Help with communication over USB with FORD VI

Raphael Ottoni

Jul 14, 2017, 11:44:00 PM7/14/17
to OpenXC
Hi Guys,

 I recently bought the VI from Ford to use on my (new) fiesta year 2011 model 2012 with SYNC.  The notebook I am using to connect with it is an mac book pro 2015 vier macOS Sierra 10.12.

What I did so far:

1) installed python openxc lib
2) updated it's firmare to 7.2 (default, obd2 and emulator versions)

When I try it with the emulator firmware, I can perform a bunch of commands (openxc-control version; openxc-dashboard; openxc-diag stuff etc) trought usb and it always answer what I asked  but always it says that "cannot read log data".

It bothered me, but I was fine with it because I got the desired answer. The real problem comes when I use other firmares like the obd2 or the default one (versions 7.2 and 71 were the ones I tried). When I test those, it is a pain just to make it recognize the VI interface, and the few times it does, when I perform some openxc-control  it always answer with empty values ( yes,  it is connected to the car)  and another error alongside the "cannot read log data" saying "cannot read source data".

I dont know what to do, is it possible that my car doesn't support it? I doubt it! Even with the simple OBD2 default commands it says "cannot read source data".

Is there a specific firmare that I shoud use?   I am aware of the FORD spread sheet for compatible cars https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hOBi9-tFwR1KRFXfeaHTAddwJuSGx5Ir1ET4N2zWAiE/edit#gid=1059263702

My car seems to be a type 6 firmware (dont know what it means).

Please help, I need this working for my research.

thanks

Raphael Ottoni

Jul 14, 2017, 11:51:10 PM7/14/17
to OpenXC
Also my FORD VI seems to be a LPC1759.

Raphael Ottoni

Jul 14, 2017, 11:58:43 PM7/14/17
to OpenXC
Does type 6 means Openxc firmware versions 6.x?  If it is the case, I am so dumb.

Dominic Meroux

Jul 15, 2017, 12:36:13 AM7/15/17
to OpenXC
Hi Raphael,

I've used the Reference VI (shows up as LPC1759 on the computer when you flash it) on a 2013 Ford Fiesta, so hopefully I can answer at least some of the questions you mentioned.

Does type 6 means Openxc firmware versions 6.x?
No, you still want 7.x as that is the latest. "TypeX" refers to a firmware type that obtains signals, several that go beyond those you could obtain with a diagnostic request, from the vehicle associated with that firmware type on the spreadsheet you mentioned. OpenXC firmware version X.x refers to the development version of firmware overall for the OpenXC platform (from my understanding). Type 6 should have a name like "vi-firmware-type6-FORDBOARD-ctv7.2.0-csv7.0.0.bin". Did you obtain this file?

If not, go to https://developer.ford.com, I believe you need to create an account, and then you should be able to obtain the vehicle-specific firmware. When you flash the VI with the Type 6 firmware, you should see signals for the Fiesta.

So to clarify with the emulator, do you get the expected JSON output (I'm asking because you mention it says "cannot read log data")?

Hope this helps,

Dominic

Raphael Ottoni

Jul 15, 2017, 2:12:33 AM7/15/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dominic!

I was getting my firmwares from https://github.com/openxc/vi-firmware/releases , those doesn't have any type associated.  I just did what you told me (register on  https://developer.ford.com) and downloaded the correct one (vi-firmware-type6-FORDBOARD-ctv7.2.0-csv7.0.0).

So to clarify with the emulator, do you get the expected JSON output (I'm asking because you mention it says "cannot read log data")?

 Yes I do, but it also prints this "cannot read log data" first.

Thanks for the help, I will try this new firmware tomorrow

Raphael Ottoni S M de Faria

Raphael Ottoni

Jul 16, 2017, 11:55:16 AM7/16/17
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Dominic,

All work just fine! Thanks!

The only small problem is that annoying msg "cannot read log data" that keeps appearing.

Another thing that I noticed is that sometimes in the openxc-dashboard the "steering wheel angle" is mistaken as the "torque_at_trasmission"... I will test more about this bug later.

image1.JPG

Eric Marsman

Jul 21, 2017, 11:04:03 AM7/21/17
to OpenXC
The python message is a known issue: https://github.com/openxc/openxc-python/issues/89

Let us know if you need anything further.

Thanks for the support Dominic!

Regards,
Eric