OpenXC c5 ble is not working on firmware v7.2.0 using openxc-dump --bluetooth command

THINH PHAM LE

Jul 11, 2017, 9:24:30 PM7/11/17
to OpenXC
Hi,

I'm targeting to develop a simple application that can read OBD2 data via OpenXC c5 ble device.
The application is running in raspberry Pi 3.

Currently, I already tried to flash 4 different possible firmwares for OpenXC c5 ble device (using window 8 enterprise x64 machine).

Currently I'm using vi-obd2-translated version (vi-translated_obd2-firmware-CROSSCHASM_C5_BLE-ctv7.2.0.hex).

The problem is that: I am able to view the data from the OBD2 using usb cable (openxc-dump will return the data for me).

However, when I try using bluetooth connection, it's failed with error: (112, 'Host is down'), even I can pair the OpenXC device into raspberry pi.

Full stack of my hardware is:
Freematic OBD2 hardware emulator (with J1850 PWM enabled) <-> OpenXC C5 ble device (flashed vi-translated-obd2 firmware) <-> raspberry Pi (using openxc-dump utility)

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric Marsman

Jul 13, 2017, 2:36:05 PM7/13/17
to OpenXC
Hello,

We have not yet checked the python environment for BLE compatibility. The BLE devices is just for iOS at this point. Is there a particular reason you chose the BLE device? I would recommend the Reference VI. Here is a thread where Ref VI + RPi  over Bluetooth is working:

I'm sure the error you're getting is b/c the python is trying to call standard bluetooth connections and BLE is required. You could take a crack at getting it to work. I don't know what libraries are available for BLE on R Pi with python.

Regards,
Eric

THINH PHAM LE

Jul 13, 2017, 5:23:20 PM7/13/17
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the explanation.
I will try to look for a crack that can make the openxc-dump.

One thing I spot is that in the code: the bluetooth adaptor class (both in python version and java version for Android app) is looking for device names that start with: 'OpenXC_VI', while the device name of BLE device is 'OpenXC_C5_BTLE' or 'CrossChasm'.

Even I modify the prefix name into 'OpenXC_' only, but none of them are work.

Beside looking into the python, I also try to run the 'OpenXC Enabler' app on an Android device.
Unfortunately based on another discussion thraad: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openxc/bpKSALgqhFs , you mention that the BLE is only supported in IOS.
I wonder if when will the BLE device be support in openXC Enabler Android app?

Thanks,
-Thomas

Eric Marsman

Jul 14, 2017, 10:33:32 AM7/14/17
to OpenXC
For device name, that is a known issue in the released code: https://github.com/openxc/vi-firmware/issues/362

This is fixed in current vi-firmware/master so if you compile your own firmware, that will be fixed. I don't think that this the cause of your issue though.

We are working on the BLE support for Android along with some other things.

The BLE is really just for iOS. If you're doing anything else, we recommend the Reference VI. Is there a reason you chose the BLE device?

Regards,
Eric

Thinh PHAM (Thomas)

Jul 14, 2017, 1:28:05 PM7/14/17
to OpenXC
Hi Eric,

We are looking into the way that we can get the data from Linux based system via OBD2 interface, preferably via bluetooth connection.
The reason we chose C5 BLE as it support both CAN 1 and CAN 2.1. Is it reasonable in your opinion?

We are eager to see the BLE support in Android platform. Hopefully it will be released soon.

Thanks,
-Thomas

Eric Marsman

Jul 14, 2017, 3:13:25 PM7/14/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
The Reference VI has both CAN busses also. In addition it has Bluetooth classic which has much higher data rate than BLE.

Regards,
Eric

Jul 27, 2017, 10:07:29 AM7/27/17
to OpenXC
Hi Tom,

I too am planning to develop an application to read CAN messages from the vehicle, and display that on a GUI. But I saw you mentioned that you are using OpenXC C5 BLE device connected to a Raspberry Pi 3. So is the C5 BLE receiving the CAN messages in this case?

Thanks & Regards,
Pradeep

Thinh PHAM (Thomas)

Aug 2, 2017, 5:38:22 PM8/2/17
to OpenXC
Hi Pradeep,

The answer depends on which communication channel you want to use.
If you're looking for Bluetooth LE, you're out of luck.
As Eric mentioned on couple of threads, BLE is only supported in IOS. No Linux nor Android support (I tried latest version of Openxc with Android without luck). Android may be supported soon, but there's no clear road-map for this.

However, you definitely can use USB cable to get data from via OBD2 using OpenXC C5 BLE device, it's working fine and the setup should be straightforward.

Regards,
-Thomas.