Re: Access denied and Opera cache

John Ralston

Nov 24, 2004, 4:17:24 PM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:08:51 -0500, John Ralston <an...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> I saw references to this problem in several postings in Opera
> newsgroups, but could not find a solution posted. With Opera 7.54
> running on Win95 I get numerous "access denied to file . . . " errors.
> These can be cleared, and the page loaded, if I manually clear the
> cache. I haven't been able to see any change with my firewall
> (ZoneAlarm) on or off. I do not see this problem on another machine
> running Win98.
>
> I'm not completely sure, but I think the access-denied pages are
> server, I can't tell.
>
> Has there been a solution posted or does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> tia.
> John

I might add that I have turned off both memory and disk caching in
Preferences. However, it seems that Opera still is caching or, at least,
keeping temporary storage of some sort on the ram drive I designated for
the cache if one were to be used. With caching off, clicking the empty
button removes files from that drive and clears the access denied error.

John

John Ralston

Nov 24, 2004, 4:08:51 PM11/24/04
I saw references to this problem in several postings in Opera newsgroups,
but could not find a solution posted. With Opera 7.54 running on Win95 I
get numerous "access denied to file . . . " errors. These can be cleared,
and the page loaded, if I manually clear the cache. I haven't been able to
see any change with my firewall (ZoneAlarm) on or off. I do not see this
problem on another machine running Win98.

I'm not completely sure, but I think the access-denied pages are responses
to js, cgi or other scripted functions. Whether local or at server, I

Steven V. Gunhouse

Nov 24, 2004, 10:33:39 PM11/24/04
wrote:

> I saw references to this problem in several postings in Opera

> newsgroups, but could not find a solution posted. With Opera 7.54
> running on Win95 I get numerous "access denied to file . . . " errors.
> These can be cleared, and the page loaded, if I manually clear the
> cache. I haven't been able to see any change with my firewall
> (ZoneAlarm) on or off. I do not see this problem on another machine
> running Win98.
>
> I'm not completely sure, but I think the access-denied pages are
> server, I can't tell.
>
> Has there been a solution posted or does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> tia.
> John

Are there specific pages which cause this problem?

Some cases of "access denied" have been caused by anti-virus software,
presumably you don't really want to access those. Some are probably
because a script in the page erased the file. Others ... who knows.

John Ralston

Nov 25, 2004, 10:20:15 AM11/25/04
The pages are widespread enough that I wouldn't call out a specific
subset. Turning off anti-virus scanning doesn't seem to help.

I'm inclined to think that it is a script issue; and one in which a
script is trying to access a file in the cache or maybe the browser
trying to access a css file in the cache. Emptying the cache forces a
redownload and the page is processed correctly. If this is the case,
what is it that is blocking access to the cached file?

Steven V. Gunhouse

Nov 25, 2004, 7:03:28 PM11/25/04
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:20:15 -0500, John Ralston <an...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

What is blocking access is that Opera doesn't reload pages when you go
Back. If a script can remove a file (which really I'm not certain about,
but it sounds logical to me) then the fact that Opera doesn't reload when
you go back would mean those files still don't exist - but the page may
expect them to exist when you re-execute the script on the page.

I really don't know, as I've never seen such an "Access denied to file"
message - then again I don't show the JS console, and if that's where you
see the message then I simply wouldn't see it.

CGI is server side, it wouldn't make much sense as an Opera problem there.