OrientDB Enhancement Process

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Jun 21, 2016, 2:52:53 AM6/21/16
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

OrientDB v.2.2 was released a few weeks ago, now we are starting the development of v 3.0 and we think it's the perfect moment to introduce a new tool: OEP.

OrientDB is an extremely rich product (some users complain that it has "too many" features), so one of the main goals of v 3.0 is to rationalize it, make it easier to understand an to use, and above all, make it more coherent and consistent.

We would like to do it with the help and the support of the community, so we decided to adopt an approach that puts transparency and discussion above all

We called it OEP - OrientDB Enhancement Process, it's obviously inspired by JEP in the format, but don't worry, it will be much lighter and more agile.

here you can find all the details of the process, the goals and the motivation.

Every OEP will discuss a single enhancement/feature-change for next release(s).

One of the main goals of OEPs is to give the community a tool to understand the roadmap and to actively participate to the feature definition, so PLEASE comment, vote, write your thoughts and feel free to help on the development if you wish.
Please, also feel free to comment OEP_0, the process itself is under experimentation ;-)

If you think it's worth opening a new OEP, please open an issue ON THE MAIN OrientDB issue tracker (not on 'orientdb-labs', the OEP issue tracker), the core team will discuss your proposal and will eventually create an OEP for you.

Technical details:
- all the OEPs are listed here https://github.com/orientechnologies/orientdb-labs/issues you can use the issue tracker to comment.
- for every OEP there is an OEP_x.md file here https://github.com/orientechnologies/orientdb-labs that keeps the current status of the proposal and the history

Thanks

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Francisco Reyes

Jun 21, 2016, 9:33:42 AM6/21/16
to OrientDB
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 2:52:53 AM UTC-4, Luigi Dell'Aquila wrote:
OrientDB v.2.2 was released a few weeks ago, now we are starting the development of v 3.0 and we think it's the perfect moment to introduce a new tool: OEP.

As far as I see it OEP is what you plan to do and want to have input.. How about a place to request features and see what others are requesting? uservoice?

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Jun 21, 2016, 9:38:19 AM6/21/16
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francisco,

To request new features, just open an issue on the main issue tracker

or vote one of the existing "enhancement" issues

If you think your request is "big" enough to deserve and OEP feel free to suggest it in the issue description

Thanks

Luigi

--

---

Francisco Reyes

Jun 21, 2016, 10:08:46 AM6/21/16
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
From the list of existing features how can you tell how popular it is? Like with uservoice you can easily see "votes". How does that work with these tickets?

--

---

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Jun 21, 2016, 10:15:01 AM6/21/16
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
AFAIK GitHub does not show votes in the search results, you have to open single issues to see votes...

scott molinari

Jun 21, 2016, 11:06:19 AM6/21/16
to OrientDB
You can sort according to "most reactions". So if everyone uses the thumbs up reaction to vote, you can filter and sort accordingly.

Scott