The semantics with "clusters" in ODB

scott molinari

Jun 10, 2016, 3:44:02 AM6/10/16
to OrientDB
Hi,

From a horizontal scaling, distributed database standpoint, I feel the semantics used in ODB aren't quite right (although they are pretty cool nonetheless). I apologize for being pedantic, but to me, a "cluster" should be a group of nodes in the distributed data setup. As I understand computing distribution, what ODB calls "clusters" should actually be called "shards", as it is the concept of sharding that is being done with the clusters, right?

Or am I totally out to lunch?

Scott

Luigi Dell'Aquila

Jun 10, 2016, 3:57:25 AM6/10/16
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott,

I think you are right, and I think all the rest of OrientDB team will agree with you. The name "cluster" is completely misleading when talking about physical data portions.
Some time ago I proposed to use the name "data file" to refer to physical files that contain data (that is what clusters are now), but "shards" makes a lot of sense as well (at a logical level).

The real problem here is that all our docs use the word "cluster" to refer to data files and a lot of users are used to that.
From my point of view, we could start to change this naming and gradually review all our docs

My 2 cents

Luigi

--

---

scott molinari

Jun 10, 2016, 4:43:55 AM6/10/16
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luigi,

I am glad I am not out to lunch! LOL!

Because it is such a big change, I'd consider it something to tackle in 3.0 actually. I wouldn't even mind helping with the docs.

How about the code? Are there a lot of changes to be made, so the code also uses the proper semantics?

This page would make a whole lot more sense after the change. :-)

http://orientdb.com/docs/last/Distributed-Sharding.html

Sentences like this were a "WTF" moment for me initially, coming from MongoDB.

OrientDB automatically creates a new cluster per each class as soon as node joins the distributed cluster.

Much better....

OrientDB automatically creates a new shard per class as soon as a node joins the distributed cluster.

:-)

Scott

Eric24

Jun 10, 2016, 10:42:46 AM6/10/16
to OrientDB
+1

Francisco Reyes

Jun 27, 2016, 8:26:00 AM6/27/16
to orient-...@googlegroups.com

but to me, a "cluster" should be a group of nodes in the distributed data setup

+1
If we decide on a name I could help with the documentation, or have someone in my company do it, so have we decided on a name yet?

[Edit to clarify - documentation]

scott molinari

Sep 22, 2016, 2:05:58 AM9/22/16
to OrientDB
For those of you interested, you can vote for this OEP (OrientDB Enhancement Proposal) for Version 3.0, which I've created for this subject.

If you have any other improvements to the proposal I could add, please let me know!

Scott