Can't read logs from data source (Device is running version None)

Eduardo HL

Apr 12, 2017, 11:10:19 AM4/12/17
to OpenXC
Hi everyone:

I'm having an issue when i try to flash a custom firmware on a Ford reference VI.
When i flash the device with the "emulator" firmware it runs well the openxc-control version/dump commands but when i flash my custom firmware it crashes.

The terminal returns me: (for openxc-control version)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\JHERED13>openxc-control version --format json
Can't read logs from data source -- stopping: ("USB device couldn't be read", US
BError(None, 'libusb0-dll:err [_usb_reap_async] timeout error\n'))
Can't read from data source -- stopping: ("USB device couldn't be read", USBErro
r(None, 'libusb0-dll:err [_usb_reap_async] timeout error\n'))
Device is running version None

and for openxc-dump:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\JHERED13>openxc-dump
Can't read from data source -- stopping: ("USB device couldn't be read", USBErro
r(None, 'libusb0-dll:err [_usb_reap_async] timeout error\n'))
Can't read logs from data source -- stopping: ("USB device couldn't be read", US
BError(None, 'libusb0-dll:err [_usb_reap_async] timeout error\n'))

I want to believe there is an error making the .bin file and the ford reference isn't reading it but i don't know.

Eric Marsman

Apr 12, 2017, 3:07:12 PM4/12/17
to OpenXC
Hi Eduardo,

Good news is you have stuff working with the emulator. For your custom build, what version of vi-firmware are you using and what are your compile settings? Do you have a custom signals.cpp? If you're not using emulator in your custom build, what vehicle are you plugged into and what signals are you decoding? What are the lights on the VI doing? Some of this information is required to figure out what's going on.

I would recommend just using the current vi-firmware master and do a % fab reference emulator build. That will build an almost identical (slightly newer version) to the emulator you're using from the download. If this works, then you know you're compiling ok, it's just a setting/CAN signal thing.

Regards,
Eric

Eduardo HL

Apr 18, 2017, 1:05:48 PM4/18/17
to OpenXC
Im using the 7.2.1-dev version, the compile settings are:

 - FORDBOARD = PLATFORM
- 1                     = BOOTLOADER
- default_mode   = ENVIRONMENT_MODE
- 0                     = TEST_MODE_ONLY
- 0                     = DEBUG
- 0                     = MSD_ENABLE
- 180                  = DEFAULT_FILE_GENERATE_SECS
- 0                     = DEFAULT_METRICS_STATUS
- 1                     = DEFAULT_ALLOW_RAW_WRITE_USB
- 0                     = DEFAULT_ALLOW_RAW_WRITE_UART
- 0                     = DEFAULT_ALLOW_RAW_WRITE_NETWORK
- OFF                = DEFAULT_LOGGING_OUTPUT
- JSON              = DEFAULT_OUTPUT_FORMAT
- 0                     = DEFAULT_EMULATED_DATA_STATUS
- ALWAYS_ON   = DEFAULT_POWER_MANAGEMENT
- 1                     = DEFAULT_USB_PRODUCT_ID
- 0                     = DEFAULT_CAN_ACK_STATUS
- 1                     = DEFAULT_OBD2_BUS
- 0                     = DEFAULT_RECURRING_OBD2_REQUESTS_STATUS

The light of the VI are red even if is connected to a vehicle and the laptop or only to the laptop and it keeps me sending "device is running version none", but when i use the openxc enabler app the VI lights became blue and pink and it works but only from the app . I'm using a ford ecosport 2016.

Eric Marsman

Apr 19, 2017, 10:25:21 AM4/19/17
to OpenXC
Hi Eduardo,

If you want to power the device through USB, you have to use DEFAULT_EMULATED_DATA_STATUS=1 (or add 'emulator' to your fab command). That is what our "emulator" firmware is. I would start there. Do a "% fab reference emulator build" and flash that. Connect it to laptop over USB and you should be able to run python commands and connect via the app.

After that, you will have confirmed you can compile and flash your own firmware. Then you can start building for your own vehicle.

Regards,
Eric