Open Wonderland Events

Nicole Yankelovich

Oct 8, 2012, 1:39:39 PM10/8/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
This "sticky" announcement will be used for posting information about Open Wonderland events.

jagwire

Oct 8, 2012, 1:41:54 PM10/8/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
This week, instead of the showcase, attendees will continue discussing logistics for the code-a-thon event on October 14th, 2012. Attendees will be meeting on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080 from 1pm-2pm Eastern.

see you there!
-jW

Nicole Yankelovich

Oct 8, 2012, 9:23:17 PM10/8/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Details about the first code-a-thon are now posted on the blog:

http://blogs.openwonderland.org/2012/10/09/first-open-wonderland-code-a-thon/

Nicole.

Nicole Yankelovich

Oct 8, 2012, 9:32:51 PM10/8/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
As a reminder, all Open Wonderland events are posted on the Open Wonderland Google calendar. You can access this calendar via the web:

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=openwonderlandfoundation%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

or you can embed it into any calendar application that supports iCal:

https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/openwonderlandfoundation%40gmail.com/public/basic.ics

Nicole

Nicole Yankelovich

Oct 15, 2012, 12:14:31 AM10/15/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Although there was no regular meeting planned for this coming Wednesday,
October 17th at 1pm US Eastern time, we have decided to use the time
slot to continue work on the Postcard code-a-thon project. The meeting
details and timezone information are on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/events/157678254375951/

Anyone is welcome to join.

Nicole.

Nicole Yankelovich

Oct 17, 2012, 10:15:09 AM10/17/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder that we're having a code-a-thon follow-up session today
starting at 1pm US Eastern time. Hope to see you there!

Nicole.

Jos Flores

Oct 17, 2012, 12:59:47 PM10/17/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, only heading home now, so might be an hour or so. Hope to
catch you still on!

cheers,
José

jagwire

Oct 22, 2012, 6:01:26 PM10/22/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
On October 24th, there will be a November Release Meeting to discuss outstanding issues in preparation for Open Wonderland's November release. Join others on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080 from 1pm - 2pm Eastern.

Please RSVP using the facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/398261216911980

best,
-jW

Nicole Yankelovich

Oct 23, 2012, 11:09:12 PM10/23/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
For a variety of reasons, we have changed the time of tomorrow's November release meeting to one and half hours later than the usual time. It is now starting at 2:30pm US Eastern time. To see the event start time in your time zone, look here:

http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OWL+November+Release+Meeting&iso=20121024T1430&p1=43&ah=1

I have updated the event time on Facebook.

Very sorry if this is an inconvenience for anyone.

Nicole.

Nicole Yankelovich

Oct 29, 2012, 11:58:32 AM10/29/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
This week's community meeting will focus on data collection. We would
like to brainstorm a wishlist of types of information people would like
to collect about their OWL users. What information would you like to
have about your students use of Wonderland? What statistics would be
most useful to gauge what customers are up to in your OWL worlds?

Please join the discussion on Wednesday during our community meeting at
1pm US Eastern time. Here's the event time in your timezone:

http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OWL+Data+Collection+Discussion&iso=20121031T13&p1=43&ah=1

SPECIAL TIME ADVISORY: The clocks in Europe have already changed to
Winter time, but the US clocks do not change until November 4th, so for
this week, we will be an hour out of sync.

More details are available on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/events/124537711032219/

Hope you can join the discussion!

Regards,
Nicole.

Nicole Yankelovich

Nov 6, 2012, 10:11:43 PM11/6/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Tomorrow's community meeting at 1pm US Eastern time will be a planning session for our next code-a-thon. Please join us if you can to debrief on the last event and decide what we're going to do for the next one. Event details are on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/events/297254510375174/

Look here to see the event time in your timezone:

http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=2nd+OWL+Code-a-thon+Planning+Meeting&iso=20121107T13&p1=43&ah=1

Sorry for the late notice! I'm still catching up from losing power for four days during the hurricane last week.

Nicole.

Jos Flores

Nov 7, 2012, 5:05:13 AM11/7/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

probably won't make it on time today, but count me in for Sunday.

cheers,
José

Nicole Yankelovich

Nov 7, 2012, 2:54:14 PM11/7/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
This Sunday, November 11 from 1-9pm US Eastern time we will be holding
another Open Wonderland code-a-thon. In today's planning meeting, we
decided to continue work on the Postcards from Wonderland project we
began last month. This month's focus will be on figuring out ways to
export postcards to various social media sites. There's an announcement
on the blog with signup details:

http://blogs.openwonderland.org/2012/11/07/postcards-part-ii-new-participants-wanted/

Or you can go directly to the Eventbrite page to sign up:

http://owl-code-a-thon.eventbrite.com/

It is not necessary to have participated in the last code-a-thon to join
this event. It's a great learning opportunity for both developers and
non-technical people. Bob has even developed a new multi-user text
editor that we tested out during the planning meeting today and will be
using on Sunday for recording notes and creating documentation.

The code-a-thon is free and open to everyone, but we do ask that you
sign up using Eventbrite.

Hope to see you on Sunday!

Nicole.

Nicole Yankelovich

Nov 9, 2012, 10:28:10 PM11/9/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com

Nicole Yankelovich

Nov 11, 2012, 11:40:03 AM11/11/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick reminder that the code-a-thon starts in a little over an
hour on the community server:

http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

Hope to see you there!
Nicole.

Roland Sassen

Nov 11, 2012, 3:09:53 PM11/11/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
The server is tired I think
> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Nicole Yankelovich

Nov 30, 2012, 12:14:08 AM11/30/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Coming up on Wednesday, December 5th at 1pm US Eastern time, I will be
hosting the first OWL Showcase event. I will be giving a tour of
Springfield Technical Community College's Open Wonderland world.
WonderBuilders has worked with the STCC faculty to create an extensive
learning environment for English as a Second Language students. In this
US National Science Foundation sponsored project, we are just completing
the first semester-long deployment of Wonderland in two ESL classrooms.
During the tour, attendees will have the opportunity to try out some of
the in-world activities including recording audio conversations, going
on an activity scavenger hunt, participating in a photo hunt, and
creating a custom fair booth. Registration is required for this event.
Login information will be sent to people who register:

http://owl-esl-showcase.eventbrite.com/

If you plan on attending and have a smart phone, I encourage you take
some photos using Instagram so you can more fully participate in the
"photo hunt" activity. You can see a preview of this activity in the ESL
Department's recently published album on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.445205652208417.101706.118474844881501&type=1

We have decided not to run another code-a-thon in December, so if
there's interest, I would be willing to run a second weekend tour of
this space some time during the December 16th time slot we allocated for
the code-a-thon. Please let me know if there's interest and I'll set up
another Eventbrite registration page.

Follow this link to check the event time in your timezone:

http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OWL+Showcase%3A+STCC+ESL+Virtual+Campus&iso=20121205T13&p1=43&ah=1

Hope you can make it!

Nicole.

Jos Flores

Dec 3, 2012, 9:28:01 AM12/3/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicole,

I won't make it on time, but hope to catch you guys towards the end of
the tour. Are there any details needed to log in? I suppose it will
not be on owf1?

cheers,
José

Nicole Yankelovich

Dec 3, 2012, 11:29:46 AM12/3/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Jos�,

I am only sending the URL to people who register on Eventbrite. Since we
are meeting on a server that is in active use by classes, I have opted
not to make the URL public. So if you think you might like to join,
please register!

On 12/3/12 9:28 AM, Jos Flores wrote:
> Hi Nicole,
>
> I won't make it on time, but hope to catch you guys towards the end of
> the tour. Are there any details needed to log in? I suppose it will
> not be on owf1?
>
> cheers,
> Jos�

Jos Flores

Dec 3, 2012, 11:36:07 AM12/3/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Done! :)

but as I mentioned, might not make it, so feel free to recycle the
ticket if you need to!

cheers,
José

On 3 December 2012 16:29, Nicole Yankelovich <nic...@yankelovich.ws> wrote:
> José,
>
> I am only sending the URL to people who register on Eventbrite. Since we are
> meeting on a server that is in active use by classes, I have opted not to
> make the URL public. So if you think you might like to join, please
> register!
>
> http://owl-esl-showcase.eventbrite.com/
>
> Hope to see you there!
> Nicole.
>

> On 12/3/12 9:28 AM, Jos Flores wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nicole,
>>
>> I won't make it on time, but hope to catch you guys towards the end of
>> the tour. Are there any details needed to log in? I suppose it will
>> not be on owf1?
>>
>> cheers,
>> José

Nicole Yankelovich

Dec 3, 2012, 12:19:01 PM12/3/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I have posted an announcement on the blog about this event. Feel free to
share with others who might be interested or post a link to the blog
article on your social media pages.

http://blogs.openwonderland.org/2012/12/03/owl-showcase-stcc-esl-virtual-campus/

Thanks,
Nicole.

Ric Moore

Dec 3, 2012, 4:49:42 PM12/3/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I have a Doctor appointment on the 5th. So, if you do have another
event, I would like to participate. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Nicole Yankelovich

Dec 4, 2012, 5:26:38 PM12/4/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Please register as soon as possible if you would like to join the
Showcase tour tomorrow. Everyone who has registered so far should have
received a link to the server by now. Please contact me privately if you
did not receive my message with the link.

Nicole.

Nicole Yankelovich

Dec 11, 2012, 5:06:57 PM12/11/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Tomorrow during the regular Wonderland Wednesday meeting slot (1pm US Eastern time), please join me for a planning session to discuss the community meeting schedule for the spring (January - June). We need ideas for community meeting topics, showcases, technical discussions, and code-a-thons, as well as volunteers to offer virtual world tours or lead community discussions. If you can't make it to the meeting, but would like to volunteer to do one of these things, please let me know.

We have decided not to run another code-a-thon in December as everyone is too busy wrapping up end-of-year business. Instead, I will be repeating the ESL Showcase on Sunday, December 16th at 2pm US Eastern time (registration via Evenbrite is required for this), and then we will be having our final release meeting of the year on Wednesday, December 19th.

Planning Meeting for Community Events for Spring 2013
Wed Dec 12, 1pm US Eastern
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OWL+Community+Event+Planning+Meeting&iso=20121212T13&p1=43&ah=1

STCC ESL Showcase (repeat event, register here: http://owl-esl-showcase2.eventbrite.com)
Sun Dec 16, 2pm US Eastern
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Repeat+OWL+Showcase%3A+STCC+ESL+Virtual+Campus&iso=20121216T14&p1=43&ah=1

OWL December Release Meeting
Wed Dec 19, 1pm US Eastern
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OWL+December+Release+Meeting&iso=20121219T13&p1=43&ah=1

These events are also listed in the Event section of the Open Wonderland Facebook page.

Community Meetings will take a holiday break after the 19th. We will resume a regular meeting schedule on Wednesday, January 2nd.

Hope to see you at one of these events!
Nicole.

Nicole Yankelovich

Dec 19, 2012, 9:51:58 AM12/19/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Due to some scheduling complications, we are changing the time of the
release meeting today to 4pm US Eastern time (3 hours later than our
normal Wednesday meeting time). This meeting is open to everyone. We
review the outstanding bugs and feature requests in the issue tracker
and decide which new pieces of code should be included in the next
monthly release. It's a good opportunity to meet the developers and
provide your input on the priority of bugs and feature requests.

Hope to see you there,
Nicole.

Ric Moore

Dec 19, 2012, 5:21:33 PM12/19/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Just as everyone was leaving, I was trying to "talk" ...new HughesNet
connection is much faster, and without the connect hassles I used to
have. Just not sure if my uplink is fast enough to transmit voice. :) Ric

Nicole Yankelovich

Dec 19, 2012, 7:06:37 PM12/19/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Ric,

So sorry! We never heard you.

Nicole.

Ric Moore

Dec 19, 2012, 11:34:13 PM12/19/12
On 12/19/2012 07:06 PM, Nicole Yankelovich wrote:
> Ric,
>
> So sorry! We never heard you.

I didn't want to experiment while all of that great discussion was going
on. I did post a comment regarding Java and Mac OS... since I have never
laid hands on a Mac. I am wondering if MacOS has an alternatives scheme
like Linux does?

When I install a newer version of Java I could easily have 2-3 versions
in /var/lib/jvm. But, via alternatives, you point to the version
directory of your choice to use that directory's bin and library files
...so when you type "java" you use a link in /usr/bin/java that points
to /etc/alternatives/java which points to the correct binary back in
/usr/lib/jvm/oracle-jdk<release>/bin/java. So, an update merely edits
/etc/alternatives/ to provide the correct system link.

It's magic! A lot of folks don't even know it exists. And, if the
package maintainer makes a mistake, you will have problems with
incorrect links. And, it'll look like OWL's fault! Could it be the same
with MacOS, which is a kissing cousin to Linux?? That might explain a
few problems with the switch from Java 6 to Java 7. Initially, that was
my problem. Now the package maintainers have it pretty much perfect.

With regards to sound, since I just did a complete wipe and fresh
install of Ubuntu 12.10, I had to re-init my configuration of sound
using java -jar softphone.jar. OWL never seems to init/configure sound
for me, from fresh and the sound utils never seem to do anything from
the client menu. Once I run the softphone jar directly, sound happens
just fine. You might pass that on to your MacOS users. If my home
directory /.java directory gets erased, I have to do that again.

Jus' my two cents, Ric

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 1, 2013, 11:59:58 PM1/1/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!

I'm just returning from vacation and a nice break from my computer. I
didn't have a chance to finalize the meeting schedule for the Spring
before I left, so I'll be working on that this week. There will not be a
community meeting this week (January 2nd), but we'll pick up the regular
meeting schedule again on the 9th.

If anyone has a virtual world, an in-world activity, or a new feature
they would like to showcase during a community meeting, I'm actively
looking for volunteers. In addition, if there's a discussion topic you
would be willing to moderate, please let me know.

I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays.

Happy New Year!
Nicole.

Jos Flores

Jan 2, 2013, 5:17:29 AM1/2/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Happy New Year to Everyone!

cheers,
José

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 15, 2013, 6:51:25 PM1/15/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
During our 1pm US Eastern time slot tomorrow, I will be hosting a
Wonderland World Building "Train-the-trainer" workshop. I will share my
notes from my world building classes and go over them step-by-step so
that people can make more detailed notes.

Hope to see you there!
Nicole.

PS. Ryan, could you post the event on Facebook for me please. I'm
running out the door for the evening. Thanks!

jagwire

Jan 16, 2013, 9:59:50 AM1/16/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late notice, just got the message this morning.

You can find the Facebook event here: http://www.facebook.com/events/537263919630904

best,
-jW

Ric Moore

Jan 16, 2013, 6:24:59 PM1/16/13
On 01/16/2013 09:59 AM, jagwire wrote:
> Sorry for the late notice, just got the message this morning.

I'd like to thank Nicole for the demo and tutorial. I'm looking forward
to the next one! Ric

Nicole Yankelovich

Mar 6, 2013, 9:44:17 PM3/6/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!

We haven't had a community gathering in a while - I've been a bit overwhelmed with work and haven't had a chance to organize them (volunteer organizers would be extremely welcome!). Part of the work I've been doing, however, is making sure that some of the more serious OWL problems are getting addressed and fixed.

I'm very pleased to announce that WonderBuilders, with help from community member Carlos Rafael Ramirez, has a fix ready to test for the problem of OWL not working on Java 7 on the Mac. We also have fixes for a number of other significant problems (see the Summary of Updates below for the details). The Java 7 fix involved fairly extensive code changes. Before we integrate this code into the open source repository, I would like to request help from all of you - our QA team - to test these changes on as many different computers / operating systems / graphics cards as possible to make sure the fixes works and that we haven't broken other things. There's also a hope that Wonderland may now run on a slightly wider range of lower-end hardware due to the upgrade we made to fix the Java 7 problem.

Please join us for one of two testing sessions this week on Friday and Saturday:

OWL Community Testing Sessions
http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080/

Friday, March 8th at 1pm US Eastern time
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OWL+Testing+Friday&iso=20130308T13&p1=43&ah=1

Saturday March 9th at 11am US Eastern time
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=OWL+Testing+Saturday&iso=20130309T11&p1=43&ah=1

These testing sessions are particularly important because most of these fixes have only been tested with one or two clients. As we know from experience, single user testing is not sufficient - many important problems emerge when multiple avatars are involved. If, however, you are not able to make one of these sessions, I would encourage you to do some testing on your own. The code is currently on the community server (owf1), so you can start any time. I have created a public Google Doc for everyone to share testing results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au30myQl_gW2dGt5TVlsOUlKek04RFo5OUt2cnRJMEE&usp=sharing

Please follow the pattern I have started with the first 4 entries in the spreadsheet. If you run into any issues, please note them briefly in the spreadsheet and post a more detailed description on the forum. If possible, please capture an error report or other data. Instructions for data collection are here:

http://wiki.openwonderland.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Troubleshooting%20and%20Testing#section-Troubleshooting+and+Testing-DataCollection

Hope to see you at one of these sessions!
Nicole.

Summary of Updates
Wonderland fails to run on Macs with Java 7
This problem occurred when Java for Mac transitioned from Apple to Oracle control. Apple's version of Java included some Mac-specific code. When Oracle took over support for Java on the Mac, they removed this code to make the Java implementations more consistent across the different platforms. Removing the Mac-specific code caused Wonderland to stop working. After trying a number of different approaches to fixing the problem, we ended up porting Wonderland from JOGL 1 to JOGL 2.0. JOGL is the Java bindings for the OpenGL API which provide hardware-supported 3D graphics to applications written in Java. JOGL 2.0 represents a significant upgrade over the 1.x branch. It includes support for the latest OpenGL features. In order to incorporate this version into Wonderland, we had to modify JME and MTGame code to include support for new functionality and the GL profile system. We also had to modify the openwonderland-avatars project since it contains shader code that had to be adjusted to work with the new GL. Additionally, we made some slight changes to Wonderland itself to resolve some issues with using new JOGL.

Parenting Issue
Once a parent object has more than 15 or 20 items, various problems occur. Sometimes an object will disappear after being parented. Other times the position values are corrupted. The problem was with the re-parenting code. The child's request were reaching the client before the parent's request. This caused the child to fail to attach to its parent. We added a check on client side to test whether the parent of the current cell has been loaded or not. If it is not loaded, then we send the CellReparentMessage to the server.

Half Window Loaded Issue
Sometimes when users first log in, only the top half of the screen renders the 3D scene. The user's avatar also fails to load. This issue was being caused by a ConcurrentModificationException. In the ViewManger.java class some threads were trying to add an item in the array list while others were iterating over the same list. We resolved the problem by putting the iteration code in a synchronized block.

Sitting Problem with multiple users
Sitting was not being displayed properly to new logged in clients or for clients teleporting from another space. Seated users where shown as standing. This problem was caused by a trigger value not getting stored on the server. We now store the trigger value on the server and read that value when clients log in, performing the trigger operation.

Microphone not working
The problem with microphone occurred when the user logs in and is in listening area. The microphone was unable to find the Player for that user. The player was being created after the microphone finished searching for it. We now create the Player in the microphone if it is not found.

Bob Potter

Mar 6, 2013, 10:55:17 PM3/6/13
to openwonderland
This is great news!!!  Did a quick test and looks good.  Will try and make it to one of the sessions.

Bob

Jos Flores

Mar 7, 2013, 8:13:41 AM3/7/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
great news indeed! I'll be around on Saturday.

cheers,
José

Jos Flores

Mar 7, 2013, 8:19:49 AM3/7/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Just logged in with Mac + Java 7 and all seems good; great work guys!

cheers,
José

Nicole Yankelovich

Mar 8, 2013, 10:34:58 AM3/8/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder about the testing sessions today and tomorrow. The details are below.

Since we're testing new code, there's always a chance that clients will hang or the server will go down. For that reason, it would helpful if everyone who is involved in the testing join the Wonderland IRC chat channel. This gives us an important back-channel for communication. Our IRC channel is called "wonderland" on "irc.freenode.net". You can either use an IRC client such as one of the ones listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_Relay_Chat_clients

or you can use this web-based version:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick=1&channels=wonderland&prompt=1

Note that if you use the web-based version, please change the random nickname it assigns to a more meaningful user name.

Hope to see you at one of the session.

Nicole.

PS. We're in the middle of another major snow storm here on the east coast of the US. If I don't show up at the testing session, it means I've lost power or internet.

On 03/06/2013 09:44 PM, Nicole Yankelovich wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> We haven't had a community gathering in a while - I've been a bit
> overwhelmed with work and haven't had a chance to organize them
> (volunteer organizers would be extremely welcome!). Part of the work
> I've been doing, however, is making sure that some of the more serious
> OWL problems are getting addressed and fixed.
Great meeting! Sure was fun! But, at some point soon, I hope that
whatever was pegging Java past 100% of one core is remedied. For someone
with one core, it would be a show stopper. Great experience though, we
have come a LONG ways since back when! :) Ric

Nicole Yankelovich

Mar 8, 2013, 9:05:08 PM3/8/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone who came to the testing session today! And a heads-up for those coming tomorrow. Don't try to resize your window if you're on Mac or Windows. This causes the client to hang.

The good news is that although we found a handful of other issues, this was really the only P1 problem.

Tomorrow we're going to continue to work on trying to reproduce some sitting issues and also stress the parenting system some more.

Hope to see you tomorrow,
Nicole.

Nicole Yankelovich

Mar 11, 2013, 2:52:12 PM3/11/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com, Bernard Horan
Everyone,

We didn't find many more issues in Saturday's test session, so now we're working to resolve the issues we did find. I'll send a message when there's a new version to test.

Bernard,

I noticed your entry in the Google Drive spreadsheet about your MacBook Air:

Threw an exception when logging in, one that seems familiar: WARNING: Uncaught exception
        at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:547). And a GL error: GL_INVALID_VALUE ( 1281 0x501),
        at javax.media.opengl.DebugGL2.checkGLGetError(DebugGL2.java:24831)
        at javax.media.opengl.DebugGL2.glTexSubImage2D(DebugGL2.java:12851). Menubar items all greyed out.

Were you using the very latest Java 7 update? If not, if you update to the very latest Java version, does this still happen? My daughter's MacBook Air didn't work initially, but when she updated her version of Java, it worked fine.

Thanks,
Nicole.

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Mar 11, 2013, 3:24:10 PM3/11/13
to openwonderland, Bernard Horan
Hello Nicole,

I had the same error look in the 15 row in the spreadsheet, I don't have the very latest Java 7, but also I didn't see any problem in the world, so I don't know exactly what is causing it or what is the consequence.

Regards

lette...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2013, 12:02:44 AM7/19/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com

hi ... I am just new on Open Wonderland, I cant seem to get through with my access each time i clicked the "Server Admin". I keep having the screen  with "details for user". My aim of coming to this platform is to use its GUI as an environment where Jason/jade agents can receive percepts from users. Is this possible with Open Wonderland? Thanks.

Nicole Yankelovich

Jul 19, 2013, 11:08:05 AM7/19/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I can't answer your question about Jason/Jade agents in particular, but
that sort of thing is generally possible with Open Wonderland.

> I cant seem to get through with my access each time i clicked the
> "Server Admin". I keep having the screen with "details for user".
The problem is that you need to login in to the Server Admin Console
with the special "admin" user name. To get rid of that "Details for
user" screen, click on the "Logout" item in the left navigation area.
That will bring you back to the admin login screen.

Is this a server that you set up yourself? If so, you hopefully know
what the admin password is.

Let us know if you still have trouble logging into the Admin Console.

Nicole.

lette...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2013, 7:30:58 PM7/22/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
hi ...thanks for your first response. My hostname is something like this- http://199.xx.xxx.xxx.8080/.Wwhen i click on the launch button, i gui window for wonderland is displayed but i am told that for what i want to do in Jason/Jade, i need to go through "Server Admin" link. But this is giving another window where the "User ID" is not clickable.  How can i get the User ID or what is the user ID? And i am a an Authenticated User.

 Thanks.

On Monday, October 8, 2012 6:39:39 PM UTC+1, Nicole Yankelovich wrote:
This "sticky" announcement will be used for posting information about Open Wonderland events.

lette...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2013, 4:49:30 PM7/23/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nicole

I tried the steps of using "admin" for the password and username. But what i got is invalid username and password. I think this is coming because i created an account with open wonderland at the download and setting up stage.
On the other hand, I noticed with the Java web Start, some of my menu eg Edit menu has got the Configure Avatar, etc tab. How can i refresh or reset to default? Or can my account be reset? I really need to get this thing going/working.  Any workable suggestion will do.

Thanks

Nicole Yankelovich

Jul 23, 2013, 5:28:11 PM7/23/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Ken,

I'm not completely understanding your problem. It sounds like the issue may be that you don't remember what you set up as the admin password. I'm not entirely sure how to go about resetting that. Perhaps someone else on the list may know a way to do that. One thing to try. Use the user name "admin" but leave the password field blank and see if you can get in that way. Perhaps no password was set?

But this is giving another window where the "User ID" is not clickable.  How can i get the User ID or what is the user ID? And i am a an Authenticated User.
You'll need to send a screenshot. I'm not sure where you're seeing "User ID."

And i am a an Authenticated User.
This only applies if you have installed the authentication module. By default, user authentication is turned off.

I noticed with the Java web Start, some of my menu eg Edit menu has got the Configure Avatar, etc tab. How can i refresh or reset to default?
This seems like the correct behavior. You should be seeing these menu items. This is the default configuration.

Jos Flores

Jul 23, 2013, 6:20:21 PM7/23/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I've been following these threads too, but I have no idea what
problems you are having; You are going to have to be very specific and
give an account of what you have already done, what you want to do,
where you are stuck, and all that with the highest detail possible.

cheers,
José

Ric Moore

Jul 23, 2013, 11:05:23 PM7/23/13
On 07/23/2013 06:20 PM, Jos Flores wrote:
> I've been following these threads too, but I have no idea what
> problems you are having; You are going to have to be very specific and
> give an account of what you have already done, what you want to do,
> where you are stuck, and all that with the highest detail possible.
>
> cheers,
> Jos�

Yeah, as the stock install doesn't require a password. Since this is
still beta, it might be better to treat it as beta software and report
back any difficulties running OWL more or less stock for now.

From what I gather he has turned on the password feature and it doesn't
want to let him log in? Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /

Maha Jaber

Jul 24, 2013, 5:04:33 PM7/24/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
hello Nicole
I'm a beginner in OWL, i need the clear tutorial to use it
I don't know which formula supported and not supported
and how i use the formula Unsupported

Nicole Yankelovich

Jul 24, 2013, 11:58:37 PM7/24/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Maha,

Hi. Welcome to the community. Please see our documentation portal for tutorials:

http://code.google.com/p/openwonderland/wiki/OpenWonderland

If you are a developer, then the first link to the architecture paper is a good place to start, followed by the "Tutorial for Beginners."

Hope that helps,
Nicole.

On 7/24/13 5:04 PM, Maha Jaber wrote:
helloï؟½Nicole
I'm a beginner in OWL, i need the clear tutorial to use it
I don't know which formula supported and not supported
and how i use the formula Unsupported

ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ 8 ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ر، 2012 UTC+3 8:39:39 ï؟½ ï؟½ï؟½ï؟½ Nicole Yankelovich:
This "sticky" announcement will be used for posting information about Open Wonderland events.
ï؟½
ï؟½

Maha Jaber

Jul 26, 2013, 6:33:24 PM7/26/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com, nic...@yankelovich.ws
Thank you very much,
Is there a channel in YouTube for beginners?
AND
My friend has a problem with the installation,
and set here
I hope help

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Jul 26, 2013, 7:09:51 PM7/26/13
to openwonderland
Hope it helps:

Read For Users articles they include pictures.

And this is the channel:

Regards,
Carlos

Maha Jaber

Jul 26, 2013, 9:31:07 PM7/26/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Thank you dear

hnd3837

Nov 15, 2013, 9:24:47 PM11/15/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicole,

How are you doing? Are there any other tutorials available for developers? I am working on a small project which involves integration of OWL and speech recognition for people with disabilities. I am using Sphinx-4, which is frankly speaking a bit complicated due to poor documentation. I am trying to dig around looking for tutorials that will specifically help me with this part but so far I have had no luck. If you can share some tips or information, I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks and Regards.
PS. I realize that this is not the intended thread for my question but I just took a chance. I hope it's not too much trouble.

Ric Moore

Nov 16, 2013, 2:16:38 AM11/16/13
On 11/15/2013 09:24 PM, hnd3837 wrote:
> Hi Nicole,
>
> How are you doing? Are there any other tutorials available for
> developers? I am working on a small project which involves integration
> of OWL and speech recognition for people with disabilities. I am using
> Sphinx-4, which is frankly speaking a bit complicated due to poor
> documentation. I am trying to dig around looking for tutorials that will
> specifically help me with this part but so far I have had no luck. If
> you can share some tips or information, I'll really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks and Regards.
> PS. I realize that this is not the intended thread for my question but I
> just took a chance. I hope it's not too much trouble.

It's always better to start a new thread for a new topic so everyone can
search to find it by subject line. Otherwise, you'll be the only person
to benefit. :) Ric

Harshada

Nov 17, 2013, 3:44:45 PM11/17/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I agree. I'll create a new thread to avoid any confusion.

Regards.

Nicole Yankelovich

Nov 18, 2013, 4:49:00 PM11/18/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I am responding to this message in a new thread since I didn't see already started...

Are there any other tutorials available for developers?
All the tutorials that exist are linked to the documentation wiki:

http://code.google.com/p/openwonderland/wiki/OpenWonderland

If you can share some tips or information, I'll really appreciate it.
Sorry, I'm not a developer, so I'm afraid I can't really help you out. If you can formulate some specific questions, I can try to direct those to someone who might be able to help.

Nicole.

Sep 12, 2014, 4:39:55 AM9/12/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com, nic...@yankelovich.ws
It may have been disappointing that I did not present at DroidCon UK but it looks like I may have been successful in landing a booth at DroidCon UK for Open Wonderland. I will let you know if/when this is official.

Carl Jokl

Sep 12, 2014, 4:41:08 AM9/12/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com, nic...@yankelovich.ws
Sorry that was a bit out of context of the previous posts but thought "Events" would be the most appropriate place to talk about a conference booth.

Carl Jokl

Jul 8, 2015, 5:05:07 AM7/8/15
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
In other developments, I was offered a good deal for a hotel in Boston and I am traveling back from DroidCon New York via Boston. I am hoping that being able to stay in Boston for an extra night could allow me to visit the Open Wonderland office or failing that I could always go and see Aaron Walsh at Boston College. I am just concerned that my British mind doesn't always comprehend the American traveling distances given how much more spread out everything is and how big America is in general.

In addition to this I have submitted my "Virtual Reality is the new Black" talk to the App World conference in London who sent me a notification that they were calling for papers. We shall see if anything comes of that. I have a fair few submissions to conferences at this point and am reasonably confident that I should get at least one of them. Each opportunity I get to speak will improve my prospects of speaking again as I become better known.

Carl

Carl Jokl

Jul 12, 2015, 7:09:29 PM7/12/15
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I know that conference sponsors have a higher chance of getting chosen to speak. I am currently getting in contact with Droidcon NYC about potentially providing some sponsorship on behalf of the Open Wonderland foundation. I need to wait and see if the amounts of money involved are within what I can afford. If successful I would consider doing the same for DroidCon and iOSCon in London.

Nicole Yankelovich

Jul 13, 2015, 12:20:20 AM7/13/15
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Carl,

That would be great! Keep us posted.

Nicole.

On 7/12/15 7:09 PM, Carl Jokl wrote:
I know that conference sponsors have a higher chance of getting chosen to speak. I am currently getting in contact with Droidcon NYC about potentially providing some sponsorship on behalf of the Open Wonderland foundation. I need to wait and see if the amounts of money involved are within what I can afford. If successful I would consider doing the same for DroidCon and iOSCon in London.

Carl Jokl

Aug 5, 2015, 2:45:49 PM8/5/15
to Open Wonderland Forum
Both Droidcon NYC and Devoxx Belgium rejected my conference submission. I am pretty annoyed as I don't know what more I could have done to get it accepted.

Maggie Leber

Aug 9, 2015, 8:49:46 AM8/9/15
to Open Wonderland Forum
My sense is that Devoxx participation is pretty hotly contested. Droidcon would no-doubt consider OWL to be off-topic.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Carl Jokl <ca...@jokl.co.uk> wrote:
Both Droidcon NYC and Devoxx Belgium rejected my conference submission. I am pretty annoyed as I don't know what more I could have done to get it accepted.

Carl Jokl

Aug 9, 2015, 9:08:52 AM8/9/15
to openwonderland
It is frustrating when I just consider that at this point I look and honestly don't know what more I could have done to get the presentation accepted. I put together the most sexy sounding abstracts I could muster. I think the VR things is very relevant to DroidCon and a Google Cardbord VR session did get accepted. The speaker is no doubt better known by the team. At least I got a discounted ticket to DroidCon NYC. When slots are limited I guess the speakers who are the best known get preferential treatment. I am not beaten yet. I am going to throw my big guns at DroidCon London as last year I got a booth and went all out to make the booth as cool as I could within my budget. Novoda who run the conference have suggested I could do an internal presentation at their office, which I would like to do. I have been told that sponsorship is not actually likely to make much difference in my chances of getting accepted.

If that is the case, I have just got my own place in London in Marylebone area (near Baker Street). It is a prime and very central location. I got it with a view to making it easier to have people stay at my place if they can't afford a hotel in London. The Hilton Metropole close to where I live charges as much for 1 night as I pay for a week in rent at peak season. I have sofa bed and such. If sponsorship is not going to make difference then I would rather do something like pay for a plane ticket for Carlos, who is porting to JME 3 to co-present. Even if people didn't want to stay with me, there are a bunch of more affordable Bed and Breakfast places in the area I may be able to cover.

I have a final stage interview for a 6 month Scala contract position. It was advertised at £500 to £550 per day but I am being put forward at £450 per day. Even at that rate I would have an income of about £10K a month for my business before taxes and cost etc. This was one strategy business wise to just try and get a well paid contract and focus on throwing some money at Open Wonderland. Even if I don't get this one (I am doing well so far so I am quite confident) the agency that put me forward has a bunch of contracts that are coming available this August. I was going to try and get into financial services as some of those contracts in London pay up to £800 a day. It is all rather silly money really but given how much money I am spending on my business on devices and conferences etc I could certainly use the money.

I am still battling to get onto the Sony developer program. Then I will try to get onto the Nintendo and Microsoft Console programs. I have quite a few friends at Microsoft now so I hope that helps.

Carl

Carl Jokl

Aug 9, 2015, 9:10:04 AM8/9/15
to openwonderland
*a prime location

Carl Jokl

Aug 11, 2015, 7:15:42 PM8/11/15
to Open Wonderland Forum
Well I successfully landed the contract and start on Thursday the 13th.

It will be good to have some cash flow into Jokl Technologies. By the time the next conferences come around, I should be in a better position to sponsor things or pay for travel etc.

Carl

Carl Jokl

Aug 18, 2015, 3:08:51 PM8/18/15
to Open Wonderland Forum
OK I managed to secure a sponsor booth at Droidcon NYC. Can any people more local than me help out? 2 ticks to the conference are included in the deal and I have one for myself already

Nicole Yankelovich

Aug 18, 2015, 9:13:40 PM8/18/15
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Carl,

When is the event?

Nicole.

Carl Jokl

Aug 19, 2015, 9:10:44 AM8/19/15
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Nicole

It is the 27th and 28th of August. It is really not that far away now. It is not like DroidCon London where I have the advantage of living in central London so any local assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Carl

Carl Jokl

Aug 27, 2015, 10:17:20 AM8/27/15
to Open Wonderland Forum
After all the expense of putting together a booth and the expense and effort of flying it to New York I get to Droidcon only to find out there is no booth for me. To say I am annoyed is an understatement. At least no one beside myself travelled here.

Nicole Yankelovich

Aug 27, 2015, 10:44:03 PM8/27/15
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Carl,

I'm so sorry to hear that! How in the world did that happen?

Nicole.

Carl Jokl

Aug 27, 2015, 10:54:57 PM8/27/15
to openwonderland

I said I didn't have the money to pay until I had received my payment from my last contract. The organiser gave me an invoice for 15 days to give me time to pay. In the meantime I assume they just gave the booth to someone who had the money but didn't bother to tell me.

This might be the first and last time I do DroidCon NYC. I think Droidcon London is much better.

I did leave it with the London organisers that getting a presentation slot was not about me it was about Open Wonderland so if I am the weak link then I would fly you in from Boston if it meant securing a slot and given it is now my last best hope of getting any slot this year I was prepared to do everything in my power to try and land one.

Carl Jokl

Aug 27, 2015, 11:00:22 PM8/27/15
to openwonderland

The issue here is not that I didn't get a booth. After all I could do without that cost. The issue is that they made me think I had one then let me turn up with all my booth gear only to find I didn't actually have a booth. Imagine I'd you had travelled in specially and then didn't actually have a ticket.

Nicole Yankelovich

Aug 27, 2015, 11:30:42 PM8/27/15
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I can imagine that I'd be pretty upset!

Nicole.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Open Wonderland Forum" group.

Carl Jokl

Aug 27, 2015, 11:45:25 PM8/27/15
to openwonderland

I think the New York culture is how shall I say...more aggressively capitalist and money grabbing than London. I didn't just come to New York for Droidcon though. I hope to meet the producer of an independent movie I am hoping to help produce. So far that hasn't worked out either.

New York is great if you have the money to enjoy it. Right now I need to save my money holding out until I finally get paid.

Carl Jokl

Sep 26, 2015, 8:17:41 AM9/26/15
to Open Wonderland Forum
I am back in London and now working for the Daily Mail Online focused on Test Automation.

I don't know how involved I can be while settling in to my new job but at least I am financially stable.