Problems for new comers to OrientDB from NoSQL or SQL world

Ramazan POLAT

Apr 18, 2015, 8:39:34 AM4/18/15
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am new to OrientDB and I have just finished the OrientDB Getting Started course on udemy.

I am struggling to use OrientDB as I expected. It is really confusing and hard to write a Java code to do all CRUD operations.

I though it will be easy to use OrientDB since I am already familiar with MongoDB and using it since version 2.2.

But when I started coding for OrientDB, I was just shocked to see there is a big gap between learning what OrientDB is and coding for OrientDB. Our project based on OrientDB will take longer than I thought and I thing we will behind schedule :(

So I though I should just make a spreadsheet to overcome that gap and all those confusions. But I couldn't do it all by myself since I am new.

For me and all newcomers can you please fill out this form to clarify all those confusions.

I think this spreadsheet will help very much to every newcomer like me to get into Graph database band with OrientDB.

Please make this post sticky so the spreadsheet gets filled quickly.

Colin

Apr 20, 2015, 11:17:58 AM4/20/15
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ramazan,

We're working to improve the documentation and the training course.  However, have you looked at the OrientDB documentation?

http://orientdb.com/docs/last/orientdb.wiki/Choosing-between-Graph-or-Document-API.html

http://orientdb.com/docs/last/orientdb.wiki/Graph-Database-Tinkerpop.html

http://orientdb.com/docs/last/orientdb.wiki/Document-Database.html

Best regards,

-Colin

Orient Technologies

The Company behind OrientDB

Ramazan POLAT

Apr 20, 2015, 4:32:25 PM4/20/15
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Colin,
I have already checked the documentation but I think documentation is weak.

For example in GraphAPI section, it says:
for (Vertex v : graph.getVertices()) {
    System.out.println(v.getProperty("name"));
}
Bu this code checks the name property for all vertices. In most projects, there may be lots of different Vertex Classes with the same property name. There is no way to check for an individual vertex class(or maybe I couldn't find the way).

As an experienced NoSQL and SQL developer, somehow I find it hard to use OrientDB. Maybe its lack of my knowledge but there should be a table describing all CRUD operations for all APIs with sufficient examples. That's why I have created that spreadsheet.

Before starting our project, I have read a lot of material about OrientDB and the problem about documentation is mentioned in several articles. So I thought maybe I can contribute to the documentation or even write my own tutorial about OrientDB for Java Developers Unfortunately at this point, I find it hard to even use it myself. I think that CRUD table should already be there in the documentation long time ago. Since its already decided to use OrientDB for our project, I will stick with it but lack of such information discourages me and I thing most of the newcomers feel the same way.

For experienced users, it may be too trivial to fill that spreadsheet but for the newcomers, it will be priceless.

Thanks.