Using Gephi 0.9.1 to visualize OrientDB graphs

William

Jan 28, 2017, 12:08:57 PM1/28/17
to OrientDB
I've got some big graphs that I'd like to visualize that are much larger than anything Studio can handle in a browser window.  So, I wanted to try and load them into Gephi.

I found these instructions http://orientdb.com/docs/2.0/orientdb.wiki/Gephi.html for doing it but it won't display the graph.

From the looks of things, there's a bug in Gephi (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38270636/streaming-orientdb-graphs-to-gephi) in which it loads the graph but doesn't display it.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?  Is there a file format that I can just save a query result into and then load into Gephi?

Thanks!
  -William

Tore

Feb 22, 2017, 4:40:33 AM2/22/17
to OrientDB
William,

old news I'm afraid. Given up, but since Studio has improved tremendously over the last year I find it useful.
Please consider using match {} return $elements. This way you may downsize your graph to make more sense.
Hope you have enough RAM to bump up -Xmx...

Good luck!

Tore

William McLendon

Feb 22, 2017, 12:37:31 PM2/22/17
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

Unfortunately, some of the results from a match search that I might want to visualize are larger than what the UI in Studio can handle... I'm also interested in layout algorithms other than the force-directed layout that Studio supports.

The Java API from OrientDB wouldn't happen to have a save option for GraphML, GEXF, or some other format, would it?

Thanks!
  -William

--

---

Tore Austrått

Feb 22, 2017, 1:17:30 PM2/22/17
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
William,

first of all, I don't know much about any of the options you request.

Regarding Studio, I find it useful when looking for confirmation of a structure
after uploading data even in a large scale.

However, visualizing graphs of 2000+ nodes/edges makes little sense in Studio.

Don't know what you actually are looking for, but my suggestion is more in the
direction of:

Hope this helps,

Tore

--
Tore Austrått
phone +47 90657231

Robert Morgan

Apr 20, 2017, 2:52:30 AM4/20/17
to OrientDB
William,

I realize you cited Gephi 0.9.1, but if you can use Gephi 0.8.2 (with Java 6) there are options.  You can use the two Gephi Blueprints plugins from 'https://github.com/datablend/gephi-blueprints-plugin/wiki' and then simply import the 'export.graphml' file produced below (the wiki describes using the plugins to directly connect to the Orientdb instance but I simply imported the file):

gremlin> g = new OrientGraph("remote:localhost/GratefulDeadConcerts");
==>orientgraph[remote:localhost/GratefulDeadConcerts]
gremlin> g.saveGraphML('export.graphml');
==>null
gremlin>

The resulting 'export.graphml' file opened just fine in Gephi 0.8.2.

Hope that gives you a lead,
Robert