Can not connect to Ford Reference VI with non-Ford cars

Jan Kučera

Jan 18, 2016, 5:38:25 AM1/18/16
to OpenXC
Hi there,

I ordered the Ford reference VI from the shop in November last year, got it delivered. I flashed a Type 6 FW (vi-firmware-type6-FORDBOARD-ctv6.0.3-csv6.0-1-gb3f9b6b.bin) and since then I was not succesfull in connecting to it from the an Android phone. Both my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500) with Android 4.0.4 and Samsung S3 mini (GT-I8190) with CyanogenMod 11 (KitKat) are not even able to pair Bluetooth within OS. A Galaxy J5 (Android 5.1.1) was able to pair to it but when I tried in 2006 Volvo XC90 I still could not connect from the phone to VI via BT. I tried USB and it seemed to work better while the VI seemed to be recognized by OS while asking to launch the Enabler app. However, n the Android app I can not see any "VI Version" or "VI Device ID". I am a bit frustrated because I though it largely will be a "plug&play" experience... I am able to get both green and red LEDs on on the VI but thats all. I have no idea whether a real Ford Focus/C-Max is needed for connection with the FW type 6...

One more thing - after flashing the FW and before connecting to Volvo I tried an old 1997 Skoda Octavia (1U2 platform) only to have the VI powered by cars 12V to see whether I could connect via BT to it - but the red LED did not even light up and the device was dead... the Octavia has no can bus but only a K-line (OBD2 connector has only 4 pins connected - 12V /pin 16/, 2x ground /pins 4-5/ and K-line /pin 7/) I have no idea whether the old Skoda could have done some harm to the device... I hope not. But i was surprised the device did not even get powered by 12V (power is present in the connector - tested).

Would appreciate any help!

Regards,
Jan

Jan Kučera

Jan 19, 2016, 11:43:04 AM1/19/16
to OpenXC
Today I successfully connected to a 2010 Focus (Mk2) with the same setup... so seems like the FWs need that specific vehicle to work at all.

Jan

Eric Marsman

Jan 26, 2016, 3:29:00 PM1/26/16
to OpenXC
Hi Jan,

You are correct, FW is vehicle specific. See this page for details about which FW to use for which vehicles.

Regards,
Eric

Jan Kučera

Feb 7, 2016, 8:47:09 AM2/7/16
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,

yes I knew FW is vehicle specific... I just thought it keeps some basic functionality even on different auto brands/models... this does not really mind though...

Jan
Message has been deleted