[Breaking News] CallidusCloud Acquires OrientDB, the Leading Multi-Model Database Technology

Luca Garulli

Sep 19, 2017, 3:11:16 PM9/19/17
to OrientDB
Hi guys,

I'd like to share this amazing news with the community:

http://orientdb.com/calliduscloud-acquires-orientdb-the-leading-multi-model-database-technology/

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli
Founder & CEO

ad...@cs.miami.edu

Sep 19, 2017, 10:50:11 PM9/19/17
to OrientDB
Congrats

Christian MICHON

Sep 20, 2017, 2:44:38 AM9/20/17
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Will OrientDB Community Edition remain opensource and maintained/upgraded?

Christian

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Sep 20, 2017, 4:06:54 AM9/20/17
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Sure it will!

Hi

Will OrientDB remain opensource?

Christian

--

---

Manabu Tokunaga

Sep 20, 2017, 10:39:16 AM9/20/17
to OrientDB
Luca and the Team,

Congratulations. As also a startup CEO, this is the day I would dream of when we start a company. It's a lot of work to get there to create a good product and have someone to acquire it. It is a necessary stage of growth.

Luca, I hope that you will continue to keep the original spirit of the company, not just the same PR blurb in all M/R press releases, and truly nurture the people and the community that helped you to build it and hope that ODB will become the "de-facto" DB technology.

We will be counting on you.

Manabu Tokunaga
CEO, WinguMD, Inc.

Hristo Stoyanov

Sep 21, 2017, 4:51:09 PM9/21/17
to OrientDB
Luca- Congratulations!

Now ti is very important to have an official announcement on the fate of the OrientDB Community Edition. I never heard of CallidusCloud and I am not sure what they want from a general purpose graph database.I am putting a hold on my project until I hear more definitive news.

ad...@cs.miami.edu

Sep 21, 2017, 5:37:58 PM9/21/17
to OrientDB
>> Now ti is very important to have an official announcement on the fate of the OrientDB Community Edition. I never heard of CallidusCloud and I am not sure what they want from a general purpose graph database.I am putting a hold on my project until I hear more definitive news.

I agree, I had just started with OrientDB, but this announcement gives me pause.  It is an odd acquisition, as CallidusCloud is not really a DB company (never heard of them until this announcement).  Luigi has stated that the open source goodness will continue.  And I see no reason not to trust him on that.  But more clarity is important for the community.

-Adam

hartmut bischoff

Sep 22, 2017, 5:13:44 AM9/22/17
to OrientDB
This were my first thoughts, too.
We all remember the path mysql took, after oracle acquired it.

The development is not surprising though, if I recall correctly, private equity invested in the company about a year ago.
Since the official announcement of  Callidus (there has been a REUTERS announcement), their share price went down.
Sadly, OrientDB is now Property of one of those very high valued companies, which don't generate profits (P/E: -67, P/B: 6,7). This leads to the suspicion, that there are interested in short-term revenues only.
This darkens the prospects for the community edition and sends a negative signal to customers of the enterprise edition.

Riccardo Tasso

Sep 22, 2017, 8:33:05 AM9/22/17
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations,
 I hope that more resources and more interest for the database will improve what is already a great product.

Riccardo

Manabu Tokunaga

Sep 22, 2017, 9:42:49 AM9/22/17
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting discussions. I have been in many situations where "I've been acquired. Everything discussed here is a very legitimate customer concern and hope that there will be official and confirmed answers from the new company.

In terms of the community aspect of it, we know, for example, there are OpenJDK vs Oracle Java and MariaDB vs mySQL type situations where they are functionally compatible forks derived from the acquired base. If this is possible, then as a community, we have protection.

ad...@cs.miami.edu

Sep 22, 2017, 1:24:37 PM9/22/17
to OrientDB
>>We all remember the path mysql took, after oracle acquired it.

I am not a heavy mysql user, but I don't think mysql took a terrible turn after oracle.  Mysql still seems to be aviable when I want to install it, there is still a large communit support network, and it more less works as expected, but perhaps those who are more invested in mysql will view the situation different.

-Adam

Tielman Van Vleck

Sep 22, 2017, 5:58:32 PM9/22/17
to OrientDB
True, but Oracle understands databases. Luca (we met in Austin last year): you will have to fight hard for autonomy and constantly prove the relevance of OrientDB within a company with other priorities. Remember what happened to CompuServe after H&R Block bought them - Block intended to keep the product alive, but really bought them for their computing hardware and wouldn't give them the capital needed to compete against AOL's marketing. Oops... don't let CC forget that story!

-Tielman

Luca Garulli

Sep 22, 2017, 7:21:51 PM9/22/17
to OrientDB
Hi all,

OrientDB is here to stay. CallidusCloud bought OrientDB as an investment in the Graph and Multi-Model technology because they believe this is the best technology in the DBMS world.

In the last months, we've seen the closing of some of the DBMS companies that weren't able to be sustainable after years (Basho, RethinkDB, etc). I'm sure it has been a pain for their clients that have seen their investments failing and a migration to another DBMS is a very expensive thing.

Until the last week, OrientDB was a small player, but profitable, in the crowded DBMS market. Thanks to CallidusCloud (a public company on NASDAQ), OrientDB is now the most solid company in the NoSQL space.

So this is a good news for both clients and users!

OrientDB Community Enterprise remains Open Source with the same Apache 2 license. OrientDB Enterprise Edition remains commercial. All the clients continue to be supported.

I hope this responded to your concerns.

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli
VP OrientDB

Hristo Stoyanov

Sep 22, 2017, 7:55:26 PM9/22/17
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Luca,
It's best to put out a blog or news announcement that clearly states that:
1. All OrientDB features currently available in the Community edition will stay there.
2. There will be no drastic price increase for those who do decide to upgrade to the Enterprise edition.

Please, forgive the community for asking such questions, we have been burned before. All we ask for is clarity and transparency. I can totally understand if the above is no longer sustainable and the new owner has other OrientDB monetization plans. On the other hand, there is no shortage of db choices for us out there. For my next project, I have been trying to decide between OrientDB vs CockroachDB, so news like this can easily push me in the other direction.

parman...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2017, 5:38:03 AM10/23/17
to OrientDB
Would like to know the reason Callidus Cloud bought OrientDB, other than an investment. I don't see any previous transactions that they have made that would help us figure out the future of OrientDB. Would really appreciate this cleared up.

My guess is that they want to drive the project to their use case using a very good DBMS. Everyone elses needs or wants will be lower priority.

Mike
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to orient-databa...@googlegroups.com.

Luca Garulli

Oct 23, 2017, 5:43:36 AM10/23/17
to OrientDB
Hi Hristo,
Sorry for the delay.

- All OrientDB features currently available in the Community edition will stay there.

The only feature will be moved to the Enterprise Edition is sharding. Today we support only manual sharding, in the future, we will support automatic sharding (it's on our roadmap since ages ago)

- There will be no drastic price increase for those who do decide to upgrade to the Enterprise edition.

Correct.

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli

On 23 September 2017 at 01:55, Hristo Stoyanov <hr.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Luca,
It's best to put out a blog or news announcement that clearly states that:
- All OrientDB features currently available in the Community edition will stay there.
- There will be no drastic price increase for those who do decide to upgrade to the Enterprise edition.

Please, forgive the community for asking such questions, we have been burned before.

Luca Garulli

Oct 23, 2017, 5:48:15 AM10/23/17
to OrientDB
Hi Mike,

This is not the case. We would never accept to sell the company to a buyer that doesn't want to invest into the product.

Even if it's true that Callidus Cloud uses OrientDB for a few mission-critical projects, the plans are not only to continue the development of OrientDB Open Source and Commercial versions but also to expand OrientDB.

Soon will be announced important news and features.

I hope to have answered to all your questions, fears and doubts :-)

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli