New cookbooks

Matt Ray

May 19, 2014, 1:39:18 PM5/19/14
to Chef-OpenStack
At the Chef Operators session at last week's OpenStack Summit the
request was made to add 3 new cookbooks (with more later). These
cookbooks are:

* cookbook-openstack-database for supporting the Sahara project. There
was an active discussion and voting around naming the repository, but
since other OpenStack services do not include -service in their name,
"openstack-database" was chosen. We should be able to keep this
straight from the "database" and "openstack-ops-database" cookbooks
with no trouble.
* cookbook-openstack-hadoop the wiki page doesn't call it anything
more than the Hadoop service, so that's what we'll call it unless it
morphs into "big-data" or something later.
* cookbook-openstack-client the need for a cookbook containing
Resources for interacting with OpenStack services (Cinder, Heat,
Swift, etc.) was raised. The suggestion during the session was
"openstack-library", but it seems that "openstack-client" is more
applicable.

Unless there are strong objections, I'll work with openstack-infra to
add these 3 cookbooks before next week.

Thanks,
Matt Ray
Director of Partner Integration :: Chef
512.731.2218 :: ma...@getchef.com
mattray :: GitHub :: IRC :: Twitter

Ionuț Arțăriși

May 20, 2014, 5:41:20 AM5/20/14
to opscode-che...@googlegroups.com
On 05/19/2014 07:39 PM, Matt Ray wrote:
> At the Chef Operators session at last week's OpenStack Summit the
> request was made to add 3 new cookbooks (with more later). These
> cookbooks are:
>
> * cookbook-openstack-database for supporting the Sahara project. There
> was an active discussion and voting around naming the repository, but
> since other OpenStack services do not include -service in their name,
> "openstack-database" was chosen. We should be able to keep this
> straight from the "database" and "openstack-ops-database" cookbooks
> with no trouble.
I suppose this paragraph is about Trove, not Sahara. Unless I'm missing
something.

-Ionuț

Matt Ray

May 20, 2014, 7:07:47 AM5/20/14
to Chef-OpenStack
Yes, keeping these project names straight continues to get harder :)

openstack-database is Trove, openstack-hadoop is Sahara

Thanks,
Matt Ray
Director of Partner Integration :: Chef
512.731.2218 :: ma...@getchef.com
mattray :: GitHub :: IRC :: Twitter

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opscode-chef-openstack/537B2340.6090106%40suse.cz.

Huy Hoang Do

May 20, 2014, 12:07:36 PM5/20/14
to opscode-che...@googlegroups.com
Should we call Sahara cookbook: openstack-hadoop? As I know, Sahara support plugins deploying various big data computing platform (i.e Spark), not only Hadoop.

Matt Ray

May 20, 2014, 12:19:47 PM5/20/14
to Chef-OpenStack
On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Huy Hoang Do <dohuyh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should we call Sahara cookbook: openstack-hadoop? As I know, Sahara support
> plugins deploying various big data computing platform (i.e Spark), not only
> Hadoop.

I'm not tied to the -hadoop name, I'm definitely open to more general,
better suggestions. openstack-data?

Huy Hoang Do

May 20, 2014, 12:36:51 PM5/20/14
to opscode-che...@googlegroups.com