Trouble logging OBD2 data

pmathe...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 12:25:48 AM12/5/16
to OpenXC
Hello,

I having difficulty connecting to my vehicle and logging OBD2 data. The details are below:

Vehicle: Ford Territory SZ MkII (2016 model)

Android device: Samsung Galaxy GT-19300
Android version: 4.3

OpenXC enabler version: 6.1.6
Firmware version:  vi-emulator-firmware-FORDBOARD-ctv7.2.0.bin
                            vi-obd2-firmware-FORDBOARD-ctv7.2.0.bin

OpenXC device ID: 0006666D5630

Issue:
I can successfully establish a bluetooth connection between the phone and VI device when running in 'emulator' mode. The OpenXC Enabler app displays the dummy CAN data without any problems.
When I flash the obd2 firmware and connect to the vehicle I get 2 blue lights on the front of the VI but I get no CAN data whatsoever (vehicle is keyed 'on' and engine running).

I have rolled back the firmware version to 6.0.3, and the Enabler App to 6.0.6 and tried various combinations. The best I can get is vehicle and engine speed messages but the message data is totally incorrect and doesn't update quickly.

Many thanks,
Paul.

Eric Marsman

Dec 5, 2016, 10:33:20 AM12/5/16
to OpenXC
Hi Paul,

The obd2 firmware simply allows obd2 access. You can send your own requests. Try the translated_obd2 firmware which does automatic recurring requests. This sounds like what you're looking for.

Regards,
Eric

pmathe...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 5:45:59 PM12/5/16
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for the fast reply - the translated_obd2 was indeed what I was after.

It successfully reads engine speed, vehicle speed, coolant temp and % engine load.

Cheers,
Paul.

John Schmotzer

Dec 22, 2016, 3:42:49 PM12/22/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com
What about leveraging the Python diagnostic commands?

These appear to respond with the equivalent of a one off OpenXC dump. I'll send associated logs