Issues with x64 clients?

James Firth

Nov 6, 2013, 5:43:18 AM11/6/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
i have the openwonderland server up and running on a windows xp machine using the latest binary and it works perfectly well...with x86 clients only.

on windows 7 x64 machines the clients fail every time.
tried on machines with latest x86 java jre installed and on machines with the x64 version installed (note: not mixing java versions, these machines either have ONLY the x86 or x64 version of java installed)

the failure throws up this error on the clients: shared drawable is null

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Shared Drawable is null
    at jogamp.opengl.windows.wgl.WindowsWGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.preselectGraphicsConfiguration(WindowsWGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:250)
    at jogamp.opengl.windows.wgl.WindowsWGLGraphicsConfiguration.preselectGraphicsConfiguration(WindowsWGLGraphicsConfiguration.java:158)
    at jogamp.opengl.windows.wgl.awt.WindowsAWTWGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.chooseGraphicsConfigurationImpl(WindowsAWTWGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:128)
    at javax.media.nativewindow.GraphicsConfigurationFactory.chooseGraphicsConfiguration(GraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:420)
    at javax.media.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.chooseGraphicsConfiguration(GLCanvas.java:1180)
    at javax.media.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.addNotify(GLCanvas.java:572)
    at java.awt.Container.addImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.add(Unknown Source)
    at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.ViewManager.attachViewCanvas(ViewManager.java:300)
    at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.createUI(JmeClientMain.java:687)
    at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.<init>(JmeClientMain.java:223)
    at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.main(JmeClientMain.java:649)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

which i would presume is javas way of saying "hey your fancy graphics cards dont like opengl", kind of odd considering i can play opengl based games on them but whatever.

also this happens not just with my server but with the openwonderland test server, and the check system option on that server tries to open but then disappears off into the aether never to be seen or heard of again so i cannot give any problem details with that.

does anyone have any clue as to how this can be fixed?

A B

Nov 6, 2013, 9:49:18 PM11/6/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Unfortunately I don't have any direct solution (I am a beginner myself), other than to say I am running an Ubuntu Linux server with 64 bit OS and 64 bit Java, and maybe a two-week old binary of the development version. So all that to say some 64 bit Javas can work (can you sacrifice a windows computer to linux?).

One other thing you might try is to get some of the Java openGL test programs off the web that are not part of OWL, and see if they work. If they work, then you know the problem is linked to OWL, otherwise the problem is a more generic problem.

I have pretty good luck with Nvidia cards.

Best of luck,

Andrew

Ric Moore

Nov 6, 2013, 11:55:18 PM11/6/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
You must have OpenGL enabled drivers. That usually means the factory
drivers. It's in the docs. Some Intels make the cut and some don't. Same
with older AMD graphics cards. nVidia has pretty much always worked
...WITH the nVidia driver installed. I wouldn't leave home without it.

If these are desktop machines, you can always get an nVidia card for
cheap, disable the onboard video in the bios, after installing the card
setting the bios to use the card, then sin no more by installing the
drivers.

I had OWL running with an old nVidia 5500 card, which is really old.
Easy enough problem to cure with a desktop, With an older laptop, it's
dicey. Install GLX Gears and if that won't run, you're out of luck,
hardware wise, if you cannot install a driver capable of hardware
acceleration.

Again, it's all in the hardware requirements posted in the docs. Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /

James Firth

Nov 7, 2013, 3:26:27 AM11/7/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the replies guys but i'm thinking perhaps i wasnt clear enough in my first post.

the server end of things works perfectly it is the client end that screws up on x64

the cards in all the client machines can and do handle opengl (hence my ability to run opengl games on them)

Ric Moore

Nov 7, 2013, 2:49:25 PM11/7/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Then most likely you have a network issue, instead. Ric

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Nov 7, 2013, 5:17:51 PM11/7/13
to openwonderland
Hello James,

I just tested the client with java 1.7.0_45 64 in Windows 7 64 without any problems. Have you tried to run the client in java x86 in the Windows 64 machine? I think is a machine issue instead of architecture issue

Regards,
Carlos

James Firth

Nov 8, 2013, 4:09:59 AM11/8/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
thanks rickey but no this is an issue with the java jogl component not being able to communicate with the opengl implimentation in the nvidia driver.

thanks carlos, yes as i have previously stated i have tried both x86 and x64 versions of java jre

all of the client computers use nvidia GT640 cards with the latest R331.65 official drivers, 4 are running windows 7 x86 and work perfectly with the server, 8 are running windows 7 x64 and NONE of those work - 2 of which are fresh installs of windows 7 and the only programs installed as yet are the nvidia drivers and  java x86 on one and java x64 on the other.
this leads me to believe that the problem could lie in the implimentation of opengl in the x64 nvidia driver relating specificaly to the GT640 cards that reveals itself under restricted circumstances, they can play opengl based games perfectly well and other java webstart clients work through opengl (uVNC client using webstart and opengl works fine) so the issue is specific to whatever calls the openwonderland client is making through jogl.

Ric Moore

Nov 8, 2013, 5:24:40 PM11/8/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I just recently experienced the Black Screen of Death myself. Upgrading
my hardware to a new HughesNet modem was the cause of it. For whatever
reason it seems that some of the newer kit wants to dummy up the network
experience with the DHCP end being much more aggressive. So, I bought a
cheap router, assigned dhcp to it to the modem, and then configured it
to get my back to my old 192.167.X.X localnet. No more problems. So, on
your server end, you may have issues with ports or IP addresses. You
might wish to explore some more.

My Office server has gone down with a new AT&T router installed, which
ALSO has gone Gestapo regarding DHCP. AT&T acknowledges this. So, as of
late, the ISP's are not playing nice. Just doing NAT has become a
nightmare of sorts. We're looking at the budget to purchase a managed
switch that will do what I want it to do, and not the other way around.

I'm running TWO nVidia GT 520's, at once on my tower desktop, and no
problems. It was my darn network. YMMV, as I only use Linux, but I have
yet to have a fault related to nVidia drivers. Maybe I have just been
blessed! Ric

p/s You DO have the 64bit Java installed on the 64bit machines? Ports
open?? java -version ??

Byte Tax

Nov 8, 2013, 6:56:09 PM11/8/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I have seen the same error on my friends computer today.
Server is Ubuntu 12, Wonderland revision 4894
Client Windows 7 sp1 x64, chip 2011 with no onboard graphic card and Nvidia 660 OC

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Feb 5, 2014, 10:25:53 PM2/5/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The problem happened to me, the story:

1. I have a Dell Latitude E6430 with a dual graphics card NVidia NVS5200 and Intel 4000.
2. Windows offered me to upgrade my NVidia driver.
3. After that the error happens always. With Nvidia and Intel
4. My system is Windows 7 64 and the Java is 32bits 7u40
5. I had to downgrade the driver to the last shipped by Dell
6. The problem fixed.

The error:

[...]

NVidia Driver with problems: 327.62
NVidia Driver runs right: 307.68

Info from NVidia control panel:

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 01/15/2014 22:12:05

[Display]
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: NVS 5200M
Driver version: 327.62
Direct3D API version: 11
Direct3D feature level: 11_0
CUDA Cores: 96
Core clock: 672 MHz
Shader clock: 1344 MHz
Memory data rate: 3138 MHz
Memory interface: 64-bit
Memory bandwidth: 25.10 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB GDDR5
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 3071 MB
Video BIOS version: 70.08.A8.00.8D
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2
Device Id: 10DE 0DFC 15341028
Part Number: 1304 0000

[Components]

easyDaemonAPIU64.DLL 1.14.17.0 NVIDIA Update Components
WLMerger.exe 1.14.17.0 NVIDIA Update Components
daemonu.exe 1.14.17.0 NVIDIA Update Components
ComUpdatus.exe 1.14.17.0 NVIDIA Update Components
NvUpdtr.dll 1.14.17.0 NVIDIA Update Components
NvUpdt.dll 1.14.17.0 NVIDIA Update Components
nvui.dll 8.17.13.2762 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdsync.exe 8.17.13.2762 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.13.2762 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll 8.17.13.2762 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll 8.17.13.2762 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL 8.17.13.2762 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll 7.4.760.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 7.4.760.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll 6.14.13.2762 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll 6.14.13.2762 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.13.2762 NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll 6.14.13.2762 NVIDIA Video Server
nvDispSR.dll 6.14.13.2762 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.13.2762 NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll 6.14.13.2762 NVIDIA Display Server
PhysX 09.12.1031 NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.13.2762 NVIDIA CUDA 5.5.1 driver
nvGameSR.dll 6.14.13.2762 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 6.14.13.2762 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

I am a little scare that this error begins to propagate when users upgrade the NVidia driver. Anyone with the same error can confirm some similarities?

P.D.: I don't have idea how to fix this

Regards
Carlos

Ric Moore

Feb 6, 2014, 4:14:03 PM2/6/14
On 02/05/2014 10:25 PM, Carlos Rafael Ramirez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The problem happened to me, the story:
>
> 1. I have a Dell Latitude E6430 with a dual graphics card NVidia NVS5200
> and Intel 4000.
> 2. Windows offered me to upgrade my NVidia driver.
> 3. After that the error happens always. With Nvidia and Intel
> 4. My system is Windows 7 64 and the Java is 32bits 7u40
> 5. I had to downgrade the driver to the last shipped by Dell
> 6. The problem fixed.

First, is there a reason to run 32bit Java?
Second, can you "lock" the package version for your nVidia driver with
Windows? I run Debian Linux, so I'm not sure. I can have mine locked,
but it's good about staying with the correct package version, only
upgrading that for patches.

Did a quick google, does that laptop have a built-in modem? Some are
reporting the new nVidia driver to have problems with Win Modems. Sounds
strange, but there it is!
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=145974

If you do, try disabling it in the bios, just for ducks.
Another search bought up an entire forum devoted to your problem!
http://www.tomshardware.com/s/solution+nvidia+kernel+mode+driver+lockup/
Good luck! I spent the last 5 evenings trying to build VLC from source,
so I am familiar with how little problems become show stoppers. Ric

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Feb 13, 2014, 8:09:35 PM2/13/14
to openwonderland
Hello Ric,

The 32bit java is for convenience. I have an installer which includes Java and it is easier if I make just one for both Win32 and Win64. But I am pretty sure that I've tested in Java 64 as well.

Yes in fact this is an optional update. The problem is that any user can update or if the have a newer machine it comes with this driver version.

No I don't have a win modem. But I am very surprised that the new troubleshooting guide treats this error as a network error. I will install the driver again and do the proper tests without panic to ensure is not a network problem.

And I will checks your links.

Thank you,
Carlos

Abhishek Upadhyay

Feb 15, 2014, 1:51:42 AM2/15/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I also faced this issue on my machine. I recently changed my graphics card. After that the wonderland client fails to launch. Here are the details of my system:

- Windows 7 64 bit with Java 7 update 51(64bit)
- nVidia GeForce gt 610 driver 322.21

Error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Shared Drawable is null
at jogamp.opengl.windows.wgl.WindowsWGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.preselectGraphicsConfiguration(WindowsWGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:250)
at jogamp.opengl.windows.wgl.WindowsWGLGraphicsConfiguration.preselectGraphicsConfiguration(WindowsWGLGraphicsConfiguration.java:158)
at jogamp.opengl.windows.wgl.awt.WindowsAWTWGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.chooseGraphicsConfigurationImpl(WindowsAWTWGLGraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:128)
at javax.media.nativewindow.GraphicsConfigurationFactory.chooseGraphicsConfiguration(GraphicsConfigurationFactory.java:420)
at javax.media.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.chooseGraphicsConfiguration(GLCanvas.java:1180)
at javax.media.opengl.awt.GLCanvas.addNotify(GLCanvas.java:572)
at java.awt.Container.addImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.add(Unknown Source)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.ViewManager.attachViewCanvas(ViewManager.java:299)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.createUI(JmeClientMain.java:688)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.<init>(JmeClientMain.java:224)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.main(JmeClientMain.java:650)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I had to install the older version driver 320.18 to make wonderland client work.

I did research for both divers and found that the driver with the version 322.21 supports OpenGL version 3 and later. While the older driver 320.18 supports OpenGL version 1.1 to 4. I used OpenGL viewer(http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) to know the OpenGL support of the graphics card. So the newer drivers don't support the older OpenGL versions.

I think in open wonderland, OpenGL version 2 is used. So it doesn't supports with the newer versions of nVidia drivers.

Regards,
Abhishek Upadhyay.

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

May 21, 2014, 12:37:54 PM5/21/14
to openwonderland
Hello,

Good news!! NVIDIA fixed the issue on version 334.95 even in the version 333.11 the error happens. People which have NVS in their laptops must upgrade to Quadro Perfromance Driver instead of ODE driver which still have the bug.

The problem is worse due to Dell automatically upgraded the driver to 327.62 so probably many users will face the issue and must upgrade the driver in order to resolve it.

Test and post the results!!

Regards,
Carlos