RAW CAN - iso15765-can11/500 ?

Joseph Niemiec

Nov 15, 2016, 8:50:53 AM11/15/16
to OpenXC

I have a OpenXC Ford VI Ref Type that I bought on my own. I sadly don’t have a Ford vehicle today so I am trying to make this work off my Dodge Avenger 2010 RT, When I use my ELM327 for generic ODB2 data I detect that its iso15765-can11/500.. I assume that means 500 kbaud.  I have tested my device using the precompiled FORDBOARD ODB2 Firmware image and am able to get the OpenXC enabler app to provide data in real time.

I would love to just collect as many RAW CAN messages as possible and I will reverse engineer them myself. I setup my linux environment and setup Vagrant as per the instructions, used the python tools to generate a new singals.cpp file inside the vi-frimeware/src folder based on the examples/passthrough.json, everything built fine and I copyed it onto my VI using the same method that I put the ODB2 firmware on with. Now when I plug in my device both the RED and BLUE lights stay on until they completely turn off.. This is not like the ODB2 firmware behavior which only lights up the Blue light and then connects to my phone quickly.

Any ideas? Perhaps I need to take the can-2 out of the passthrough.json example?

Eric Marsman

Nov 15, 2016, 2:41:17 PM11/15/16
to OpenXC
Hello Joseph,

If you want to make sure you're building correctly, you can run

% fab reference obd2 build

without a signals.cpp. This will regenerate your own version of the OBD2 firmware we provide. Then you can confirm it works the same as ours.

What command are you using to compile the firmware with the pass through example? If you're doing just CAN, you'll want to do

% fab reference build

with the signals.cpp in place.

What speed are you setting for bus2? Not sure what the Dodge has on the 2nd bus. But yes, using only 1 bus is probably a good start. Here is more info on the passthrough example. Feel free to share your .json or signals.cpp so we have all the info.

Regards,
Eric

Joseph Niemiec

Nov 15, 2016, 7:04:19 PM11/15/16
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,

So I recompiled in Vagrant using the fab reference odb2 build and am able to have the device connect to my vehicle and return engine rpm, and vehicle speed (abit wrong values but thats fine) and is showing only the blue led. I went ahead and created a new passthrough2.json that was only the hs can using the fab reference build command. When plugged in immediately both red and blue lights are illuminated and remain on the entire time, the openex enabler app connects and does detect that the firmware name is 'passthrough'  after about 30 seconds it seems to shutoff.
passthrough2.json
signals.cpp

John Schmotzer

Nov 15, 2016, 7:36:23 PM11/15/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Welcome to the dark side

John Schmotzer

Nov 15, 2016, 8:31:43 PM11/15/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com

Let's talk tomorrow, I have this working...

Joseph Niemiec

Nov 16, 2016, 9:55:34 AM11/16/16
to OpenXC
Hey John,

Good talking with you. We reflashed again using your image and still had no luck. Ill do some investigation on if the Dodge blocks CAN data over the easily accessible ODB2 port or not.

Joseph Niemiec

Nov 16, 2016, 9:56:01 AM11/16/16
to OpenXC
Oh man who let Palpatine in here.

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 7:36:23 PM UTC-5, John Schmotzer wrote:

Welcome to the dark side