The Governors shutting down schools is very Anti-Progressive!

a425couple

Mar 18, 2020, 2:13:33 PM3/18/20
The Governors shutting down schools is very Anti-Progressive!
Crazy.

The "Haves" can handle these shut downs much better than
the "Have Nots".
Maybe it's needed,,, or for the best, but it is seriously
going to hurt a lot of people.

a425couple

Mar 18, 2020, 2:29:35 PM3/18/20
from
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/us/impact-coronavirus-long-term-school-closures/index.html

The coronavirus pandemic could shut down schools for months, leaving
some students hungry and far behind their peers
Nicole Chavez, associate writer CNN Digital
By Nicole Chavez, CNN

Updated 8:19 AM ET, Mon March 16, 2020
SOTU ohio schools_00000529

Ohio Gov: Schools may not reopen this semester 00:45
(CNN)Classrooms will be empty from coast to coast in the coming weeks as
the novel coronavirus spreads and officials say indefinite closures are
a real possibility.

If schools were to shut down long term, one of the greatest challenges
for teachers, officials and school administrators would come down to
ensuring all students have equal education opportunities and that their
food and housing security is not put in jeopardy.
School closures of 8 weeks or more may better mitigate coronavirus
spread, CDC says
School closures of 8 weeks or more may better mitigate coronavirus
spread, CDC says
More than 1.5 million public school students in the United States
experienced homelessness during the 2017-2018 school year, according to
a recent report by the National Center for Homeless Education. Many more
students are considered underserved.
School officials have announced short-term closures -- from a couple of
days to five weeks -- in hopes of mitigating the spread of the disease.
You asked, we're answering: Your top coronavirus questions
But the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said those
shorter-term closures will likely make little difference and said that
closing schools for eight weeks or more might be more effective.
Ultimately, the decision is in the hands of school administrations and
local health officials, according to the CDC's coronavirus guidelines
for schools.
Students could be scrambling to eat
When Washington's largest school district announced that students will
have to stay home, Lashana Williams started raising money to cook
oatmeal and eggs for them.
"It's not fancy, but it's the best that we can do," said Williams, a
massage therapist in Seattle, who is giving students breakfast at a
coffee shop in the city's South Park neighborhood. "We are not in a
neighborhood with enormous means but we do have the means to take care
of each other."
The coronavirus pandemic is closing schools. How will kids eat?
The coronavirus pandemic is closing schools. How will kids eat?
The US Department of Agriculture, which oversees the country's school
nutrition programs, says more than 20 million students rely on free
school meals each day. Many children and teens eat breakfast and lunch
at school because their families can't afford food for their entire
families.
In an effort to continue feeding students, the federal government is
allowing schools that usually serve meals during the summer months to
feed students during the emergency closures. But experts say that may
not be enough.
The problem is that a considerably lesser number of meals are offered
when students are on summer break. Only about 2.6 million children get
meals through the USDA's Summer Food Service Program, one of two
programs created to feed students during the summer months. Figures for
the National School Lunch Program's Seamless Summer Option were not
immediately available.
Diane Pratt-Heavner, a spokeswoman for the School Nutrition Association,
said the group is pushing federal officials to relax more rules amid the
pandemic and make sure children are fed.
Many schools and groups are not "quite eligible" to be part of those
summer programs but they still serve children in need. The churches,
parks and unused schools approved to distribute meals in the summer must
be in areas where at least half of the children come from low-income
families.
Janitors sanitized schools after coronavirus fears and a Vermont
community raised money to pay them extra
Janitors sanitized schools after coronavirus fears and a Vermont
community raised money to pay them extra
The reality is that "needy students live in all communities,"
Pratt-Heavner said.
So far, the USDA has approved some changes through June 30 in several
states, such as Washington and California, allowing students to pick up
their food and go home instead of eating in "congregate feeding" sites.
Even if the schools provide the meals, it's unclear whether all students
who need them can travel to pick them up. Some schools plan to deliver a
limited amount of meals door-to-door but Williams said community members
"can't wait for the big machine to do the work."
Online classes are on the rise but not every home has a computer
Randy Huybers spent the week measuring and mixing chemicals in front of
a camera in an empty classroom at Woodinville High School.
The chemistry teacher's students can't attend the suburban Seattle
school but they have been watching and interacting with him from home.
"I was very anxious (at first) but I was amazed at the kids' responses
and how human it felt to interact with them through the screen," Huybers
told CNN.
Huybers and his colleagues at the Northshore school district have been
able to fully implement distance learning. Many other schools in the
country have similar capabilities, are using video conference platforms
such as Zoom and are getting teachers ready for online teaching.

Parents scramble as virus fears cause school closures 01:58
Katy Payne, a spokeswoman with the Washington Office of Superintendent
of Public Instruction, said most schools in the state can't follow
Northshore's lead and the agency is advising against trying to implement
a full online curriculum on short notice.
Just a few miles away, the 53,000 students part of Seattle Public
Schools are not switching to online classes because not all of them have
internet access or a computer..
"If we can't provide that online learning for all of our students ...
it's not fair to do it (only) for some students," Tim Robinson, a
spokesman for the school district.
In rural Tennessee, Melissa Ryckman, an associate professor of history
at Martin Methodist College, said some of her students rely on the
library's computers to write their papers.
"I have students who don't have internet at their house unless the trees
are bare because they're using a satellite dish," Ryckman said.
As many as 12 million school-aged children live in homes without
broadband access, according to a 2017 report by the US Congress Joint
Economic Committee.
Scholastic is offering free online courses so your kids can keep
learning while schools are closed
Scholastic is offering free online courses so your kids can keep
learning while schools are closed
FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel has argued the government must do
more to encourage internet providers to build in less-profitable areas,
such as rural and low-income districts.
As schools announced the closings, students were sent home with
workbooks, instructional packets and even with borrowed laptops and WiFi
hotspots.
In California, the Los Angeles Unified School District is teaming up
with public television stations to broadcast educational shows on three
channels.
The district, the largest in California, estimates half of its students
don't have computers or tablets, and 25% of them don't have access to
internet at home.
While the outcome for students who can't take online classes remains
unknown, some experts say distance learning may still pose challenges
for younger children who have the tools.
Teachers would need to lean on parents to guide younger children to type
and use the software or simply make sure they pay attention to the lessons.
"It's going to be very difficult to have a youngster sitting by the
computer for a five-, six- or seven-hour school day with a teacher,
engaging in activities," said Daniel A. Domenech, executive director of
the American Association of School Administrators during a discussion at
The Brookings Institution's Brown Center on Education Policy.
Student testing is in limbo
The pandemic is delaying standardized testing for current and
prospective students at schools across the country. It could have an
impact on college admissions and how academic achievement is measured.
Test scores count for more than just a letter grade for a school. In
some states, they are used to evaluate teachers, leading to salary
raises and bonuses.
Trump said he's waiving federal student loan interest due to
coronavirus. Here's how it will work.
Trump said he's waiving federal student loan interest due to
coronavirus. Here's how it will work.
Last week, US Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos issued guidance for
elementary and secondary schools and said the department may consider
waiving federal assessment requirements.
Each state will have to decide whether to cancel or delay the tests.
Some schools have suggested they could be extending the school year and
use snow days that had been built into their calendars.
In Texas, state lawmakers called for the cancellation of the state's
assessment program for the current school year, saying students should
have time to receive the required instruction time without having to
extend the school year. The Texas Education Agency has said it will
issue formal guidance later this week.
Meanwhile in Ohio, Gov. Mike DeWine has said he's discussing options
with educators.
"We're not going to let testing get in the way of life," DeWine said,
according to CNN affiliate WSYX reported. "If we can't have testing this
year, we can't have testing this year. The world will not come to an end."
Colleges and universities could see a dip in enrollment if domestic and
international students are not able to take their SAT and ACT tests.
If you're a college student affected by coronavirus or the parent of
one, here's what you need to know
If you're a college student affected by coronavirus or the parent of
one, here's what you need to know
More than 100 testing centers in the United States opted to not
administer the SAT test scheduled for last weekend. The College Board
said "a high number" of the cancellations were due to the coronavirus
outbreak.
Outside the US, testing for the SAT was canceled in at least 30
countries and students were issued full refunds, College Board said.
With many public schools closing, it's unclear whether the ACT test
scheduled for April 4 will take place at the around 4,000 tests sites in
the country. An ACT spokesman said they are closely monitoring the
situation but were prepared for unexpected scheduling changes.
"We've had test centers damaged by tornadoes, hurricanes and fires that
have led to cancellations. Sometimes test centers will lose power, have
a gas leak or be flooded following a water main break, resulting in a
cancellation. Each situation may be handled differently, but we
generally try to set up a reschedule date at the soonest possible date,"
said Ed Colby, a spokesman for the ACT.
Choosing the right school and completing admission requirements may be
difficult for some students.
"If there's no one on campus to meet with them, is that the right
environment for them to see what the college experience will be like?"
said Stefanie Niles, vice president for enrollment and communications at
Ohio Wesleyan University.
The closures could prevent current students from getting their diplomas
because some courses, such as science and performing arts, can't be
completed online.
CNN's Arman Azad, Brian Fung, Omar Jimenez, Julia Jones and Harmeet Kaur
contributed to this report.

PAID CONTENT

hal lillywhite

Mar 18, 2020, 2:37:19 PM3/18/20
And our governor has already announced that schools will stay closed through
April. They may have to stay closed that long, but I think such a decision is
premature. A lot can change between now and then and it may be reasonable to
open them sooner. Let's all hope and pray that such can happen.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Jilad

Mar 18, 2020, 2:46:55 PM3/18/20
A WONDERFUL opportunity for us all to HOME SCHOOL and get back to the
basics, like the Constiution and the Holy Bible!

Oh the weeping leftards - a nation brought back to the 3 Rs, and even
more vexing - GOD!

Jilad

Mar 18, 2020, 2:52:35 PM3/18/20
hal lillywhite wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 11:13:33 AM UTC-7, a425couple wrote:
>> The Governors shutting down schools is very Anti-Progressive!
>> Crazy.
>>
>> The "Haves" can handle these shut downs much better than
>> the "Have Nots".
>> Maybe it's needed,,, or for the best, but it is seriously
>> going to hurt a lot of people.
>
> And our governor has already announced that schools will stay closed through
> April. They may have to stay closed that long, but I think such a decision is
> premature.

Not is it not.

We haven't even seen the infection curve start to flatten yet.

I suggest you consider the charts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcqONILU80

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-in-charts-covid-19-symptoms-spread-deaths-warnings-2020-2?op=1#the-coronavirus-most-seriously-affects-older-people-8

> A lot can change between now and then and it may be reasonable to
> open them sooner. Let's all hope and pray that such can happen.
>
> Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

No problem with hope, plenty of issues with a premature victory lap,
especially as children are wonderfully grubby incubators for the rest of us.

hal lillywhite

Mar 18, 2020, 4:58:10 PM3/18/20
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 11:52:35 AM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:

> > And our governor has already announced that schools will stay closed through
> > April. They may have to stay closed that long, but I think such a decision is
> > premature.
>
> Not is it not.

Why? What harm would be done if she waited till the end of March or even the
middle of April to make such an announcement?
I know all about the charts and am hopeful that they will not apply to the U.S.
Most of the data from those charts come from countries that waited much longer
that we did before restricting entrance, closing businesses, urging people
to limit contact with others, etc. There is reason to hope that we will not
have the exponential increase in cases here that they have had in countries where
the threat hit earlier.

> > A lot can change between now and then and it may be reasonable to
> > open them sooner. Let's all hope and pray that such can happen.
> >
> > Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
>
> No problem with hope, plenty of issues with a premature victory lap,
> especially as children are wonderfully grubby incubators for the rest of us.

Who the hell is taking a victory lap?

Jilad

Mar 18, 2020, 5:13:35 PM3/18/20
hal lillywhite wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 11:52:35 AM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:
>
>>> And our governor has already announced that schools will stay closed through
>>> April. They may have to stay closed that long, but I think such a decision is
>>> premature.
>>
>> Not is it not.
>
> Why? What harm would be done if she waited till the end of March or even the
> middle of April to make such an announcement?

It transmits gravitas, resolve, and reminds everyone who's part of a two
person working household that they will have to make arrangements long
term for child care.

Some things are difficult to do on an ad hoc basis.

>> We haven't even seen the infection curve start to flatten yet.
>>
>> I suggest you consider the charts:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcqONILU80
>>
>> https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-in-charts-covid-19-symptoms-spread-deaths-warnings-2020-2?op=1#the-coronavirus-most-seriously-affects-older-people-8
>
> I know all about the charts and am hopeful that they will not apply to the U.S.
> Most of the data from those charts come from countries that waited much longer
> that we did before restricting entrance, closing businesses, urging people
> to limit contact with others, etc. There is reason to hope that we will not
> have the exponential increase in cases here that they have had in countries where
> the threat hit earlier.

Not necessarily so - the Chinese graph must be seen in the context of
how quickly they began quarantine and putting offenders in boxes and
taking them away.

We lack that kind of brutal first responder efficiency here, thank God!

>>> A lot can change between now and then and it may be reasonable to
>>> open them sooner. Let's all hope and pray that such can happen.
>>>
>>> Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
>>
>> No problem with hope, plenty of issues with a premature victory lap,
>> especially as children are wonderfully grubby incubators for the rest of us.
>
> Who the hell is taking a victory lap?

To suggest the schools might remain open through April isn't?

How are our kids safe if we're not and some 80% of the carriers are
silent transmitters?

Best thing we can do is set up for a potential short summer session
(June-July?) and then plan for what's ahead in the fall.

hal lillywhite

Mar 18, 2020, 7:35:33 PM3/18/20
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 2:13:35 PM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:

> >> Not is it not.
> >
> > Why? What harm would be done if she waited till the end of March or even the
> > middle of April to make such an announcement?
>
> It transmits gravitas, resolve, and reminds everyone who's part of a two
> person working household that they will have to make arrangements long
> term for child care.

And it doesn't transmit gravitas and resolve to say, "we don't know what's going
to happen. School closures may last anywhere from a couple of weeks to months.

> Some things are difficult to do on an ad hoc basis.

If parents can't prepare in two weeks, they probably can't prepare at all.
And that is better than the time they had when schools started to shut down.

> >> We haven't even seen the infection curve start to flatten yet.
> >>
> >> I suggest you consider the charts:
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcqONILU80
> >>
> >> https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-in-charts-covid-19-symptoms-spread-deaths-warnings-2020-2?op=1#the-coronavirus-most-seriously-affects-older-people-8
> >
> > I know all about the charts and am hopeful that they will not apply to the U.S.
> > Most of the data from those charts come from countries that waited much longer
> > that we did before restricting entrance, closing businesses, urging people
> > to limit contact with others, etc. There is reason to hope that we will not
> > have the exponential increase in cases here that they have had in countries where
> > the threat hit earlier.
>
> Not necessarily so - the Chinese graph must be seen in the context of
> how quickly they began quarantine and putting offenders in boxes and
> taking them away.

They covered up the problem for what? Months? And prosecuted someone for
letting the cat out of the bag. Their government has blood on its hands.

> We lack that kind of brutal first responder efficiency here, thank God!

> >> No problem with hope, plenty of issues with a premature victory lap,
> >> especially as children are wonderfully grubby incubators for the rest of us.
> >
> > Who the hell is taking a victory lap?
>
> To suggest the schools might remain open through April isn't?

How is that a victory lap? Where is the claim for any definite time frame?

> How are our kids safe if we're not and some 80% of the carriers are
> silent transmitters?

Who said they were?

> Best thing we can do is set up for a potential short summer session
> (June-July?) and then plan for what's ahead in the fall.

Get ready, yes. Plan, yes. Make a set in stone decision? Not a good idea.

This thing demands flexibility. Anyone who cannot be flexible is in trouble.

hal lillywhite

Mar 18, 2020, 7:42:22 PM3/18/20
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 4:35:33 PM UTC-7, hal lillywhite wrote:

> > Not necessarily so - the Chinese graph must be seen in the context of
> > how quickly they began quarantine and putting offenders in boxes and
> > taking them away.
>
> They covered up the problem for what? Months? And prosecuted someone for
> letting the cat out of the bag. Their government has blood on its hands.

PS, here's a good column on just how the Chinese government allowed this to get
completely out of hand, even a big Chinese New Year celebration in Wuhan. If
they were to set out to deliberately allow the disease to spread, I'm not sure
they would have done anything differently from what they did.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2020/03/18/china-destroyed-wuhan-coronavirus-evidence-n2565206

Baxter

Mar 18, 2020, 11:18:48 PM3/18/20
hal lillywhite <hlil...@juno.com> wrote in

> On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 11:52:35 AM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:
>
>> > And our governor has already announced that schools will stay
>> > closed through April. They may have to stay closed that long, but I
>> > think such a decision is premature.
>>
>> Not is it not.
>
> Why? What harm would be done if she waited till the end of March or
> even the middle of April to make such an announcement?

The harm? More dead people.

Baxter

Mar 18, 2020, 11:20:19 PM3/18/20
hal lillywhite <hlil...@juno.com> wrote in
Any you are calling for the US to do almost exactly as the Chinese did -
ignore the start of the pandemic

Jilad

Mar 18, 2020, 11:55:40 PM3/18/20
hal lillywhite wrote:

>>> Why? What harm would be done if she waited till the end of March or even the
>>> middle of April to make such an announcement?
>>
>> It transmits gravitas, resolve, and reminds everyone who's part of a two
>> person working household that they will have to make arrangements long
>> term for child care.
>
> And it doesn't transmit gravitas and resolve to say, "we don't know what's going
> to happen. School closures may last anywhere from a couple of weeks to months.

Not as much, no.

Conditional tense is less emphatic.

>> Some things are difficult to do on an ad hoc basis.
>
> If parents can't prepare in two weeks, they probably can't prepare at all.

For that long a day care booking?

> And that is better than the time they had when schools started to shut do

So?

>>> I know all about the charts and am hopeful that they will not apply to the U.S.
>>> Most of the data from those charts come from countries that waited much longer
>>> that we did before restricting entrance, closing businesses, urging people
>>> to limit contact with others, etc. There is reason to hope that we will not
>>> have the exponential increase in cases here that they have had in countries where
>>> the threat hit earlier.
>>
>> Not necessarily so - the Chinese graph must be seen in the context of
>> how quickly they began quarantine and putting offenders in boxes and
>> taking them away.
>
> They covered up the problem for what? Months?

Easily.

> And prosecuted someone for
> letting the cat out of the bag. Their government has blood on its hands.

Apples/oranges.

The curve is medically and statistically accepted.

>> We lack that kind of brutal first responder efficiency here, thank God!

>>> Who the hell is taking a victory lap?
>>
>> To suggest the schools might remain open through April isn't?
>
> How is that a victory lap? Where is the claim for any definite time frame?

Sounds like it to me.

>> How are our kids safe if we're not and some 80% of the carriers are
>> silent transmitters?
>
> Who said they were?

You missed that?

"In the period before the Chinese government threw up a massive
barricade around the province of Hubei to block the coronavirus' escape,
almost 9 out of 10 infections were transmitted by carriers who were
still healthy, according to a new simulation of the virus' spread."

https://www.sentinelsource.com/mcclatchy/how-silent-spreaders-are-fueling-the-coronavirus-pandemic/article_6f2b15ce-dd29-5d63-b7ff-9fc7c628b8ba.html

>> Best thing we can do is set up for a potential short summer session
>> (June-July?) and then plan for what's ahead in the fall.
>
> Get ready, yes. Plan, yes. Make a set in stone decision? Not a good idea.
>
> This thing demands flexibility. Anyone who cannot be flexible is in trouble.

Mexico is "flexible" wait and see what happens when spring break is done.

hal lillywhite

Mar 19, 2020, 7:33:22 AM3/19/20
Do you really think you will get by with that big lie? Where did I call for
any such thing?

hal lillywhite

Mar 19, 2020, 7:35:04 AM3/19/20
How does that kill people? They will still shut down schools if the situation
demands.

hal lillywhite

Mar 19, 2020, 7:57:54 AM3/19/20
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 8:55:40 PM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:

> >> It transmits gravitas, resolve, and reminds everyone who's part of a two
> >> person working household that they will have to make arrangements long
> >> term for child care.
> >
> > And it doesn't transmit gravitas and resolve to say, "we don't know what's going
> > to happen. School closures may last anywhere from a couple of weeks to months.
>
> Not as much, no.

I have to disagree. A politician who told the truth seems more believable to me.

> Conditional tense is less emphatic.

So what? I want truth, not close-mindedness

> >> Some things are difficult to do on an ad hoc basis.
> >
> > If parents can't prepare in two weeks, they probably can't prepare at all.
>
> For that long a day care booking?

Do you really think day care facilities are not preparing for such?

> >> Not necessarily so - the Chinese graph must be seen in the context of
> >> how quickly they began quarantine and putting offenders in boxes and
> >> taking them away.
> >
> > They covered up the problem for what? Months?
>
> Easily.
>
> > And prosecuted someone for
> > letting the cat out of the bag. Their government has blood on its hands.
>
> Apples/oranges.

The apples and oranges comparison is comparing us with China. They covered up the problem while we are doing what we can to deal with it.

> The curve is medically and statistically accepted.

And it is also accepted that we can change that curve, that is why we are doing
so many things like shutting down non-essential businesses.

> >> To suggest the schools might remain open through April isn't?
> >
> > How is that a victory lap? Where is the claim for any definite time frame?
>
> Sounds like it to me.

Not to me. Remaining flexible is not victory, it is just being ready to deal
with a changing situation.

And remember, economic problems also kill. Let's not get tunnel vision on this.
Well, apparently we already have tunnel vision. Hardly anything on the news
other than this.

> >> How are our kids safe if we're not and some 80% of the carriers are
> >> silent transmitters?
> >
> > Who said they were?
>
> You missed that?
>
> "In the period before the Chinese government threw up a massive
> barricade around the province of Hubei to block the coronavirus' escape,
> almost 9 out of 10 infections were transmitted by carriers who were
> still healthy, according to a new simulation of the virus' spread."
>
> https://www.sentinelsource.com/mcclatchy/how-silent-spreaders-are-fueling-the-coronavirus-pandemic/article_6f2b15ce-dd29-5d63-b7ff-9fc7c628b8ba.html

Non-sequiter. How does any of that claim our kids are safe?

> >> Best thing we can do is set up for a potential short summer session
> >> (June-July?) and then plan for what's ahead in the fall.
> >
> > Get ready, yes. Plan, yes. Make a set in stone decision? Not a good idea.
> >
> > This thing demands flexibility. Anyone who cannot be flexible is in trouble.
> >
> Mexico is "flexible" wait and see what happens when spring break is done.

??? We are closing beaches etc. to prevent spread of the disease and I am not
aware of any great number of people vacationing in Mexico.

BT

Mar 19, 2020, 8:58:03 AM3/19/20
Bax-Tart wrote:

> Any you are calling for the US to do almost exactly as the
> Chinese did - ignore the start of the pandemic

Whoa! Are you a racist by mentioning that it started (was created)
in China (or Chyner for Bernie Idiots).

B. T.

Baxter

Mar 19, 2020, 11:14:01 AM3/19/20
hal lillywhite <hlil...@juno.com> wrote in
You keep minimizing the problem - pushing what was tRump's line until he
finally began to recognize the problem.

Baxter

Mar 19, 2020, 11:17:03 AM3/19/20
hal lillywhite <hlil...@juno.com> wrote in
You don't understand how delaying kills people?! The situation already
demands the schools be shut down. You are calling for the US to ignore the
start of the pandemic, while condemning the Chinese for delaying.

hal lillywhite

Mar 19, 2020, 12:00:27 PM3/19/20
How do I minimize the problem. Provide even one quote from me saying that it
is not serious. No mealy-mouthed accusations, an actual quote.

hal lillywhite

Mar 19, 2020, 12:03:06 PM3/19/20
On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 8:17:03 AM UTC-7, Baxter wrote:

> You don't understand how delaying kills people?! The situation already
> demands the schools be shut down. You are calling for the US to ignore the
> start of the pandemic, while condemning the Chinese for delaying.

Just when did I suggest delay in actual action? I've only urged delay in making
decisions until appropriate information is available. Waiting a couple of weeks
to decide how long schools should stay closed is not delay of action.

And I've pointed out a problem you ignore, namely the economic and other problems
we face which have been mostly ignored. Economic problems kill quite as dead
as does this virus.

Jilad

Mar 19, 2020, 12:56:16 PM3/19/20
You got that right by mere spite.

Jilad

Mar 19, 2020, 12:57:32 PM3/19/20
Are you an endless MORON???

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2020/03/19/fox-interview-malaria-drug-to-treat-n2565260

Update: President Trump confirmed Thursday that Hydroxychloroquine has
been approved by FDA for prescription treatment of COVID-19.

“We slashed red tape to develop vaccines and therapies as fast as it can
possibly be done, long before anybody else was even thinking about doing
this,” he said. “As we race to develop a vaccine we’re also pursuing
anti-viral therapies…and to me that’s even more important. The vaccine
by its nature you have to have long tests…the therapies are something we
can move on much faster potentially.”

"Clinical trials are already underway for many new therapies," he said,
noting that if treatments have been known to be safe in other countries,
they will consider them. "Nothing will stand in our way."

But as for the use of chloroquine, or hydroxychloroquine, Trump said
it's "been around for a long time, and it's very powerful."

"The nice part is it's been around for a long time so we know if things
don't go as planned it's not going to kill anybody...It's shown very,
very encouraging early results," he said. "We're going to be able to
make that drug available almost immediately and that's where the FDA has
been so great....they took [the approval process] down from many, many
months to immediate. ... We’re going to be able to make that drug
available almost immediately."

Jilad

Mar 19, 2020, 1:09:24 PM3/19/20
And the critical demand quantifier would be...death?

Jilad

Mar 19, 2020, 1:22:56 PM3/19/20
hal lillywhite wrote:

>>> And it doesn't transmit gravitas and resolve to say, "we don't know what's going
>>> to happen. School closures may last anywhere from a couple of weeks to months.
>>
>> Not as much, no.
>
> I have to disagree. A politician who told the truth seems more believable to me.

A paid career liar who blundered into the truth?

I mean really, what is a politician but a professional lair anyway? No
wonder they love Hollyweird.

>> Conditional tense is less emphatic.

> So what? I want truth, not close-mindedness

You can't trust nor verify the "truth" where paid liars are concerned.

Nor can I.

Default setting to action, that leaves results as the metric.

>>> If parents can't prepare in two weeks, they probably can't prepare at all.
>>
>> For that long a day care booking?
>
> Do you really think day care facilities are not preparing for such?

Do you really think that giving parents a head start there is a bad thing?

Come on, this is limpid argumentation man - everyone is preparing for
the worst in all industries. That doesn't mean they're at the ready or
even close yet.

>>> They covered up the problem for what? Months?
>>
>> Easily.
>>
>>> And prosecuted someone for
>>> letting the cat out of the bag. Their government has blood on its hands.
>>
>> Apples/oranges.
>
> The apples and oranges comparison is comparing us with China. They covered up the problem while we are doing what we can to deal with it.

Agreed in large part - that said we ave to use whatever data we can
squeeze out of those commie slopes to our own advantage.

Like the Chloroquine findings, now confirmed by France.

>> The curve is medically and statistically accepted.
>
> And it is also accepted that we can change that curve, that is why we are doing
> so many things like shutting down non-essential businesses.

We are, but we have no way to know how much we can impact it. Wat we do
know is we're a few weeks behind the china curve and the infection rate
data thus far holds.

>>> How is that a victory lap? Where is the claim for any definite time frame?
>>
>> Sounds like it to me.
>
> Not to me. Remaining flexible is not victory, it is just being ready to deal
> with a changing situation.

Flexibility as infection grows is a false comfort.

> And remember, economic problems also kill. Let's not get tunnel vision on this.
> Well, apparently we already have tunnel vision. Hardly anything on the news
> other than this.

Yes, it may be a depression, even a global one with all the shutdowns.

Or it may only be one awful quarter.

My crystal ball is cloudy as to which one, or combination, and yours?

>>> Who said they were?
>>
>> You missed that?
>>
>> "In the period before the Chinese government threw up a massive
>> barricade around the province of Hubei to block the coronavirus' escape,
>> almost 9 out of 10 infections were transmitted by carriers who were
>> still healthy, according to a new simulation of the virus' spread."
>>
>> https://www.sentinelsource.com/mcclatchy/how-silent-spreaders-are-fueling-the-coronavirus-pandemic/article_6f2b15ce-dd29-5d63-b7ff-9fc7c628b8ba.html
>
> Non-sequiter. How does any of that claim our kids are safe?

They're not!

They MAY be among the 86% who are SILENT carriers!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10946159/coronavirus-silent-carrier-three-infected/

(that was prophetic - 2-12-20 byline)

Pets too, potentially...

>>> Get ready, yes. Plan, yes. Make a set in stone decision? Not a good idea.
>>>
>>> This thing demands flexibility. Anyone who cannot be flexible is in trouble.
>>>
>> Mexico is "flexible" wait and see what happens when spring break is done.
>
> ??? We are closing beaches etc. to prevent spread of the disease and I am not
> aware of any great number of people vacationing in Mexico.

That witless Florida Guv waited almost a full week into the Spring Break
Darwin session before doing so!

Mexico is doing NADA!

WTF happens when t starts to take hold there and our border remains a sieve?

https://www.garzablancaresort.com/blog/press-release/coronavirus-update-there-are-no-restrictions-on-travel-to-mexico

RESS RELEASE

As the world closely monitors the widely talked about Coronavirus
Disease 2019 (COVID-19), a new strain of virus found in humans that can
causes from mild to severe respiratory diseases, so far 77 countries
have confirmed cases of COVID-19 including the United States, Canada,
France, Germany and the United Kingdom. The first few cases of COVID-19
have also been confirmed in Mexico.

UPDATE: March 18, 2020

Entry and Exit Requirements:

There are no entry or exit restrictions in place because of COVID-19.
Mexico has implemented temperature-screening measures at some of its
airports. Passengers with abnormal temperatures and travel to high-risk
areas might be subject to additional health screening.
Beyond standard travel documentation, travelers to Mexico do not require
any additional documentation to enter or exit.
Local Resources:

Health advice for travelers seeking information is available at ports of
entry.
Call the Mexican Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 hotline at 800 0044 800
for information or medical attention. English language operators are
sometimes, but not always, available.
UPDATE: March 12, 2020

Country-Specific Information: Mexico confirmed 12 positive cases of
COVID-19 within its borders as of March 12. Additional suspected cases
continue to be investigated. Updates on the number of cases are
published daily by the Mexican Ministry of Health(Spanish).

COVID-19 Information – https://mx.usembassy.gov/

We understand that COVID-19 is a big concern for travelers right now and
many people are wondering how this worldwide outbreak will affect their
upcoming trips. If you are thinking about cancelling your travel plans
to Mexico, we would like to reassure visitors that there are currently
no restrictions in place to travel to Mexico and travelers do not
require any additional documentation to enter/exit beyond standard
travel documentation.

For the cases of COVID-19 that have been confirmed in Mexico, the
Ministry of Health has acted in accordance with the protocols
established by the World Health Organization (WHO) and adheres to strict
international guidelines related to the prevention, detection, and
treatment of diseases.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides
travel-related advice and recommendations for postponing or canceling
non-essential travel based on health risks. The CDC has so far only
issued travel notices for visitors to: China, Iran, Japan, Italy, South
Korea and Hong Kong.

Tafer Hotels & Resorts takes the health and well-being of all our guests
very seriously and will advise you in case this situation changes, but
currently there is no reason for travelers to cancel their travel plans
to Mexico.

As recommended by the CDC, if you travel, take the following standard
precautions to prevent the spread of this disease: avoid contact with
anyone who is showing signs of coughing and sneezing, cover your mouth
and nose when you cough or sneeze, wash your hands regularly or use
antibacterial gel in the absence of handwashing facilities, and do not
consume raw or undercooked meat or eggs.

More detailed information and travel safety tips can be found online at:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html

If you suspect you might have the virus, you are advised to contact the
COVID-19 hotline at 1-800-525-0127, seek medical attention, and
self-isolate.

We hope that you stay safe and we look forward to welcoming you soon at
your home away from home!

Jilad

Mar 19, 2020, 1:33:16 PM3/19/20
hal lillywhite wrote:
> On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 8:17:03 AM UTC-7, Baxter wrote:
>
>> You don't understand how delaying kills people?! The situation already
>> demands the schools be shut down. You are calling for the US to ignore the
>> start of the pandemic, while condemning the Chinese for delaying.
>
> Just when did I suggest delay in actual action? I've only urged delay in making
> decisions until appropriate information is available. Waiting a couple of weeks
> to decide how long schools should stay closed is not delay of action.

Of course it is.

Further how do you define "appropriate information"?

> And I've pointed out a problem you ignore, namely the economic and other problems
> we face which have been mostly ignored. Economic problems kill quite as dead
> as does this virus.

They can and they have, yes.

But we have a LOT more economic and market tools now than in those days.

We can't become Italy circa 1930s.

But which party wants to nationalize industries taking Corona subsidies?

Uh huh.

BT

Mar 19, 2020, 3:21:28 PM3/19/20
a425couple wrote:

> The Governors shutting down schools is very Anti-Progressive!
> Crazy.

Hmmmm. . . . .While it may be anti- capital-P "Progressive", it is
real small-p progress.

B. T.

hal lillywhite

Mar 19, 2020, 6:27:58 PM3/19/20
On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 10:22:56 AM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:

> > Do you really think day care facilities are not preparing for such?

> Do you really think that giving parents a head start there is a bad thing?

A two week head start is plenty. They don't need 7 weeks.

> >> The curve is medically and statistically accepted.
> >
> > And it is also accepted that we can change that curve, that is why we are doing
> > so many things like shutting down non-essential businesses.

> We are, but we have no way to know how much we can impact it. Wat we do
> know is we're a few weeks behind the china curve and the infection rate
> data thus far holds.

And we did not have a Wuhan with crowds celebrating Chinese New Years etc.
Different situation here.

> >> Sounds like it to me.
> >
> > Not to me. Remaining flexible is not victory, it is just being ready to deal
> > with a changing situation.
>
> Flexibility as infection grows is a false comfort.

Huh? Flexibility allows appropriate response. If it stays bad to mid-April,
we keep schools closed till the end of April. If things look much better
by mid-April it could make sense to re-open them.

> > Non-sequiter. How does any of that claim our kids are safe?
>
> They're not!

And I did not say they were.

This is getting both repetitive and horribly long. Let's end it.

Jilad

Mar 19, 2020, 7:03:01 PM3/19/20
hal lillywhite wrote:
> On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 10:22:56 AM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:

>>> Do you really think day care facilities are not preparing for such?

>> Do you really think that giving parents a head start there is a bad thing?
>
> A two week head start is plenty. They don't need 7 weeks.

Planning, it's like booking a long term Mexican vacation rental - you
must be able to insure the full term of several months is blocked out
for you.

Or what, you switch condo properties on the fly, at peak demand time?

I think the analogy applies to day care as well, all the more so with so
many people being sent home from work and perhaps becoming restive with
kids underfoot day in and day out and no relief.

At some point day care centers will be full-on babysitters due to
parental exhaustion alone.

>>> And it is also accepted that we can change that curve, that is why we are doing
>>> so many things like shutting down non-essential businesses.

>> We are, but we have no way to know how much we can impact it. Wat we do
>> know is we're a few weeks behind the china curve and the infection rate
>> data thus far holds.
>
> And we did not have a Wuhan with crowds celebrating Chinese New Years etc.
> Different situation here.

The virus still moves at a 1:2 rate, that's the accepted math on the
infection rate - less contact = less infections, true, but the global
growth graph has been mostly similar.

We just get, one hopes, a lower ceiling level off number.

>>> Not to me. Remaining flexible is not victory, it is just being ready to deal
>>> with a changing situation.
>>
>> Flexibility as infection grows is a false comfort.
>
> Huh? Flexibility allows appropriate response. If it stays bad to mid-April,
> we keep schools closed till the end of April. If things look much better
> by mid-April it could make sense to re-open them.

Do you have small kids where this is a personal problem for you? Because
you sure are adamant about keeping schools open, with nothing even
constituting a reasonable proposed illness outcome scenario yet. Can you
give me a surety number that postponing this has benefits? If so, which
ones?

Remember when I told you about the silent carriers - the number IS
confirmed at 86%.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/86-of-people-with-coronavirus-are-walking-around-undetected-study-says/

Kids are great silent carriers, and pets are even better!

What if we think we have it contained, then find out the silents weren't
factored in or properly tested? I have heard multiple cases in which a
person took the test and then a few days later was ill.

If that happens with kids then school was a bad idea.

>>> Non-sequiter. How does any of that claim our kids are safe?
>>
>> They're not!
>
> And I did not say they were.

Implied to my reading anyway.

> This is getting both repetitive and horribly long. Let's end it.

OK, I'm fine with the schools erring to caution because if they don't
and are proved wrong - very bad things happen. I want safe outcomes for
our kids as well as us, that's all.

But I definitely think you do too, which is why I was surprised at the
push back on the closings.

:-)

hal lillywhite

Mar 19, 2020, 7:26:01 PM3/19/20
On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 4:03:01 PM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:

> Do you have small kids where this is a personal problem for you? Because
> you sure are adamant about keeping schools open,

OK, this is too much. LEARN TO READ!!!!! I never advocated keeping the schools
open. I only advocated not making decisions about 6 weeks from now based on
today's data.

Jilad

Mar 19, 2020, 7:31:52 PM3/19/20
Hey now, no need to be testy!

So you think the data we have is inadequate to make a sound decision?

I disagree.

I find it compelling and sobering. And that goes for whether it's
China's, Italy's, or our own.

Those infection curves rise at the same rate.

Riddle me this then, what might change n 6 weeks to confirm it was
precipitous?

Even if we nail a cure and a vaccine and so on we still have an approval
timeline to deal with and the last I heard the vaccine approval might
not be until December!

So again - silent carriers, what can you do to make them behave for 6 weeks?

hal lillywhite

Mar 19, 2020, 10:43:54 PM3/19/20
On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 4:31:52 PM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:
> hal lillywhite wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 4:03:01 PM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have small kids where this is a personal problem for you? Because
> >> you sure are adamant about keeping schools open,
> >
> > OK, this is too much. LEARN TO READ!!!!! I never advocated keeping the schools
> > open. I only advocated not making decisions about 6 weeks from now based on
> > today's data.
> >
> Hey now, no need to be testy!

Then stop putting words in my mouth.

> So you think the data we have is inadequate to make a sound decision?

I repeat, stop putting words in my mouth. I never said any such thing, in fact
I said quite the opposite. I said that we may get that data within 2-4 weeks.

> I disagree.
>
> I find it compelling and sobering. And that goes for whether it's
> China's, Italy's, or our own.
>
> Those infection curves rise at the same rate.
>
> Riddle me this then, what might change n 6 weeks to confirm it was
> precipitous?

A precipitous decline in infection such as may be happening in Wuhan, if we
believe anything coming out of China. No new cases there for a day or two. Of
course we need more data there, no new cases for a week would be significant.

Baxter

Mar 19, 2020, 11:24:26 PM3/19/20

> On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 8:17:03 AM UTC-7, Baxter wrote:
>
>> You don't understand how delaying kills people?! The situation
>> already demands the schools be shut down. You are calling for the US
>> to ignore the start of the pandemic, while condemning the Chinese for
>> delaying.
>
> Just when did I suggest delay in actual action? I've only urged delay
> in making decisions until appropriate information is available.
> Waiting a couple of weeks to decide how long schools should stay
> closed is not delay of action.

Waiting for a couple weeks to decide to shut down the schools is a killer.
Once they are shut down, however, deciding when to reopen them is an entire
different decision and situation.

hal lillywhite

Mar 20, 2020, 12:53:11 PM3/20/20
So consider two families, call them the Jones and the Smiths living in different
states. In the Jones' state, authorities announce in mid-March that schools will
stay closed till the end of April. In the Smiths' state, they wait till mid
April to make that announcement. In both cases, the schools stay closed till
the end of April. Can you make a case for the Jones children being safer than
the Smith children?
authorities wait till mid April to announce

Jilad

Mar 20, 2020, 1:46:50 PM3/20/20
hal lillywhite wrote:
> On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 4:31:52 PM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:
>> hal lillywhite wrote:

>>> OK, this is too much. LEARN TO READ!!!!! I never advocated keeping the schools
>>> open. I only advocated not making decisions about 6 weeks from now based on
>>> today's data.
>>>
>> Hey now, no need to be testy!
>
> Then stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm not.

>> So you think the data we have is inadequate to make a sound decision?
>
> I repeat, stop putting words in my mouth. I never said any such thing, in fact
> I said quite the opposite. I said that we may get that data within 2-4 weeks.

But we're already having full state quarantines NOW - NY, SC, Pa. and so
on...

>> I disagree.
>>
>> I find it compelling and sobering. And that goes for whether it's
>> China's, Italy's, or our own.
>>
>> Those infection curves rise at the same rate.
>>
>> Riddle me this then, what might change n 6 weeks to confirm it was
>> precipitous?
>
> A precipitous decline in infection such as may be happening in Wuhan, if we
> believe anything coming out of China. No new cases there for a day or two.

But we're weeks behind, if not months given when this started there.

> Of> course we need more data there, no new cases for a week would be significant.

I 100% agree!

But UNOFFICIAL word is that national martial law and quarantine is very
close now, perhaps in a few days.

We need to suck it up and remember that in WW2 our nation lived through
4 YEARS of ration coupons and NO new vehicles.

Perspective matters.

I think we can do a few months if it saves us all.

Jilad

Mar 20, 2020, 1:47:59 PM3/20/20
Odd to see you saying even one word that sounds reasonable...

%-0

Must mean we're truly screwed!

Jilad

Mar 20, 2020, 2:46:48 PM3/20/20
Sure, they have a better shot at getting proper daycare, however it's to
be delivered.

hal lillywhite

Mar 20, 2020, 9:17:39 PM3/20/20
On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 10:46:50 AM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:
> hal lillywhite wrote:

> >> Hey now, no need to be testy!
> >
> > Then stop putting words in my mouth.
>
> I'm not.

What have you been smoking? Right above you wrote, "you sure are adamant about keeping schools open,"

Of course I never advocated keeping schools open. You put words in my mouth.

[much deleted]

Jilad

hal lillywhite

Mar 21, 2020, 3:52:46 PM3/21/20
On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:49:44 AM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:

> > Of course I never advocated keeping schools open. You put words in my mouth.
> >
> > [much deleted]
>
> Convenient erasure.
>
> Uh...you didn't want them closed, so what would the opposite of that be?

Why does it have to be opposite? There are usually more than two choices. My
choice is to keep them closed for now but be open to new information. Should
that new information indicate that the problem has essentially gone away, then
open them.

Maybe you have a hard time dealing with uncertainty.

Jilad

Mar 21, 2020, 4:16:21 PM3/21/20
hal lillywhite wrote:
> On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:49:44 AM UTC-7, Jilad wrote:
>
>>> Of course I never advocated keeping schools open. You put words in my mouth.
>>>
>>> [much deleted]
>>
>> Convenient erasure.
>>
>> Uh...you didn't want them closed, so what would the opposite of that be?
>
> Why does it have to be opposite? There are usually more than two choices. My
> choice is to keep them closed for now but be open to new information.

That's still a binary choice - closed or open.

> Should
> that new information indicate that the problem has essentially gone away, then
> open them.

The odds of that seem small after the comments from New Jersey's health
commissioner:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/im-just-waiting-top-new-jersey-health-official-says-we-all-are-going-to-get-the-coronavirus

> Maybe you have a hard time dealing with uncertainty.

Most humans find it to be tiresome if not troubling.

That said, I think it likely that The "15 day program" is going to last
longer than that.

https://www.justice.gov/doj/page/file/1258516/download

The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America
15 Days to Slow the Spread
1. Listen to and follow the directions of your state and local authorities.
2. If you feel sick, stay home. Do not go to work. Contact your medical
provider.
3. If your children are sick, keep them at home. Do not send them to school.
Contact your medical provider.
4. If someone in your household has tested positive for the coronavirus,
keep
the entire household at home. Do not go to work. Do not go to school.
Contact your medical provider.
5. If you are an older person, stay home and away from other people.
6. If you are a person with a serious underlying health condition that
can put
you at increased risk (for example, a condition that impairs your lung
or heart
function or weakens your immune system), stay home and away from other
people.
7. Even if you are young, or otherwise healthy, you are at risk and your
activities can increase the risk for others. It is critical that you do
your part to
stop the spread of the coronavirus:
 Work or engage in schooling from home whenever possible.
 If you work in a critical infrastructure industry, as defined by the
Department of Homeland Security, such as healthcare services and
pharmaceutical and food supply, you have a special responsibility to
maintain your normal work schedule. You and your employers should
follow CDC guidance to protect your health at work.
 Avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people.
 Avoid eating or drinking in bars, restaurants, and food courts – use
drivethru, pickup, or delivery options.
 Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips, and social visits.
 Do not visit nursing homes or retirement or long-term care facilities
unless
to provide critical assistance.
 Practice good hygiene:
o Wash your hands, especially after touching any frequently used item or
surface.
o Avoid touching your face.
o Sneeze or cough into a tissue, or the inside of your elbow.
o Disinfect frequently used items and surfaces as much as possible.
* School operations can accelerate the spread of the coronavirus.
Governors of
states with evidence of community transmission should close schools in
affected
and surrounding areas. Governors should close schools in communities
that are
near areas of community transmission, even if those areas are in neighboring
states. In addition, state and local officials should close schools
where coronavirus
has been identified in the population associated with the school. States and
localities that close schools need to address childcare needs of
critical responders,
as well as the nutritional needs of children.
** Older people are particularly at risk from the coronavirus. All
states should
follow Federal guidance and halt social visits to nursing homes and
retirement and
long-term care facilities.
*** In states with evidence of community transmission, bars,
restaurants, food
courts, gyms, and other indoor and outdoor venues where groups of people
congregate should be closed.