Tech Problem: The Black Screen

Tev2k3

Jul 25, 2012, 6:41:27 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm new to Open Wonderland and have spent the last few days getting it *almost* working... I think I've just got one more problem to overcome... The dreaded black screen of doom.

Here's some information:
I'm able to start Wonderland on the server and it seems to run correctly. When I go to the Launch page in a browser, it downloads the jnlp with no problem and 'launches', but the screen is black and there's nothing that I've been able to find that fixes this. From researching the forum, it sounds like this is usually a connection issue (see errorlog below).

- It's installed on an AWS Linux server using RHEL 5
- I get the following error in the error console (Help > Error Log)

WARNING 10:57:13 org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.Webstart webstartSetup

Running from Java Web Start. Performing setup.

WARNING 10:57:23 org.jdesktop.wonderland.common.utils.ScannedClassLoader createDB

Scanned classes in 5818 ms.

WARNING 10:57:26 org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.viewproperties.client.ViewPropertiesUtils loadViewProperties

Unable to find viewproperties.xml in

WARNING 10:57:27 org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.placemarks.client.PlacemarkUtils getItemList

Unable to find placemarks.xml in /placemarks

WARNING 10:57:27 org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.avatarbase.client.imi.ImiAvatarConfigManager addServerAndSync

Adding server http://[MYIP]:8080/

WARNING 10:57:27 org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.cell.CellCacheBasicImpl <init>

Create cell cache

WARNING 10:57:32 org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain <init>

Error connecting to default server http://[MYIP]:8080/

java.io.IOException: Error connecting to http://[MYIP]:8080/

at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.loadServer(JmeClientMain.java:417)

at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.<init>(JmeClientMain.java:289)

at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.main(JmeClientMain.java:649)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.comms.LoginFailureException: Unable to connect to server

at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.comms.WonderlandSessionImpl$LoginAttempt.setFailure(WonderlandSessionImpl.java:916)

at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.comms.WonderlandSessionImpl$LoginAttempt.setFailure(WonderlandSessionImpl.java:905)

at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.comms.WonderlandSessionImpl$WonderlandClientListener.disconnected(WonderlandSessionImpl.java:755)

at com.sun.sgs.client.simple.SimpleClient$SimpleClientConnectionListener.disconnected(SimpleClient.java:423)

at com.sun.sgs.impl.client.simple.SimpleClientConnector$ConnectWatchdogThread.run(SimpleClientConnector.java:197)

So - from that I think it's a connection issue, but I'm not sure how to correct this. It looks like the 8080 port is open:
1[1]>nmap localhost

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2012-07-25 10:20 UTC
Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
Not shown: 1667 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
25/tcp   open  smtp
80/tcp   open  http
842/tcp  open  unknown
954/tcp  open  unknown
1080/tcp open  socks
1139/tcp open  cce3x
2009/tcp open  news
2010/tcp open  search
3306/tcp open  mysql
6666/tcp open  irc-serv
6668/tcp open  irc
8080/tcp open  http-proxy

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.207 seconds

- I can ping the server from my laptop, so it seems to be accessible
- I've used Java -D to try and set the server to the IP address and the fqdn (no ports) but it still hasn't worked.
- I've used the latest nightly build from a couple days ago (7/24/2012)

I hope I've given enough information and I hope someone can help me out!

Thanks,

Tev

Jos Flores

Jul 25, 2012, 6:46:15 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
how are you launching the server? are you connecting from the same
machine that is running the server? are you using your IP address in
the command line or properties file? see notes in config options
section: http://openwonderland.org/download/binary#config-options

cheers,
José

Tev2k3

Jul 25, 2012, 7:02:52 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I knew I'd forget something.

I'm connecting to the linux server using PuTTy and that's how I'm launching the Wonderland app. This means that I can't really access it from the server (no desktop environment).

I access the URL that is given from a different machine (my laptop).

Normally I launch using "java -jar Wonderland.jar".
I have also tried "java -Dwonderland.webserver.host=localhost -jar Wonderland.jar"
I've also tried "java -Dwonderland.webserver.host=http://mydomain.com -jar Wonderland.jar".
I've also used the IP address instead of the domain: "java -Dwonderland.webserver.host=http://my.ip.address -jar Wonderland.jar".

Thanks for your quick assistance!

Tev

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:46:15 AM UTC+1, Jos wrote:
how are you launching the server? are you connecting from the same
machine that is running the server? are you using your IP address in
the command line or properties file? see notes in config options
section: http://openwonderland.org/download/binary#config-options

cheers,
José

Jos Flores

Jul 25, 2012, 7:08:00 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
if you are connecting from a remote machine then localhost (or no
arguments) will not work for you. You can start it up with your IP
address as you mention (but you do not need the http:// part). Or you
can copy the following properties file to the same place you have your
wonderland.jar file and start it up as described in the link I sent in
my previous email (file is at:
http://code.google.com/p/openwonderland/source/browse/trunk/my.run.properties.example).
You can rename that file by deleting the '.example' part.

cheers,
Jose

Tev2k3

Jul 25, 2012, 7:45:21 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so still having problems.

I copied the my.run.properties directly from your link, saved it in the same directory as Wonderland.jar and launched using: "java -jar Wonderland.jar my.run.properties"

Now it's not launching. It's 'freezing' at:
<snip>

Jul 25, 2012 11:30:26 AM org.glassfish.persistence.common.Java2DBProcessorHelper logI18NWarnMessage
WARNING: Cannot create tables for application security-session-noauth-security-session-noauth. The expected DDL file security-session-noauth-security-session-noauth_WonderlandGroupPU_createDDL.jdbc is not available.
Jul 25, 2012 11:30:26 AM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /.wonderland-server/0.5-dev/run/webdeploy/security-session-noauth-security-session-noauth.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Jul 25, 2012 11:30:26 AM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /.wonderland-server/0.5-dev/run/webdeploy/admin-tools-admin-tools.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Shutdown hook registered
</snip>

This now happens with or without the my.run.properties, so it's probably a server thing?

Was I supposed to make any changes to the file you sent?

Thanks again!

Tev

Jos Flores

Jul 25, 2012, 7:47:02 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
have you modified the file with your own options?

Jose

Tev2k3

Jul 25, 2012, 9:04:00 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Which options do I need to change?

If I just set the "wonderland.config.dir" will that allow the other variables to work?

Jos Flores

Jul 25, 2012, 10:22:55 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
you at least have to change the IP address for yours. Please read the
other variables and, if it makes sense, change them accordingly to
your needs.

Jose

Tev2k3

Jul 25, 2012, 10:51:48 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Ok, here's what I changed it to:

#Default directories for deployment files
wonderland.config.dir=/.wonderland-server/0.5

wonderland.webserver.wfs.root=/.wonderland-server/0.5/wfs
wonderland.webserver.modules.root=/.wonderland-server/0.5/modules
wonderland.log.dir=/.wonderland-server/0.5/log
wonderland.run.dir=/.wonderland-server/0.5/run

# Whether or not to automatically start any configured apps (such as the
# Darkstar server) when the web server starts up
wonderland.runner.autostart=true

# Whether or not to shutdown any applications launched through the web
# UI when the web server exits
wonderland.runner.autostop=true

#The IP address of the web server
wonderland.webserver.host=10.32.208.139

#Enable persistence of the virtual world between server restarts
# None - the database is cleared on each restart
# Full - all state is persisted between restarts
#wonderland.sgs.persistence=none

I am still getting the black screen and the connection failed error.

Morris Ford

Jul 25, 2012, 11:06:21 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I believe you said that your server is on an AWS virtual server. Is that correct? My experience with AWS (EC2) is that the 10.x.x.x ip addresses are internal/local addresses. You will need an external ip or url to access that server.

Morris

Jos Flores

Jul 25, 2012, 11:09:17 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
yes, I agree with Morris, sounds like an internal address. You could
access with a client in the same sub-network, but if it's an AWS
server, then I doubt you will be hooking up a client internally.

Jose

Tev2k3

Jul 25, 2012, 11:21:58 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys,

I was worried that may be the case. I'll create a new instance and see if that works for me.

I appreciate all the help.

Tev

Jos Flores

Jul 25, 2012, 11:31:35 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Why do you need another instance? do you have an external IP for the
one you already have?

José

Morris Ford

Jul 25, 2012, 11:50:05 AM7/25/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
All the information about internal and external addresses is in the bottom part of the screen on the aws management console when the instance is selected. The external ip is buried in a url that they give as the external access address.