Crosschasm C5 BLE not connecting via bluetooth

Zik

Dec 18, 2016, 3:13:48 AM12/18/16
to OpenXC
Hi,

I have flashed the vi-translated_obd2-firmware-CROSSCHASM_C5_BLE-ctv7.2.0 on my C5 BLE device. When I plug it into the Ford Edge 2010 the LED light stays red and never goes to Blue.
I am able to get a dump of the message visa USB using openxc-dump. The enabler app shows an active connection but no messages are streaming.
When I first tested the device, before flashing it, straight out of the box, similar thing happened the LED stayed red and never went to blue or green state.

I would appreciate any suggestions on this.

I have a separate line of questions on the openXC firmware and the supported data. I have tested other dongles ( Lemur bluedriver, ELM 327) and they both were pushing twice as many supported PIDs than the translated obd2-firmware for the same car

1- What is the reason behind the smaller subset of the data?
2-  Are there any existing firmware that will expose and stream all supported PID for most cars?

Thanks,

Zik

Eric Marsman

Dec 20, 2016, 11:28:05 AM12/20/16
to OpenXC
The OBD2 firmware is waiting for you to send diagnostic requests to the vehicle. The translated obd2 firmware has a built in set of recurring requests (defined here: https://github.com/openxc/vi-firmware/blob/master/src/obd2.cpp#L41) that are automatically sent. Does this match what you are seeing? Not sure what other data the other devices are giving you.

Also note, there is a recent issue that may be related. https://github.com/openxc/vi-firmware/issues/373. Need to find time to look into this. Perhaps you can add details of your vehicle and what you are seeing there as well.

Regards,
Eric

Zik

Dec 20, 2016, 3:10:50 PM12/20/16
to OpenXC
Thanks Eric. The difference between OBD2 and translated firmwares now make sense to me.
So with OBD2 firmware I should be expecting the can connection to be silent until I send a request.
With the translated OBD2 it should send the data back continuously. I was able to see that in openxc-dump command. However when using the enabler android app on translated OBD2 firmware, the led light remained red, indicating silent CAN. I will test on a different android phone to see if this is because of the phone/operating system. Will report back my finding.

Follow up question on the OBD2 vs Translated OBD2 firmware. Will the OBD2 generally provide more signals than the translated one? For example when i poll standard OBD2 using a different device I get catalysts temp. Which is not available on translated obd2.

Thanks a bunch

Zik

Dec 22, 2016, 12:13:56 AM12/22/16
to OpenXC
Update on my C5 BLE bluetooth and USB connections.

Issue 1:
Using the emulator firmware "vi-emulator-firmware-CROSSCHASM_C5_BLE-ctv7.2.0" I was able to confirm data streaming through USB by using openxc-dump from command prompt.
I then tested three android phones (Galaxy S3, S7 and Motorola, why I have 3 android phones is a story for a different day). None of them were showing CAN messages being received. I could see one connection established when I push the "search for Bluetooth VI" link. I could not manually pair the phone with the device, when I got prompted for entering the code (1234) i get the error message that the code is incorrect and could not pair. I tried 0000 as well to no avail.

I also downloaded the translated OBD2 firmware and was successful at performing a dump from python, but again no luck with the bluetooth connection and therefore the enabler app. The LED light remained red.
I am starting to suspect that this is an issue with my newly ordered CrossChasm Device. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Issue 2:

This is less of a concern, but it's annoying me that I get this error. This may be an issue with my python environment and/or windows. I am using an anaconda python distribution, with multiple 3.x and 2.x environments.
When I'm in my 2.7 environment and I run any openxc command, I first get the following error
"Can't read logs from data source -- stopping: ("USB device couldn't be read", USBError(None, 'libusb0-dll:err [_usb_reap_async] timeout error\n'))"
 The openxc command then executes properly, so I am not sure what is going on here. The device also shows up on my device manager as functioning properly. See attached image for the device manager. The LED is solid blue, indicating CAN messages transmitted for the emulator, and I am able to run openxc-dump and dashboard just fine.

Also my device ID is returning FF:FF:FF:FF I came across one post where it said that device ID should not be FF.

Thanks,

ZK

device manager.png

Eric Marsman

Jan 4, 2017, 2:00:38 PM1/4/17
to OpenXC
Hi Zik,

Issue1: I think you have the question answered in your other post. BLE supports iOS as of now. We plan on modifying the Android OpenXC Enabler app to support BLE early this year.

Issue2: yes, this timeout error popped up recently. We have yet to find the root cause. It's an annoyance now b/c the commands still work.

The MAC being FF:FF was a bug. It is fixed in the current 'next' branch. This will be released when we complete testing.

> Follow up question on the OBD2 vs Translated OBD2 firmware. Will the OBD2 generally provide more signals than the translated one? For example when i poll standard OBD2 using a different device I get catalysts temp. Which is not available on translated obd2.

This file defines what PIDs we send by default in the translated_obd2 firmware. You could add other ones to it and re-compile, or send the requests manually or recurring with the obd2 firmware.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Eric
Message has been deleted

Eric Marsman

Jul 23, 2018, 11:05:22 AM7/23/18
to OpenXC
Robert,

Regards,
Eric

On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 10:06:02 PM UTC-4, JOHNAVATAR.com wrote:
Precisely how did you FLASH your VI?  Are you using a Mac, or PC?