Java damaged!

1 view

gray

Jan 8, 2002, 6:21:50 PM1/8/02
When I downloaded & installed OPERA 6 with Java I see a problem in the
c:\windows\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES folder---there are 2- damaged files--
Java Runtime Environment 1.3.1--I have deleted these and re-installed opera
6 . Still shows damaged. Also when I goto the following site
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/minicat_dimen_8200.htm I cannot
continue on to customize a dell computer. The "continue" button does not
bring up the next page. IE5.5 works ok. What's up with Opera 6 and Java?
What is to be done about those damaged files? Thankyou for your help.

Other that this-- This is a sweet browser. Use it most all the time. I
have an ole 75 Pent on a 56 dialup and this is much faster than IE5.5

NormanM

Jan 9, 2002, 5:48:00 AM1/9/02

Not that I know the answer; but I was poking around that file looking
at a completely unrelated problem when I saw those damaged Java files.
Except mine were installed under Opera 5.11.

Norman M.
>>>Clear-cut the Blue Forest to reply by email.<<<

Tim

Jan 9, 2002, 9:52:42 AM1/9/02
On 8 Jan 2002 23:21:50 GMT, gray <gr...@bright.net> wrote:

> When I downloaded & installed OPERA 6 with Java I see a problem
> in the c:\windows\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES folder --- there are

> 2 damaged files -- Java Runtime Environment 1.3.1 -- I have

> deleted these and re-installed opera 6 . Still shows damaged.

Same here, on three different computers. They all show it as
"broken," and always have done, yet they all (apparently) work fine.

There's a FAQ about this somewhere. Maybe even on the Opera site. I
can't recall where I read it.

> Also when I goto the following site
> http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/minicat_dimen_8200.htm I cannot
> continue on to customize a dell computer. The "continue" button does not
> bring up the next page. IE5.5 works ok. What's up with Opera 6 and Java?
> What is to be done about those damaged files?

That's often because the site's Java isn't properly coded Java; but
instead, is using bastardised coding to suit Microsoft's perversion of
Java.

Opera uses the Sun Java engine (the people who created Java). You
could try downloading the latest version of the Java runtime engine
(JRE), from them.

gray

Jan 9, 2002, 4:38:50 PM1/9/02
gray <gr...@bright.net> wrote in news:Xns9190BB4...@213.141.139.66:

> When I downloaded & installed OPERA 6 with Java I see a problem in the
> c:\windows\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES folder---there are 2- damaged
> files-- Java Runtime Environment 1.3.1--I have deleted these and

> re-installed opera 6 . Still shows damaged. What is to be done about

those damaged files? Thankyou for
> your help.
>
> Other that this-- This is a sweet browser. Use it most all the time.
> I have an ole 75 Pent on a 56 dialup and this is much faster than IE5.5

Thanks to both Norman & Tim. Guess I'll keep using Opera 6 most of the
time. When I redownloaded Opera 6 it brought and installed those damage
files again to c:\windows\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES. Opera 6 definitely
put them there. Oh well. It's still the fastest. Just got overlook the
java stuff. 8:)

Some people call me... Tim

Jan 9, 2002, 5:01:57 PM1/9/02

To be honest, I don't think you should worry about the "damaged"
status of those files. I'm just searched Google Groups and find
plenty of mentions of the problem (though no one seems to say the
actually are having difficulty that can be attributed to the "damaged"
status of the files), but no real solution.
Your original problem, the continue button at the Dell page, uses
Javascript, not Java. They are completely different animals. I don't
know why this page fails to work with Opera, but I'm sure it doesn't
have anything to do with those "damaged" files.

--
Tim Altman

roy...@myrealSP-AMbox.com
No SP-AM is good spam.

Tim

Jan 10, 2002, 8:35:29 AM1/10/02

On 9 Jan 2002 21:38:50 GMT, gray <gr...@bright.net> wrote:

> Thanks to both Norman & Tim. Guess I'll keep using Opera 6 most of the
> time. When I redownloaded Opera 6 it brought and installed those damage
> files again to c:\windows\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES. Opera 6 definitely
> put them there. Oh well. It's still the fastest. Just got overlook the
> java stuff. 8:)

You'll get different Java issues on different browsers, too. It's not
just Opera.

Yes, if you installed Opera, using the Opera install file that
includes Java, then Opera installed /your/ Java engine. You can get
an Opera install file that doesn't include the Java engine (for people
who don't want it, or don't need it - like those who already have a
Java installation, hate Java, or it's too much of a burden for their
computer).

The Java engine that Opera installs, is the engine that Sun makes (the
official Java engine). (If that helps explain things.)

Tim

Jan 10, 2002, 8:38:37 AM1/10/02
On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:01:57 -0500,
Some people call me... Tim <add...@in.sig> wrote:

> To be honest, I don't think you should worry about the "damaged"
> status of those files. I'm just searched Google Groups and find
> plenty of mentions of the problem (though no one seems to say the
> actually are having difficulty that can be attributed to the
> "damaged" status of the files), but no real solution.

I wonder if the problem is that the "display" in Windows Explorer is
faulty (incorrectly saying there's an error), rather than there
actually being a fault with the Java installation?

That's the sort of crap that Microsoft is famous for (getting it
wrong, and/or being deliberately disceptive).

By the way, none of the computers, here, have an option that the Java
control panel is supposed to have: A tab-section with a list of
browsers in it.

Some people call me... Tim

Jan 10, 2002, 7:13:19 PM1/10/02
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:08:37 +1030, Tim <T...@localhost.invalid> wrote:

[RE: damaged Java files]

>I wonder if the problem is that the "display" in Windows Explorer is
>faulty (incorrectly saying there's an error), rather than there
>actually being a fault with the Java installation?
>
>That's the sort of crap that Microsoft is famous for (getting it
>wrong, and/or being deliberately disceptive).

I think you're exactly right. That's the same conclusion I came
to.

>By the way, none of the computers, here, have an option that the Java
>control panel is supposed to have: A tab-section with a list of
>browsers in it.

Mine doesn't have that either.

Haavard K. Moen

Jan 11, 2002, 7:07:13 AM1/11/02
On 8 Jan 2002 23:21:50 GMT, gray <gr...@bright.net> wrote:

> When I downloaded & installed OPERA 6 with Java I see a problem in the
> c:\windows\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES folder---there are 2- damaged files--
> Java Runtime Environment 1.3.1--I have deleted these and re-installed opera
> 6 . Still shows damaged.

You can safely ignore it:

www.opera.com/support/supsearch/supsearch.cgi?options=index&name=596

This "feature" in Windows is more confusing than helpful, really.

Some people call me... Tim

Jan 13, 2002, 9:43:02 PM1/13/02

Is there any more information you could provide about its cause,
Haavard? It's nice to know I can ignore it, but that doesn't change
the fact that I'd like to know what it is.

Haavard K. Moen

Jan 14, 2002, 3:11:11 AM1/14/02
On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:43:02 -0500, Some people call me... Tim
<add...@in.sig> wrote:

> >You can safely ignore it:
> >
> >www.opera.com/support/supsearch/supsearch.cgi?options=index&name=596
> >
> >This "feature" in Windows is more confusing than helpful, really.
>
> Is there any more information you could provide about its cause,
> Haavard? It's nice to know I can ignore it, but that doesn't change
> the fact that I'd like to know what it is.

Yes, I can understand this. Please try a search for "damaged" on this
page:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/install-windows.html

It explains that it is just a cosmetical issue. I will also update the
article above with this information, since explaining what is going on
is often as important as explaining what to do.

Some people call me... Tim

Jan 15, 2002, 4:01:42 PM1/15/02

Thanks. That all makes a lot more sense now. :)