How to bootstrap a node without internet connectivity

Prashant Shete

Mar 9, 2016, 3:55:57 AM3/9/16
to opscode-chef-openstack

Hello,
    I done chef server and workstation installation. Following things are working fine:

1. Chef-server
2. Connectivity between chef server and chef workstation as I am able to upload the cookbook on chef server using knife.
3. Chef management console is working fine.

But when i try to bootstrap a node using knife it tries to connect to internet. Can anyone suggest the alternative approach to bootstrap a node without internet.

Thanks.

Matt Ray

Mar 9, 2016, 9:42:06 AM3/9/16
to Chef-OpenStack
When you bootstrap a node you can use an alternate bootstrap template.
It's not uncommon to take the default template and change the URLs for
where artifacts are hosted. Check out the documentation and this
alternate implementation.
https://docs.chef.io/knife_bootstrap.html#custom-templates
https://github.com/jjasghar/pxe_dust-cookbook/blob/master/templates/default/chef-bootstrap.sh.erb

FYI, this mailing list has been deprecated in favor of the standard
Chef mailing lists here: https://discourse.chef.io/ and the OpenStack

Thanks,
Matt Ray
Director of Partner Integration :: Chef