Distributed mode with multicast enabled don't work.

Luc Evers

Mar 20, 2016, 5:19:09 AM3/20/16
to OrientDB
  Info

   OrientDB version: 2.1.13

   Test:  3 servers on the same lan, running ubuntu (14.04).
             OrientDB (root password installed), we didn't touch any configuration or database.

        1)     Start dserver.sh  on the three servers, they start as separated servers!  No error reports. (multicast enabled="true")
                Result:  no distributed database, the three orientdb servers are running as separated databases.

        2)      Change hazelcast.html :   multicast enabled="false"    and extend  tcp-ip enbled="true" (fill in the three server ip addresses)
                  Result:  everything works fine, we have now a distributed database.

   Do we need an additional configuration change to start the database in multicast mode?

   We are interested in the multicastmode because in this mode you can add a server on the fly.
   In the other case (tcp-ip) you need to change the hazelcast.xml on all the servers?  (+ reload server)

Message has been deleted

Luca Son

Mar 20, 2016, 7:13:43 AM3/20/16
to OrientDB
Hi Luc,

I tried your case by using Oracle VM VirtualBox and the following configurations:
  • 3 nodes and "root" password for each node;
  • <multicast enabled="true"> in hazelcast.xml;
  • other configurations all default.
When I start up the 3 nodes they work correctly as distributed, do you have any other configuration in your environment ?

About your second question, I found this documentation about hazelcast configuration to be TCP/IP cluster.

Hope it helps

Luca

Luc Evers

Mar 23, 2016, 5:47:23 AM3/23/16
to OrientDB

Op zondag 20 maart 2016 12:13:43 UTC+1 schreef Luca Son:
  Strange, de cluster don't work on seperate servers! No config changed, only download , install root password and then start cluster.

Luca Garulli

Mar 23, 2016, 6:36:40 AM3/23/16
to OrientDB
Is it working if you configure manual IP addresses?

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli
Founder & CEO

--

---

Luc Evers

Mar 23, 2016, 8:58:17 AM3/23/16
to OrientDB
  Luca,

    If I fill in the ip address in the hazelcast configuration then the cluster starts successful.
    I was following the OrientDB course on Udemy which very good described how to start the cluster via multicast.

   Best Regard,

    Luc.

Luc Evers

Apr 17, 2016, 10:34:52 AM4/17/16
to OrientDB
   Luca,  More information:

  New test with orient : 2.1.15

  Result same problem:  no cluster with my two servers.

  servers A:  ubuntu version 14.04 LTS + docker installed

  Second test :  move to another server pair:

  serversB: ubuntu version 12.04 LTS  no docker installed.

  Result:  No problem with multicast enabled="true", the cluster is working fine!

 The difference between the two server pairs is the Ubuntu version and docker is installed in servers A.
  If I shut down docker + docker0 link I got an error from OrientDB that the network was down.
  I think OrientDB has problems with the network configuration if docker is installed.

Rem:
    /sbin/ifconfig ->  servers A     -> em1  (= network interface)
                              servers B     -> eth0

Luc Evers

Apr 17, 2016, 10:48:33 AM4/17/16
to OrientDB
  Rem

     Both servers A are working fine in cluster if I use fix Ip addresses, like before.

Luc Evers

Apr 24, 2016, 5:24:34 AM4/24/16
to OrientDB
   Luca,

     Can you try the same test but now with docker installed on the servers?

   Luc.

Luca Garulli

Apr 24, 2016, 11:01:25 AM4/24/16
to OrientDB
Hi Luc,
I guess in the non working cfg, the multicast is simply off.

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli
Founder & CEO

Luc Evers