Pure in-memory setup without any disk usage

Jaime A

Apr 16, 2015, 4:32:48 AM4/16/15
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If I'm using the in-memory OrientDB server why do I get this message?

Apr 16, 2015 10:01:54 AM com.orientechnologies.common.log.OLogManager log
INFO: Auto-config DISKCACHE=1,137MB (heap=910MB osMemory=4,096MB)

I cannot find on the docs how do I disable any disk usage.
Additionally, how can I control the amount of heap memory used? I only found the memory.optimizeThreshold parameter on docs and it seems deprecated

Thanks in advance

P.S. I create my DB simply using

protected val graph: OrientGraph = new OrientGraph(s"memory:graph-${UUID.randomUUID().toString}")

W. Craig Trader

Apr 16, 2015, 4:42:23 PM4/16/15
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
The disk cache that messge refers to is the amount of memory available to cache data that would normally be stored on disk, not the amount of disk being used to cache data that would otherwise be in RAM. An in-memory database uses no disk space (unless your OS pages your process to disk, in which case you have other problems). Refer to core/src/main/java/com/orientechnologies/orient/core/config/OGlobalConfiguration.java for details.

To increase the maximum heap space, you'll need to change the value that is passed to java (-XmxnnnM). You can either edit your server startup script, or in your environment set and export the JAVA_OPTS variable with your parameter (eg: export JAVA_OPTS=-Xmx4g to set the max heap size to 4096MB).

- Craig -

--

---

Jaime A

Apr 17, 2015, 5:29:33 AM4/17/15
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

first of all thanks for your time. I have some guesses from what you said but I'd appreciate if somebody can confirm my thoughts please. Does the DISKCACHE value affects an in-memory graph scenario at all? Should I set it to 0 or it doesn't matter at all?

If the disk allocation doesn't affect the boot time, what could be impacting the boot time as I got over 1 sec to create an empty graph on memory?

Can I specify internally (not through the JVM options) a % of available memory the graph should take?

Thanks again