OpenXC + Pi ?

TJ Marbois

Aug 8, 2016, 2:41:57 AM8/8/16
to OpenXC
Hi

Anyone here tried getting OpenXC kit working with a RaspberryPi ? I was considering building a kit to capture / graph data on a Pi.
Wanted to see if anyone else was doing so as well.

cheers

Tj

Zac

Aug 9, 2016, 12:17:48 PM8/9/16
to OpenXC
Hi TJ,

I haven't done it myself, but you should be able to run the openxc-python command line tools to grab data over USB on a Pi.

- Zac

TJ Marbois

Aug 9, 2016, 12:22:47 PM8/9/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Zac

yea thanks - Im going to try this in a bit and see what I can discover.

cheers

Tj

Jack Van Hoecke

Aug 9, 2016, 1:24:00 PM8/9/16
to OpenXC
I'm in the process of doing this as well TJ. I'll let you know if I get it working and you have questions! xD

TJ Marbois

Aug 9, 2016, 1:26:36 PM8/9/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jack!

Good luck on that - it seems like it should be easy enough… but you never know!  Look forwards to hearing your progress.

cheers

Tj

Gregg Howard

Aug 10, 2016, 11:03:19 AM8/10/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tj,

I have started but not tried hard enough yet.  I am using a Model B, which is a bit limited.

I have thought of getting the 3, and then using Android.

gregg

Jack Van Hoecke

TJ Marbois

Aug 15, 2016, 8:31:24 AM8/15/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com
hey thanks!

Ill eventually get around to testing this… hopefully by then more of it will be solved.  Im awaiting the IOS Sdk as well.

Good luck with your investigations!

cheers

TJ

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "OpenXC" group.

Kyle Kelly

Aug 15, 2016, 10:37:29 AM8/15/16
to OpenXC
I see this error frequently as well. When I work from the command line I append "--format json" to every command and this always works as a fix. Would be nice to track down this bug though.

Jack Van Hoecke

Aug 15, 2016, 1:21:56 PM8/15/16
to OpenXC
I do the same haha. The issue is, in Python you can't just append --format json anywhere. I'm new to Python though so it could very well be something else I'm doing. I haven't done enough testing/fiddling to come to anything conclusive hahah.

Jack Van Hoecke

Aug 23, 2016, 3:25:37 PM8/23/16
to OpenXC
Hey,

I was able to read and write on the Pi and I thought I might include you guys if you're still interested in it.

Attached is a firmware for an OpenXC Ford VI that is raw unfiltered data at one second (unless changed, then immediate), and writable to both buses which are at 500kHz and 125kHz respectively.

The attached python file runs on the Pi but should run on any environment with 2.7.X. It connects over Bluetooth to the device. I made two global lists, one is an up to date CAN messages list, the other is for all the other callbacks.

To write raw data, simply type the following in the python terminal after running the module: vi.write_raw("message ID in hex","payload in hex"). An example would be: vi.write_raw("0x3da","0x1234567812345678").

I don't think I had issues after a certain point but something worth mentioning is that you can input the "payload_format" when creating the vi object (as seen in the code).

I am also not a Python programmer, so it's not gorgeous but hopefully it gets you jump started :)
vi-firmware-FORDBOARD.bin
OpenXC_bluetooth_development.py

Thomas Marbois

Aug 23, 2016, 4:00:32 PM8/23/16
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Very cool of you ! Thanks a ton... will look at this when I start