Piano module

Hans Beemsterboer

Jan 24, 2011, 10:31:17 AM1/24/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Is anybody currently working on the piano module?

I'm experimenting with it and have added some features:

- Press 1, 2 or 3 for playing a song.
- Press 'p' for pause, 'r' for resume and 'q' for stopping a song.
- When you step into the 'cone of silence', the music will stop
playing.
- If you are within the 'cone of silence', you can not play on the
piano.

You can check it on: http://www.beemsoft.nl/wonderland

Greetings,
Hans

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 24, 2011, 10:56:47 AM1/24/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

These sound like some great enhancements. Unfortunately, I wasn't able
to try them. When I tried to launch your world, I got the following
exception.

Nicole.

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource:
http://localhost:8080/wonderland-web-front/app/Wonderland.jnlp
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(DownloadEngine.java:1372)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1525)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1503)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1609)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1534)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(DownloadEngine.java:217)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(DownloadEngine.java:201)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Launcher.java:477)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Launcher.java:256)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Launcher.java:207)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:124)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Main.java:447)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Main.java:279)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Main.java:117)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:432)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:163)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:394)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:529)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:233)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:306)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:323)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLConnection.java:975)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.java:916)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:841)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doRequest(BasicHttpRequest.java:185)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doRequest(BasicHttpRequest.java:113)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doGetRequest(BasicHttpRequest.java:78)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(DownloadEngine.java:1182)
[...]

jjsahalf

Jan 24, 2011, 1:02:35 PM1/24/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hey Hans

Thank your for your attention to our modules.
Your improvement is really exciting.

I'm interested in your new implementation and some inside technique
details, we can talk via email directly.
Hope we can work together.

Thank you!
> sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLConnectio...)
>      at
> sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.ja...)

Hans Beemsterboer

Jan 26, 2011, 4:24:14 PM1/26/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Nicole,

I have fixed the startup issue with the JNLP file.
Can you please try it again?

I've noticed that the MIDI sound doesn't work when using the Oracle
JDK.
Therefore, I've switched to OpenJDK.

Greetings,
Hans

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 26, 2011, 11:14:50 PM1/26/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

Did your server go down? Java Web Start began the download, but it hung
half-way through. Now I can no longer load the web page
http://www.beemsoft.nl/wonderland .

Nicole.

Hans Beemsterboer

Jan 27, 2011, 11:44:24 AM1/27/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Yes, my server was hanging. I've restarted it now.
I'm still working on a script that will automatically restart the
server when it is not responding any more.

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 27, 2011, 12:48:59 PM1/27/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

Still no luck. I've copied the exceptions below.

Sorry,
Nicole.

Java Web Start 1.6.0_22
Using JRE version 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
User home directory = /Users/nicoley
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
0-5: set trace level to <n>
#### Java Web Start Error:
#### Unable to load resource:
http://www.beemsoft.nl/wonderland/wonderland-web-front/app/wonderland-web-webstart.jar

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource:

http://www.beemsoft.nl/wonderland/wonderland-web-front/app/wonderland-web-webstart.jar

at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(DownloadEngine.java:1372)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1525)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1503)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1609)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1534)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(DownloadEngine.java:217)
at

com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload$DownloadTask.call(LaunchDownload.java:1979)
at
at
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

java.io.EOFException: Unexpected end of ZLIB input stream
at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.fill(InflaterInputStream.java:223)
at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.read(InflaterInputStream.java:141)
at java.util.zip.ZipInputStream.read(ZipInputStream.java:154)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.HttpDownloadHelper.decompressWrite(HttpDownloadHelper.java:257)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.HttpDownloadHelper.download(HttpDownloadHelper.java:136)
at
com.sun.deploy.cache.Cache.downloadResourceToTempFile(Cache.java:568)
at com.sun.deploy.cache.Cache.downloadResourceToCache(Cache.java:529)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(DownloadEngine.java:1347)

at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1525)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1503)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1609)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(DownloadEngine.java:1534)
at
com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(DownloadEngine.java:217)
at

com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload$DownloadTask.call(LaunchDownload.java:1979)
at
at
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

richards christopher

Jan 27, 2011, 11:31:06 PM1/27/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hi Hans,

Your work sounds interesting. I am also working on something similar
to you. I am trying to create a virtual learning tool for an audio
studio setup. I tried launching your world and i got the errors as
posted. i am really interested in seeing your world. Please post me if
you are done with the module.

Regards
Richards

On Jan 27, 10:48 pm, Nicole Yankelovich <nic...@yankelovich.ws> wrote:
> Hans,
>
> Still no luck. I've copied the exceptions below.
>
> Sorry,
> Nicole.
>
> Java Web Start 1.6.0_22
> Using JRE version 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
> User home directory = /Users/nicoley
> c:   clear console window
> f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
> g:   garbage collect
> h:   display this help message
> m:   print memory usage
> o:   trigger logging
> p:   reload proxy configuration
> q:   hide console
> r:   reload policy configuration
> s:   dump system and deployment properties
> t:   dump thread list
> v:   dump thread stack
> 0-5: set trace level to <n>
> #### Java Web Start Error:
> #### Unable to load resource:http://www.beemsoft.nl/wonderland/wonderland-web-front/app/wonderland...
>
> com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource:http://www.beemsoft.nl/wonderland/wonderland-web-front/app/wonderland...

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 28, 2011, 12:12:53 AM1/28/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

Success! I was able to log into your world and try out the piano. It
worked once I went back and found the instructions :-) But I did run
into a few issues.

> - Press 1, 2 or 3 for playing a song.

It would be great to add these to the context menu or add a "Playlist"
item which pops up a HUD control with the list of songs you can play.
That would also give the user a way to stop one song and play another. I
managed to have all three songs playing at the same time!

> - Press 'p' for pause, 'r' for resume and 'q' for stopping a song.

These keys didn't work for me. I think what may have happened is that
there have been some updates related to keyboard shortcuts. I ran into
this just trying to play the piano. My camera was going crazy. The "c"
key toggles to different camera modes. The "f" key changes to the front
camera, and the "t" key changes to third person. These need to be
disabled when the piano is turned on.

> - When you step into the 'cone of silence', the music will stop
> playing.

The cone didn't work for me either. I'm not sure why that would be. I
had this problem in a different world recently. Is the cone of silence
working for others in the newest build?

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Nicole.

PS. Richards, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your audio studio...

richards christopher

Jan 28, 2011, 1:48:44 AM1/28/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your interest. Your suggestions and help will be of great
use to me. I am trying to create a virtual learning tool to learn the
working of different equipments in an audio studio. for instance, an
audio mixer have many knobs and controls for various functions such as
faders ( to control the volume of each channel of input & the master
output), Equalizer controls (to adjust the frequency components) and
so on. It would be helpful if you could tell me how you managed to log
in to the world created by Hans for the piano. I still run in to
errors when i try to launch the world. Is there any changes that i
have to make??

Richards

Hans Beemsterboer

Jan 28, 2011, 11:46:34 AM1/28/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Nicole,

Finally some progress!

Today, I noticed that the key events are handled very slowly on my
server.
That might explain why the keys were not working in your case.

It's true that the 'c' key gives some nice special camera effects ;)

Adding a song list is a good idea, but first I want to get these
technical
issues resolved.

Greetings,
Hans

richards christopher

Jan 29, 2011, 3:32:59 AM1/29/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hi Hans,
I am still not able to log in to your world. is it still available. I
am very much interested in seeing your world.

Regards,
Richards

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 29, 2011, 11:47:26 PM1/29/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Richards,

That sounds like a great application. I've played around with a number
of audio mixers, but would love to try out your virtual learning tool to
gain a better understanding of some of these complicated devices. I'm
looking forward to seeing it once you have it built!

In terms of logging into Hans' world, I didn't do anything special. Hans
fixed a few problems with the server, which I was hoping was going to
resolve the problems for you as well. If you're still having trouble,
please post your error messages here and let us know exactly where in
the login process things are failing.

Nicole.