Class name stored in every record in cluster PCL file

cm-perrs

Feb 5, 2018, 8:31:26 PM2/5/18
to OrientDB
Hi,

We are using OrientDB as document database in plocal mode. Classes are schema-mixed. We manage cluster selection by some record fields such as timestamp, using doc.save(clusterName).

When looking inside cluster PCL files I find that every record has the class name as a string. This has a massive impact on the size of the file when the record is small.

Why is class name saved with every record? The cluster belongs to the class by oClass.addCluster(clusterName), so maybe the class name in the record is redundant?

Thanks, Chris

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Feb 6, 2018, 3:46:53 AM2/6/18
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Yes, it's something we already considered. We couldn't manage to refactor it in v 3.0 just for a matter of priorities, but I can tell you that we will do it soon

Thanks

Luigi

--

---

Ata Annamamedov

Feb 8, 2018, 8:29:55 AM2/8/18
to OrientDB
Dear Luigi,
will it break DB files compatibility then?
Maybe it is better to have such dramatic change before v3.0 is out (fix it while moving from v2.x to 3.0), to make migration to next 3.X versions smoother?

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Feb 8, 2018, 8:47:19 AM2/8/18
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ata,

It will be a different format, but we will keep backward compatibility. It's pretty hard to do it now, as it's not a trivial change and we are close to the release

Thanks

Luigi

cm-perrs

Feb 22, 2018, 8:07:11 AM2/22/18
to OrientDB
Hi Luigi,

I would be happy to help contribute to this, as it is having a severe impact on file size in our application. Please can you point me to the classes where the issue is?

Thanks,
Chris

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Feb 22, 2018, 9:01:28 AM2/22/18