After Upgrade Lost Opera Icon in Windows Explorer

Paul Bartlett

Jul 5, 2010, 5:21:24 PM7/5/10
If I am not in the correct ng, please direct me accordingly. I looked
at all the posts left on my newsserver but did not see anything that
looked likely, and a search in the Opera online help system turned up
nothing.

Win XP Pro SP3 / Opera 10.60.3445. Opera is my default browser.

Before I installed the new (10.60) version of Opera, when I opened
Windows Explorer, then if a file was .htm, .html, or .mht, the little
red Opera icon showed to the left of the filename. Once I installed
10.60 (just a few days ago) I lost the little Opera icon in Win
Explorer for those filetypes, although doubleclicking on one of the
files still brings it up in Opera. I looked in the registry but did
not see anything obviously out of place, although the registry is so
big, and I am not an internals guru, that I may have missed something.

Is there a convenient way to get the Opera icon back in Win Explorer?
Thanks.

--
Paul Bartlett

Adrienne Boswell

Jul 5, 2010, 6:25:41 PM7/5/10
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Paul Bartlett
<bart...@panix.com> writing in news:alpine.NEB.2.00.1007051711470.13898
@panix2.panix.com:

This also depends on what other programs you might have that access html
documents. An HTML editor, for example, may change the default
browser's icon to its own.

In Windows Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types. Then
look for HTML, and click on the Advanced button. That will show you
what programs have access to your HTML files.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

ge...@none.net

Jul 5, 2010, 6:33:04 PM7/5/10

I've got a couple of .mht icons on my desktop that also lost their icon
identification too, though they open to the correct place. A
thought is that it is the result of installing 10.60 final (XP home).

Gene

ge...@none.net

Jul 5, 2010, 6:35:12 PM7/5/10

I meant doing a clean install of 10.60 final in a new folder. Don't
know why XP's file designations would change otherwise.

Gene

Paul Bartlett

Jul 5, 2010, 8:52:00 PM7/5/10
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Paul Bartlett
> <bart...@panix.com> writing in news:alpine.NEB.2.00.1007051711470.13898
> @panix2.panix.com:
>

>> [trim]

>> Before I installed the new (10.60) version of Opera, when I opened
>> Windows Explorer, then if a file was .htm, .html, or .mht, the little
>> red Opera icon showed to the left of the filename. Once I installed
>> 10.60 (just a few days ago) I lost the little Opera icon in Win
>> Explorer for those filetypes, although doubleclicking on one of the

>> files still brings it up in Opera. [trim]

> This also depends on what other programs you might have that access html
> documents. An HTML editor, for example, may change the default
> browser's icon to its own.
>
> In Windows Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types. Then
> look for HTML, and click on the Advanced button. That will show you
> what programs have access to your HTML files.

When I do that, the only accessing programs are 'Edit', 'Print', and
'Open'. The icon is a generic Windows icon, not that of a particular
application (such as Opera). In Tools->Folder_Options->File_Types, in
the window showing the various extensions (for the four types of files)
has the red Opera icon next to the extension, and Opera does pick up
the file. It just doesn't show in Windows Explorer, and I have
installed no programs that access web-type files since I updated Opera.
It seems to be the Opera upgrade that wiped out the icons.

--
Paul Bartlett

Laurent Jumet

Jul 6, 2010, 2:56:13 AM7/6/10

Hello Paul !

Paul Bartlett <bart...@panix.com> wrote:

Go to FilesTypes in the config of XP and confirm both the "Open with" and the "Icon".

--
Laurent Jumet - Point de Chat, Liège, BELGIUM
KeyID: 0xCFAF704C

ge...@none.net

Jul 6, 2010, 6:55:57 PM7/6/10
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 22:25:41 +0000 (UTC)
Adrienne Boswell <arb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Is there a convenient way to get the Opera icon back in Win
> > Explorer? Thanks.
> >

> This also depends on what other programs you might have that access
> html documents. An HTML editor, for example, may change the default
> browser's icon to its own.
>
> In Windows Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types.
> Then look for HTML, and click on the Advanced button. That will show
> you what programs have access to your HTML files.

In my version of Win Explorer (XP/SP3 home), there is no File Types tab.

Gene

Paul Bartlett

Jul 6, 2010, 7:36:45 PM7/6/10
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Laurent Jumet wrote:

>> [trim]

>> Win XP Pro SP3 / Opera 10.60.3445. Opera is my default browser.
>> Before I installed the new (10.60) version of Opera, when I opened
>> Windows Explorer, then if a file was .htm, .html, or .mht, the little
>> red Opera icon showed to the left of the filename. Once I installed
>> 10.60 (just a few days ago) I lost the little Opera icon in Win
>> Explorer for those filetypes, although doubleclicking on one of the

>> files still brings it up in Opera. [trim]

> Go to FilesTypes in the config of XP and confirm both the "Open with" and the "Icon".

I have done that. It accomplishes nothing. The icon in Explorer
remains the default icon.

--
Paul Bartlett

Ed Jay

Jul 6, 2010, 8:15:52 PM7/6/10
Paul Bartlett wrote:

Ditto.

--
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to reply by email)

Win the War Against Breast Cancer.
Knowing the facts could save your life.
http://www.breastthermography.info

Paul Bartlett

Jul 6, 2010, 9:43:08 PM7/6/10
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Ed Jay wrote:

> Paul Bartlett wrote:

>>> Go to FilesTypes in the config of XP and confirm both the "Open with" and the "Icon".
>>
>> I have done that. It accomplishes nothing. The icon in Explorer
>> remains the default icon.
>
> Ditto.

I did try something and got one interesting result. I went in and made
Internet Explorer my default browser. Now all the .htm(l) and .mht(ml)
files in Windows Explorer show the little blue IE icon, although the
Type column still shows them as 'Opera Web Document'. When I changed
back to Opera as default browser (which is what I want), the little
icons still are the IE icon, even though Opera opens the files. Go
figure.

--
Paul Bartlett

Ed Jay

Jul 6, 2010, 10:02:30 PM7/6/10
Paul Bartlett wrote:

All my htm* files show up in Explorer as the Opera logo. My issue pertains
to desktop shortcuts dragged from Opera's address field. I can, of course,
change them individually, but not in WinXP generally.

Oh, well...

Paul Bartlett

Jul 7, 2010, 7:23:25 PM7/7/10
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Ed Jay wrote:

> Paul Bartlett wrote:
>
>> [much old stuff trimmed]

>> I did try something and got one interesting result. I went in and made
>> Internet Explorer my default browser. Now all the .htm(l) and .mht(ml)
>> files in Windows Explorer show the little blue IE icon, although the
>> Type column still shows them as 'Opera Web Document'. When I changed
>> back to Opera as default browser (which is what I want), the little
>> icons still are the IE icon, even though Opera opens the files. Go
>> figure.
>
> All my htm* files show up in Explorer as the Opera logo. My issue pertains
> to desktop shortcuts dragged from Opera's address field. I can, of course,
> change them individually, but not in WinXP generally.

Showing up in Windows Explorer with the Opera icon is what I am trying
to accomplish. However, since I made my last post above, the icon has
reverted to the generic icon after I turned off the computer last night
and turned it back on this afternoon.

--
Paul Bartlett

charles

Jul 8, 2010, 10:14:08 PM7/8/10
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:23:25 -0400, Paul Bartlett <bart...@panix.com>
wrote:

I also have had lots of problems setting Opera as default handler for
html files on Windows XP. I've solved the icon problem but I still get
an error when doubleclicking an html file in Explorer. The error I get
is a popup box saying:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\fullpath\filename.html'. Make sure you typed
the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the
Start button, and then click Search."

When I click OK, the file opens up in Opera. ????

The following combination of registry exports solved the problem of the
icon in Explorer. Watch for line wrap.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html]
@="Opera.HTML"
"Content Type"="text/html"
"PerceivedType"="text"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Opera.HTML\ShellEx\IconHandler]
@="{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}\Old
Icon\Opera.HTML\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Opera105\\opera.exe,1"

foxidrive

Jul 8, 2010, 11:15:31 PM7/8/10
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 02:14:08 +0000, charles <som...@somewhere.invalid>
wrote:

>I also have had lots of problems setting Opera as default handler for
>html files on Windows XP. I've solved the icon problem but I still get
>an error when doubleclicking an html file in Explorer.

A technique to set that is to right click a html file (and a htm file)
and select "Open With" and then browse to Opera. Make sure you select
the "always open with" checkbox.

The steps are dependant on your windows version I think.

--
Regards,
Mic

charles

Jul 9, 2010, 2:31:21 PM7/9/10
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:15:31 +1000, foxidrive <got...@woohoo.invalid>
wrote:

Thanks and that technique solved the problem when Opera is running but
the issue was/is when Opera is not running. I get the file not found
message but Opera will load the file twice, in two tabs, when I
acknowledge the message and click OK.

It's got to be something in the way this machine has DDE options
configured. Still playing with it.

Paul Bartlett

Jul 9, 2010, 5:38:03 PM7/9/10

Thanks for the response. I tried that in Win XP Pro SP3, but it made
no difference. All the .htm(l) and .mht(ml) files already open with
Opera, as desired, but the Opera icon is still not showing in Windows
Explorer. I am presuming that it is a Windows issue, not really an
Opera matter, but I though somoeone here might have encountered it.

--
Paul Bartlett

Paul Bartlett

Jul 9, 2010, 5:41:59 PM7/9/10
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, charles wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:23:25 -0400, Paul Bartlett <bart...@panix.com>
> wrote:

>> Showing up in Windows Explorer with the Opera icon is what I am trying

>> to accomplish. However, since I made my last post above, the icon has
>> reverted to the generic icon after I turned off the computer last night
>> and turned it back on this afternoon.
>
> I also have had lots of problems setting Opera as default handler for
> html files on Windows XP. I've solved the icon problem but I still get
> an error when doubleclicking an html file in Explorer. The error I get
> is a popup box saying:
>
> "Windows cannot find 'C:\fullpath\filename.html'. Make sure you typed
> the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the
> Start button, and then click Search."
>
> When I click OK, the file opens up in Opera. ????

We seem to be having just opposite problems. Opera opens files for me
without problem, but I do not have the icons.

> The following combination of registry exports solved the problem of the
> icon in Explorer. Watch for line wrap.
>

> [trimi]

Thanks for the information. Other than just looking, I tend not to
mess with the registry, but I do know how to back it up before doing
anything. I will take a look.

--
Paul Bartlett