Main Site Unresponsive?

Haravikk

Oct 31, 2017, 3:25:33 PM10/31/17
to Open Wonderland Forum
So first of all, wow, I used to be a fan of Second Life, but somehow managed to go without ever hearing about Open Wonderland or the technologies that it leverages, pretty amazing stuff.

I was hoping to learn more, but the main website at openwonderland.org appears to be unresponsive, all requests are timing out, it also doesn't seem as though social media or the blog have been updated in some time.

I realise that Open Wonderland is written in Java, but with it being based on open standards I was interested in whether it might be possible to write a Javascript client, even if it were just a stripped down viewer for exploring it could open this up again now that Java applets seem destined for obsolescence. Have any such projects been attempted?

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Nov 7, 2017, 4:11:26 PM11/7/17
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I saw your message just now. Everything is in the client and the server is just a coordinator so, if you want to write a client in JavaScript you basically need to write the whole openwonderland from scratch. Here we have talked about WebGL and other technologies. Probably the best bet is to use the GWT compiler or bck2brwsr and translate the OpenGL calls into WebGL ones. There is a project somewhere which aims to port jmonkeyengine to WebGL but I don't know the status. I think it is a very hard work and you can find a dead end somewhere or find that the performance is not good enough.

Well in fact the site still is down. Soon the administrators will see this massage and start it up again.

Regards

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Nov 9, 2017, 5:52:34 PM11/9/17
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Well meanwhile the site returns, read this:

And download this Wonderland.jar version so you can test

Use JDK (no JRE) 7, no 6 no 8 no 9 for the server. For the client you can use java 8 but no 9 for now.

Hope it helps

Regards