Getting an odd delay in signals (~5 seconds) when using OpenXcEnablerActivity ver 6.0.3

David B

Mar 6, 2015, 2:43:00 PM3/6/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I've switched over to version 6.0.3 from version 5.3.2 because of the improved support for transmitting signals. In the app I created from the OpenXcEnablerActivity, everything seems to work fine except there seems to be about a 5 second lag between the time when the signal is being transmitted an when the display shows the signal. I've created my own graph, I see this same lag in the graph and the dashboard. I see the signals continue for the ~5sec when I unplug the VI.

I know I've caused this issue somehow because when I load the unmodified OpenXcEnablerActivity activity, there is no lag.

I think a clue to the issue could be in this LogCat stuff:
03-06 13:55:31.295: W/RemoteCallbackSink(19662): Couldn't notify application listener -- did it crash?
03-06 13:55:31.295: W/RemoteCallbackSink(19662): android.os.TransactionTooLargeException
03-06 13:55:31.295: W/RemoteCallbackSink(19662): at android.os.BinderProxy.transact(Native Method)
03-06 13:55:31.295: W/RemoteCallbackSink(19662): at com.openxc.remote.VehicleServiceListener$Stub$Proxy.receive(VehicleServiceListener.java:92)
03-06 13:55:31.295: W/RemoteCallbackSink(19662): at com.openxc.sinks.RemoteCallbackSink.propagateMessage(RemoteCallbackSink.java:60)
03-06 13:55:31.295: W/RemoteCallbackSink(19662): at com.openxc.sinks.AbstractQueuedCallbackSink$NotificationThread.run(AbstractQueuedCallbackSink.java:103)

Any ideas on how I broke it?

Zac

Mar 11, 2015, 9:23:46 AM3/11/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I don't know the specifics of this error (and it's interesting that the stock app works fine). Ming created a similar issue on Github: https://github.com/openxc/openxc-android/issues/225. Most of the log is the same.

Do you want to share some of the code that you think might be causing the issue? You could share that on Github if you like.

- Zac

David B

Apr 8, 2015, 10:09:58 AM4/8/15
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I figured out how to fix the problem although I'm not completely clear on why it was happening in the first place.

The delay would happened when I would use the old method,  preV6_OpenXcEnabler, of getting a signal "mVehicleManager.addListener(message_name.class,mmessage_nameListener);". When I stopped using a unique listener for each signal and started using the V6+_OpenXCEnabler method of where there was a single listener for all signals and then checked each message name, then the delay went away.

Christopher Peplin

Apr 9, 2015, 8:19:07 AM4/9/15
to openxc@googlegroups com
Great find, David. That's really bizarre, thanks for finding it. That'll give me something to go on when I look into the issue.