Cannot connect non-Ford vehicles via The VI

Gökalp Başol

Oct 19, 2017, 11:38:43 AM10/19/17
to OpenXC
Hello,

I got my Ford reference VI device today and I tried to connect it with Volkswagen Passat 2012 but no lights up or any Bluetooth device show up on my android phone (HTC U11 Android 7.1.1).

My car supports CAN it seems, not sure

Is this device only compatible with Ford and US cars (since 2008)? and if there is way what is that? I didn't understand those firmware things.

Thanks.

sgo...@cse.yeditepe.edu.tr

Oct 19, 2017, 12:46:51 PM10/19/17
to OpenXC
You need to make sure that it is plugged in well. Blue light turns on if you plugged it well.

Eric Marsman

Oct 24, 2017, 12:01:46 PM10/24/17
to OpenXC
Hi,

What firmware did you program onto the device? We do not have any that will decode CAN from VAG. You will have to provide your own firmware for that. You should be able to use the "translated_obd2" firmware for your vehicle.

Regards,
Eric

Gökalp Başol

Oct 28, 2017, 11:03:05 AM10/28/17
to OpenXC
I will try it on a Ford car but for other cases, "translated_obd2" firmware is for non-Ford vehicles?

And What are those ctv and csv?

In the "type x" firmware ctv and csv both have a different version.

Eric Marsman

Oct 30, 2017, 1:02:49 PM10/30/17
to OpenXC
yes, translated_obd2 should work on any OEM vehicle that supports standard diagnostics as mandated by the US.

Good question. ctv is "can translator version" and "csv" is can signals version. 'can translator' was the old name for the VI so it's the vi-firmware version. The 'can signals' is our internal proprietary repository of all of the CAN decoding so that is the latest v 7.0. I will add this to the README there.

Regards,
Eric