Is the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid firmware available?

Ewen Chan

Jul 30, 2013, 9:13:58 AM7/30/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Is the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid firmware available?

I'm specifically interested in looking at the brake pressure and also the regen capability/capacity of the regen motor.

The current braking coach can only tell you how much energy you were able to capture through regenerative braking, but it doesn't tell you whether you're actually maximizing your regenerative braking potential AS you're braking.

So I'll probably need access to the details about the regen motor (and maybe even the traction motor) as well as the wheel speed at all 4 wheels and the longitudinal accelerometer or the brake pedal travel or the master cylinder pressure, or piston pressure (if available).

I'm not sure what sensor data is available (out of the whole vehicle) but that would be my "wish list" in order to be able to calculate/determine whether I'm on the pads or not.

(I might need more later, but those are the ones that I can think of immediately off the top of my head without having done the initial analysis of what kind of data that I would need out of the sensors to make a Braking Coach v2.0).

Thanks.

TJ Giuli

Jul 30, 2013, 7:13:32 PM7/30/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Ewen, we do support the 2013 Fusion Hybrid, but without any hybrid-powertrain specific signals (yet).  It's always really helpful for us to hear what additional information people would like, as we can then get to work on addition those signals to future releases.  Thanks!
--T

Ewen Chan

Jul 30, 2013, 8:03:13 PM7/30/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I would love to be able to get access to the Fusion HEV signals.

I'd also be very curious about the number of charge/discharge cycles that the battery in my Fusion Hybrid has gone through (as well as various states of charge) because I am somewhat concerned with the rather recent announcement that Raj Nair made about the firmware update to the powertrain control module that would up the maximum speed that the electric motor can go from 62 mph to 85 mph and what that will do to the durability of my battery.

And while I'm sure that everything is tested to the standards to sure that it'll be fine, I'm planning on keeping my Fusion HEV longer than 125k miles, so tools and Fusion hybrid-specific signals will be able to help me determine what kind of impact the firmware update will have.

Thanks.

Rick Floyd

Aug 18, 2013, 4:07:48 AM8/18/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I was just looking at the signal support for the C-MAX Energi and noticed the lack of anything from the EV system. Ewen's more detailed brake coach is one area that's of interest to me. I'd also like to get a better feeling for how we're using the battery in the car. I'm imagining an app that will tell me how much energy I use over a given route, where it's coming from (battery or gas), and how it compares to other routes I've taken between two endpoints. So battery charge status, battery draw, instantaneous energy use and so on would all be useful additions (I think). It would be nice to tie that into a route profile, too (presumably generated by the device collecting data).

Christopher Peplin

Aug 19, 2013, 12:12:59 PM8/19/13
to openxc@googlegroups com
Hey Rick, I agree - EV is the most interesting area that I want to expand into right now. I can say we're actively working on that but I won't go so far as to give an ETA. There's actually an EV data oriented hackathon coming up in September at one of the TechShop locations in California. TJ, Sudipto, you guys have the details on that or a link?

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:07 AM, Rick Floyd <grnc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was just looking at the signal support for the C-MAX Energi and noticed the lack of anything from the EV system. Ewen's more detailed brake coach is one area that's of interest to me. I'd also like to get a better feeling for how we're using the battery in the car. I'm imagining an app that will tell me how much energy I use over a given route, where it's coming from (battery or gas), and how it compares to other routes I've taken between two endpoints. So battery charge status, battery draw, instantaneous energy use and so on would all be useful additions (I think). It would be nice to tie that into a route profile, too (presumably generated by the device collecting data).

Bob P

Aug 26, 2013, 8:52:51 PM8/26/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on going, the workshop was amazing, anyone within range of this should attend it is going to be awesome.

I believe there are going to be a few cars on site as well!

--Bob

Bob P

Aug 26, 2013, 9:19:09 PM8/26/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Also - it's going to be at the Menlo Park Tech Shop, not the San Jose.

--Bob

TJ Giuli

Aug 27, 2013, 1:59:41 AM8/27/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Yup, we're going to have three plug-in hybrid vehicles at the event, a mix of C-Max and Fusion Energi(s).  These vehicles are special, in that their powertrains and several other subsystems have been modified to allow limited software control over certain aspects of the cars, such as the ability to switch the powertrain to fully electric mode (or back to gasoline hybrid mode).  It should definitely be awesome.
--TJ

Bob P

Aug 30, 2013, 2:12:11 AM8/30/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to have a C-Max and possibly a Fusion Hybrid there - still have to re-wire my ChipKit, probably will have some time this weekend. I can't wait to see the Developer Proto cars!

--Bob

Joshua Sussman

Dec 9, 2014, 7:55:55 PM12/9/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Is there any updated info available on when we might be able to get some basic info from Ford Electrics, Energis, and Hybrids?

Rick Floyd

Apr 21, 2016, 1:18:14 AM4/21/16
to OpenXC
It's been a while (two and half years) since this EV data oriented hackathon. Did any of this EV-specific information ever make it into OpenXC? I'm not seeing it the message lists. Is it still something that's being considered?

Travis Gintz

Apr 21, 2016, 10:14:41 AM4/21/16
to OpenXC
You might look into MyCarma EV if you have a C5 from Crosschasm. They may flash it for you, and it has information for many EV's.