Query

Supraba murugan

Apr 17, 2015, 12:39:37 PM4/17/15
to opw-k...@googlegroups.com
I was following the steps in http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch to submit my first patch.
When going through the section 'MODIFYING A DRIVER ON NATIVE LINUX',
I used lsmod command and I did not find either e1000 or e1000e drivers.It was asked to identify my wireless driver, but I didn't know how to find it out.So I just chose the bluetooth driver from that list and ran the command git grep bluetooth -- '*Makefile'.
The output of that command is shown below

arch/arm/mach-s3c24xx/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_H1940BT)
drivers/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_BT)               += bluetooth/
drivers/platform/x86/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_TOSHIBA_BT_RFKILL)   += toshi
net/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_BT)           += bluetooth/
net/bluetooth/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_BT) += bluetooth.o
net/bluetooth/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_BT_6LOWPAN) += bluetooth_6lowpan.o
net/bluetooth/Makefile:bluetooth_6lowpan-y := 6lowpan.o
net/bluetooth/Makefile:bluetooth-y := af_bluetooth.o hci_core.o hci_conn
net/bluetooth/Makefile:bluetooth-$(CONFIG_BT_SELFTEST) += selftest.o

I don't know how to find out what C files are compiled into the driver binary using the above information. Please help.

with regards,
supraba

Julia Lawall

Apr 17, 2015, 12:46:49 PM4/17/15
to Supraba murugan, opw-k...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015, Supraba murugan wrote:

> I was following the steps in http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch to
> submit my first patch.When going through the section 'MODIFYING A DRIVER ON
> NATIVE LINUX',
> I used lsmod command and I did not find either e1000 or e1000e drivers.It
> was asked to identify my wireless driver, but I didn't know how to find it
> out.So I just chose the bluetooth driver from that list and ran the command
> git grep bluetooth -- '*Makefile'.
> The output of that command is shown below
>
> arch/arm/mach-s3c24xx/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_H1940BT)
> drivers/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_BT)               += bluetooth/
> drivers/platform/x86/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_TOSHIBA_BT_RFKILL)   += toshi
> net/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_BT)           += bluetooth/
> net/bluetooth/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_BT) += bluetooth.o
> net/bluetooth/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_BT_6LOWPAN) += bluetooth_6lowpan.o
> net/bluetooth/Makefile:bluetooth_6lowpan-y := 6lowpan.o
> net/bluetooth/Makefile:bluetooth-y := af_bluetooth.o hci_core.o hci_conn
> net/bluetooth/Makefile:bluetooth-$(CONFIG_BT_SELFTEST) += selftest.o
>
> I don't know how to find out what C files are compiled into the driver
> binary using the above information. Please help.

I'm sorry but this mailing list is not active anymore, and you should use
the outreachy-kernel one. Also, the application period for this round is
over, and the application period for the next round will start in the
fall.

With respect to your question, if the configuration variable is set, eg
CONFIG_BT_SELFTEST, then the corresponding .o file, eg selftest.o, will be
generated. The .c file that goes with it is normally found by looking at
the directory that contains the makefile and replacing the .o by .c in the
file name.

julia

> with regards,
> supraba

Supraba murugan

Apr 17, 2015, 1:19:00 PM4/17/15
to opw-k...@googlegroups.com
But I'm unable to find the probe function in selftest.c or in any other c file in the net/bluetooth/ directory.