Restore backup created from a different instance

AnSDE007

Aug 30, 2017, 11:37:22 AM8/30/17
to OrientDB
I am new to OrientDB.

We are evaluating an open source master patient index application which uses embedded Enterprise OrientDB 2.2.17.  One of the DR (Disaster Recovery) requirements is to be able to restore the backup on a different server/instance.  Below are the steps that I have taken and so far I have not been able to get this working.

1. On server 1, schedule a non-blocking backup in Full+Incremental mode in Studio Management
2. On server 1, wait until *full.ibu and *.ibu are created.  In Production, there will be a script that copy these files to a file system on a different file server every night.
3. On server 2, copy those *.ibu and *full.ibu files from step #2
4. On server 2, launch Studio Management and attempt to access and restore the backups

The issue I am having is that the Studio Management on server 2 does not appear to recognize the *full.ibu and the *.ibu files.  Hence, I am unable to restore the database on server 2.

Am I missing any key steps here?  Is there a different approach to accomplish this?

Luca Garulli

Aug 30, 2017, 12:41:49 PM8/30/17
to OrientDB
Hi,

AFAIK in OrientDB Studio, Enterprise Restore feature, reads some metadata, this could explain why just copying the files won't work.

@Enrico, WDYT?

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli
Founder & CEO

--

---

AnSDE007

Aug 30, 2017, 12:49:53 PM8/30/17
to OrientDB
Luca,

Thank you for your quick response.  Any guidance on how to accomplish storing non-blocking backups (*.ibu files) on a different instance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Enrico Risa

Aug 30, 2017, 3:27:16 PM8/30/17
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

the metadata of the backups are stored inside the OSystem database.

In order to restore the same situation of backups you should also copy

1) The file $ORIENTDB_HOME/config/backups.json
2) The OSystem database

AnSDE007

Aug 30, 2017, 5:25:20 PM8/30/17
to OrientDB, enric...@gmail.com
Enrico,

That worked and thank you very much.

Is this a typical process to backup/restore for DR?  If not, would you mind sharing how most people setup their backup/restore for DR?

Thanks.

Luca Garulli

Aug 31, 2017, 9:36:50 AM8/31/17
to OrientDB, Enrico Risa
Hi,

Are the 2 servers in HA or are independent?

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli
Founder & CEO

AnSDE007

Aug 31, 2017, 5:31:23 PM8/31/17
to OrientDB, enric...@gmail.com
At the moment, they are independent.  But the team might decide to put them in HA in the future.

Luca Garulli

Sep 1, 2017, 7:41:53 AM9/1/17
to OrientDB, Enrico Risa
If they are in HA, you don't need this backup/restore procedure, right?

Best Regards,

Luca Garulli
Founder & CEO