Pyorient record_create passing null values when unicode strings provided...

John S

Sep 29, 2016, 12:11:10 PM9/29/16
to OrientDB
Hello everyone,

I'm knew to OrientDB and pyorient, but it's a great piece of software and I am excited to use it for a project. I have a very large amount of xml text that I'm parsing and placing in a DB I have created. I am using the record_create() method in pyorient to create a record rather than sending SQL syntax commands via .command(). I went through a few hundred entries flawlessly before I started getting duplicate entry errors via pyorient for records that I knew for certain were not in the DB. When I investigated, it turned out that one of the extracted strings in my xml file was a unicode rather than a str type. From what I can see from the error message, OrientDB is getting the create record request... but any parameter that's a unicode string is being either received by OrientDB or sent by pyorient as "null." This is why I was getting duplicate records... this has apparently happened before on the record index variable. I need to find a way to fix this. I know my data must contain unicode strings and symbols. Not many, but they'll turn up now and again. Is there a setting somewhere where I either pyorient or OrientDB is limited in its charset (I already changed the config.xml to UTF-16 btw)?

I have more information and code on Stack Overflow if you want to take a look there:

This also seems very similar to a problem this guy had

I'm thinking possibly this is a bug in pyorient's