Deleting last tab

Jim Scott

Sep 17, 2005, 4:41:28 AM9/17/05
Is there a way that I can set Opera to prevent me deleting the last open
tab. I'm used to Firebird which won't let me do this.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK

Jan van Gent

Sep 17, 2005, 5:15:50 AM9/17/05
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:41:28 +0200, Jim Scott <mr.ji...@Xvirgin.net>
wrote:

> Is there a way that I can set Opera to prevent me deleting the last open
> tab. I'm used to Firebird which won't let me do this.

Simply don't do it.

I like software that closes things when I give the proper command.

Probably in Firefox closing the last tab is exiting the program, this
isn't the case in Opera.

Jan

--
Opera 8.02
XP

Jan van Gent

Sep 17, 2005, 5:21:59 AM9/17/05

In addition to this, start using the "close all but active" in my
keyboard-setup ctrl alt w.
When All tabs are closed, pressing F2 will let you type in a new URL.
Actually F2 is my most used key in Opera.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Sep 17, 2005, 2:02:32 PM9/17/05
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:21:59 +0200, Jan van Gent wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:15:50 +0200, Jan van Gent wrote:

>> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:41:28 +0200, Jim Scott wrote:

>>> Is there a way that I can set Opera to prevent me deleting the last
>>> open tab. I'm used to Firebird which won't let me do this.
>>
>> Simply don't do it.

>> I like software that closes things when I give the proper command.
>>
>> Probably in Firefox closing the last tab is exiting the program, this
>> isn't the case in Opera.

Yep. Unless Jan has switched to SDI mode (uncheck 'Open pages in tabs').
But then you can set Opera to ask for confirmation before quitting the
application (Tools > Preferences > Advaned > Notifications).

> In addition to this, start using the "close all but active" in my
> keyboard-setup ctrl alt w.

That's Ctrl+Alt+Shift+w in a default Opera 8. Ctrl+Alt+W will close the
window...

> When All tabs are closed, pressing F2 will let you type in a new URL.
> Actually F2 is my most used key in Opera.

And Opera has a hard-to-miss 'New page' button on the pagebar, so it is
not hard to start browsing from an empty workspace in Opera.

--
Get Opera 8 now! Speed, Security and Simplicity.
http://my.opera.com/Rijk/affiliate/

Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/journal

Brian L Johnson

Sep 17, 2005, 5:31:46 PM9/17/05
Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

> And Opera has a hard-to-miss 'New page' button on the pagebar, so it is
> not hard to start browsing from an empty workspace in Opera.

A useful button for new users. For the more experienced user, all it does
is take up valuable space.

However, I think that even when it's taking up space, it's useful because,
as users get more experienced in the use of pages, they find it irritating
and look for a way to get rid of it. That leads to an inevitable, "Whoa!
Look at all this customizing!" experience. <g>

There's an interesting discussion on Asa Dotzler's blog about 'tab
overflow'. It was actually sparked by an aricle by Scott Berkun -- one of
IE's UI designers -- who has now switched to Firefox.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2005/09/berkun_switches_to_firefox.html

--
-blj-

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Sep 18, 2005, 8:04:14 AM9/18/05

Wow, that is *a* lot of feedback. I've no appetite to read it all :)

It's proven again that everybody is a usability expert!

Brian L Johnson

Sep 18, 2005, 7:09:59 PM9/18/05
Rijk van Geijtenbeek wrote:

>> http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2005/09/berkun_switches_to_firefox.html
>
> Wow, that is *a* lot of feedback. I've no appetite to read it all :)
>
> It's proven again that everybody is a usability expert!

Well, it's Asa's blog and it's about Firefox, but I just felt that
/someone/ ought to point out that the problems which Scott that thought
Firefox had, were already solved in Opera.

And I learned several new things about both browsers. In Opera's case,
good things; in Firefox's, bad.

--
-blj-