Streaming and CAN

Cayce Williams

Feb 7, 2015, 1:33:22 AM2/7/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello OpenXC forum.

I was wondering if someone could tell me If I found a bug in the firmware.
I wrote a standalone application for OpenXC on the computer.
When I do this:

connect()
startStream
()

Everything works as intended.
However if I perform this operation:

connect()
wait
(500)
startStream
()

The OpenXC sends a few messages and then stops.
If I attempt to disconnect from the device it remains in a connected state and I have to reset it manually.
I am using Java & Bluecove for Bluetooth. I use some of the same boilerplate from android for translating the stream into JSON.

Has anyone come across this or might know what the issue is?

---
Second:

As the OpenXC advertises it is available for any car past 1996.
However I believe that is only if you know the CAN BUS information.
Such as
HS/LS
Message IDs
Bit position
etc...

Is there any standard way to obtain this information besides using a can bus listener and filtering out repeated IDS in a spread sheet?
Or do we just have to be lucky enough to wait for the automotive company's to release this information?

How is it that a company like CalAMP has a swiss army knife of OBD's and can work in any car with one firmware provided?

Thanks in advance

Cayce Williams

Feb 15, 2015, 2:44:51 AM2/15/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Is there anyone who can throw me a bone on this one?