New OpenXC-compatible Vehicle Interface from CrossChasm

Chris

Jun 28, 2013, 2:41:06 PM6/28/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi OpenXC developers,

I'm very excited to announce that the OpenXC vehicle interface firmware is now supported on another hardware platform - the C5 OBD interface from CrossChasm!

The vehicle interface (VI) page on the OpenXC website has been rearranged to be less focused on the chipKIT-based, home-built VI. The C5 may be the first compact, pre-built interface, but we plan to continue to expand the list of supported hardware. When building the VI firmware from source, you'll want to consult the C5-specific documentation.

The C5 is based on an almost identical PIC32 microcontroller to the chipKIT Max32, which means we can seamlessly support both platforms with the same code base. The package of pre-built firmware from Ford (available from http://developer.ford.com) will also include a version for the C5 going forward.

Thanks,
Chris

John Thomas

Jul 18, 2013, 5:05:59 PM7/18/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
I'm having a hard time loading the firmware onto the C5.  I'm on Windows, and I can't seem to get my PC to recognize the C5.  At first I didn't load any drivers, and the device started out as stk500v2 under "Other Devices" in Device Manager, then after 5 seconds it reverted to "USB Device" in Other Devices.

I then loaded the windows drivers for the can translator, and now the device shows as "OpenXC CAN Translator" in "libusb-win32 devices".  My other hardware (that I put together) would show as a COM port.

I'm not clear how I can address the device to load the firmware from my cygwin session, given I don't see it as a COMx port.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Christopher Peplin

Jul 21, 2013, 2:38:52 PM7/21/13
to openxc@googlegroups com
Hi John, sorry to hear you're having trouble - I think we neglected to test in Windows, but I'm sure we can get it working.

The C5 goes into a bootloader mode for the first 5 seconds, waiting for re-flashing commands over USB. That's the initial stk500v2 device that shows up, and as far as I know it should have a COM port associated with it. The 5 second window is short so I don't have great advice at the moment (sitting in an airport in Linux) on how to figure out the COM port assignment.

After the 5 seconds it boots up whatever code is already flashed - in this case the C5 is pre-programmed with the CAN emulator fimware, I believe.

I'll have access to a Windows machine this week and I'll see if i can figure anything out. Some Googling just now led me to this instructions for using an stk500v2 interfaced bootloader from Windows: https://github.com/chipKIT32/pic32-Arduino-USB-Bootloader-original

Chris

John Thomas

Jul 23, 2013, 1:47:24 PM7/23/13
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris, that link helped.  I downloaded the Stk500V2.inf file, plugged in the device, found it "Other Devices" in device manager (before it disappeared after 5 seconds), right-clicked it and installed the driver (Skt500v2.inf).  I then "lost" the device to it's other state and so unplugged it and plugged it in again.  Now it shows up under my "Ports" section in device manager at COM10, and so was able to flash the firmware Ford provided to the unit.  Haven't tested it yet, and might not for a few days, but I think I am past the initial problem of how to get the firmware loaded.  Thanks!

-- John

Travis Gintz

Jan 6, 2016, 12:24:54 PM1/6/16
to OpenXC
I had the same issue, but My new Windows 10 laptop didn't need me to install the INF file (nor did it let me, saying there were issues with the inf file). It already showed up as COM3, and avrdude.exe ran just fine. I did install the lib and dll files as directed by the crosschasm pdf: