noob question for new server setup

Sean McGrath

Oct 10, 2014, 11:58:27 AM10/10/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.

Firstly I'd like to apologise in advance for this post. I'm probably missing something basic. I've had a look online including in the forum but haven't found where I am going wrong yet.

I have an Ubuntu server running Open WonerLand, the most recent stable release. I'm just setting up the server for an academic who will be using it for research so OWL is not my area of expertise unfortunately.

When I start the application I get the output below which has some errors in it but also tells me that the web server has started successfully.

When I browse to the WonderLand site I get the default Tomcat homepage, i.e. no WonderLand site is available. The screen shot attached is what I see.

What incredibly basic thing have I missed that I am doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance.

Sean

"launch-openwonderland.sh" 2L, 63C written
owl@openwonderland:~$ ./launch-openwonderland.sh
Oct 10, 2014 4:49:54 PM org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.launcher.WebServerLauncher main
WARNING: Launching Open Wonderland version 0.5 rev. 4895 (1-September-2014)
Oct 10, 2014 4:49:54 PM org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.launcher.WebServerLauncher compareVersions
WARNING: Comparing versions.  Jar file: 1409555531000 Directory: 1409555531000
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:01 PM org.jdesktop.wonderland.common.utils.ScannedClassLoader createDB
WARNING: Scanned classes in 6415 ms.
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:05 PM com.sun.enterprise.security.ssl.SSLUtils checkCertificateDates
SEVERE: java_security.expired_certificate
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:05 PM com.sun.enterprise.security.ssl.SSLUtils checkCertificateDates
SEVERE: java_security.expired_certificate
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:11 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-checksums.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:15 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-wfs.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:17 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-help.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:18 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-modules.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:32 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-runner.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:34 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-asset.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:36 PM org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.service.ModuleManager redeployAll
WARNING: [MODULES] deploying 70 modules.
Oct 10, 2014 4:50:57 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/darkstar-darkstarserver.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:51:59 PM org.glassfish.persistence.common.Java2DBProcessorHelper executeDDLs
WARNING: Got SQLException executing statement "CREATE TABLE GROUPENTITY (ID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (ID))": java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'GROUPENTITY' already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Oct 10, 2014 4:51:59 PM org.glassfish.persistence.common.Java2DBProcessorHelper executeDDLs
WARNING: Got SQLException executing statement "ALTER TABLE MEMBERENTITY ADD CONSTRAINT MMBRNTITYgrpcolumn FOREIGN KEY (groupcolumn) REFERENCES GROUPENTITY (ID)": java.sql.SQLException: Constraint 'MMBRNTITYGRPCOLUMN' already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Oct 10, 2014 4:52:00 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/security-groups-security-groups.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:52:01 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/servermanager-servermanager-web.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:52:07 PM org.glassfish.persistence.common.Java2DBProcessorHelper executeDDLs
WARNING: Got SQLException executing statement "CREATE TABLE MEMBERENTITY (GROUPID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, MEMBERID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, OWNER SMALLINT DEFAULT 0, groupcolumn VARCHAR(255), PRIMARY KEY (GROUPID, MEMBERID))": java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'MEMBERENTITY' already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Oct 10, 2014 4:52:07 PM org.glassfish.persistence.common.Java2DBProcessorHelper executeDDLs
WARNING: Got SQLException executing statement "CREATE TABLE GROUPENTITY (ID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (ID))": java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'GROUPENTITY' already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Oct 10, 2014 4:52:07 PM org.glassfish.persistence.common.Java2DBProcessorHelper executeDDLs
WARNING: Got SQLException executing statement "ALTER TABLE MEMBERENTITY ADD CONSTRAINT MMBRNTITYgrpcolumn FOREIGN KEY (groupcolumn) REFERENCES GROUPENTITY (ID)": java.sql.SQLException: Constraint 'MMBRNTITYGRPCOLUMN' already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Oct 10, 2014 4:52:07 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/security-session-noauth-security-session-noauth.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 10, 2014 4:52:09 PM com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner index
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/admin-tools-admin-tools.war/WEB-INF/lib, is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Shutdown hook registered
Oct 10, 2014 4:52:09 PM org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.RunManager$1 startupComplete
WARNING: Error during initialization
org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.RunnerException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://openwonderland.tcd.ie:8080/wonderland-web-runner/services/checksums
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.BaseRunner.start(BaseRunner.java:244)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl.start(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:240)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.RunManager.doInit(RunManager.java:219)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.RunManager$1.startupComplete(RunManager.java:155)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.utils.AppServerMonitor.fireStartupComplete(AppServerMonitor.java:84)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.RunAppServer.<init>(RunAppServer.java:136)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.launcher.WebServerLauncher.main(WebServerLauncher.java:224)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://openwonderland.tcd.ie:8080/wonderland-web-runner/services/checksums
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1624)
        at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1037)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.BaseRunner.getServerChecksums(BaseRunner.java:513)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl.getServerChecksums(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:355)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.BaseRunner.checkForUpdates(BaseRunner.java:468)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.BaseRunner.deployFiles(BaseRunner.java:397)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl.deployFiles(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:269)
        at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.BaseRunner.start(BaseRunner.java:242)
        ... 11 more

Wonderland web server started successfully.
Log files are in /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/log
Web server running on http://openwonderland.tcd.ie:8080/

owl.png

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Oct 10, 2014, 12:17:55 PM10/10/14
to openwonderland
Hello,

Please attach your launch-openwonderland.sh and be sure after you shutdown the server that you cannot go to the tomcat page. That is there are no other server in your machine

Regards

Ric Moore

Oct 10, 2014, 3:57:16 PM10/10/14
On 10/10/2014 12:17 PM, Carlos Rafael Ramirez wrote:

> Regards
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Sean McGrath <seanc....@gmail.com
> <mailto:seanc....@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone.
>
> Firstly I'd like to apologise in advance for this post. I'm probably
> missing something basic. I've had a look online including in the
> forum but haven't found where I am going wrong yet.
>
> I have an Ubuntu server running Open WonerLand, the most recent
> stable release. I'm just setting up the server for an academic who
> will be using it for research so OWL is not my area of expertise
> unfortunately.
>
> When I start the application I get the output below which has some
> errors in it but also tells me that the web server has started
> successfully.
>
> When I browse to the WonderLand site I get the default Tomcat
> homepage, i.e. no WonderLand site is available. The screen shot
> attached is what I see.
>
> What incredibly basic thing have I missed that I am doing wrong?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Sean

I bet he didn't edit the my.run.properties and my.build.properties files
in his wonderland directory.

To the OP, you have to specify the ipaddress of your server in those
files. If you have correctly setup your host and domainname and they
properly point to your ipaddress you can use them, otherwise stick to
>static< IP addresses for the server to face the localnet or the world.
You can use wonderland as localhost, but the server and client will run
only on the local machine. If I recall correctly only the .4 version of
wonderland used tomcat. Some correct me if I recollect wrongly.

Then your browser has to know to use javaws for java network
applications. Use one of those java test web pages to check your browser
settings.

Plus, for awhile Ubuntu used a leaky version of the nVidia driver. Do
whatever it takes to install the newest version. I had to install the
driver using the nVidia "run" file until they finally updated the
driver. But that is if you successfully get to the wonderland client and
find no login. Enjoy! Ric

Linux user# 44256

Sean McGrath

Oct 23, 2014, 4:32:54 AM10/23/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Firstly, apologies for the delay in getting back about this, it has
been a busy time in work.

Also, my thanks to the posters who have responded so helpfully.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get this up and running yet and
am having another go now.

My failure to do so really is down to my lack of a basic understanding
of how WonderLand works. I have found a few guides online but nothing
that has solved my problems completely so if anyone could point me in
the correct direction that would be much appreciated.

@Ric

> I bet he didn't edit the my.run.properties and my.build.properties files in
> his wonderland directory.

Yep, your right there, I hadn't done that. I have now created the
following files:

owl@openwonderland:~/.wonderland-server/0.5$ cat
/home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/my.run.properties
# Default directories for deployment files
wonderland.config.dir=/home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5

wonderland.webserver.wfs.root=${wonderland.config.dir}/wfs
wonderland.webserver.modules.root=${wonderland.config.dir}/modules
wonderland.log.dir=${wonderland.config.dir}/log
wonderland.run.dir=${wonderland.config.dir}/run

# Whether or not to automatically start any configured apps (such as the
# Darkstar server) when the web server starts up
wonderland.runner.autostart=true

# Whether or not to shutdown any applications launched through the web
# UI when the web server exits
wonderland.runner.autostop=true

#The IP address of the web server
wonderland.webserver.host=134.226.14.32

#Enable persistence of the virtual world between server restarts
# None - the database is cleared on each restart
# Full - all state is persisted between restarts
wonderland.sgs.persistence=full

&

owl@openwonderland:~/.wonderland-server/0.5$ cat
/home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/my.build.properties
#
# my.build.properties.example
#
# Rename this file to 'my.build.properties' to change local properties
during the build.
# This file can be used to set the server, username and password to
use with 'ant deploy'.
#
# IMPORTANT SECURITY NOTE: if a password is set in this file, be sure
to set permissions
# so that other users do not have access to the file (eg 'chmod 400
my.build.properties
# on Unix).
#

# the url of the server to connect to
wonderland.web.url = http://openwonderland.tcd.ie:8080/

# the username to user when logging in to the server
wonderland.web.username = <snip>

# the password to use when logging in to the server
wonderland.web.password = <snip>

I am using the binary version and launch it as follows:

java -jar /home/owl/openwonderland/Wonderland.jar
/home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/my.run.properties

1) Is that the correct manner to launch the jar file and configuring
it to use the my.run.properties file?
2) How do I tell it to use the my.build.properties file? I have it in
the same directory as the my.run.properties file.

> To the OP, you have to specify the ipaddress of your server in those files.

Thanks, I have specified the IP address in the my.run.properties file
but don't see where it would be specified in the my.build.properties
file.

> If you have correctly setup your host and domainname and they properly point
> to your ipaddress you can use them, otherwise stick to >static< IP addresses
> for the server to face the localnet or the world.

This has been done, the server has been setup properly from that
perspective, it is accessible from our local network via its hostname.

@Carlos

> Hello,
>
> Please attach your launch-openwonderland.sh

Ummm, pardon my complete ignorance here but where do I find that?
Currently I try to launch and fail to do so using the following
method:

java -jar /home/owl/openwonderland/Wonderland.jar
/home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/my.run.properties

As mentioned above

> and be sure after you shutdown the server that you cannot go to the tomcat page. That is there are no other server in your machine

Hmm, If I stop tomcat:

root@openwonderland:~# /etc/init.d/tomcat6 stop
* Stopping Tomcat servlet engine tomcat6
...done.
root@openwonderland:~# /etc/init.d/tomcat6 status
* Tomcat servlet engine is not running.

Then try to launch wonderland, nothing works:

owl@openwonderland:~$ ./launch-openwonderland.sh
Oct 23, 2014 9:12:50 AM
org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.launcher.WebServerLauncher main
WARNING: Launching Open Wonderland version 0.5 rev. 4895 (1-September-2014)
Oct 23, 2014 9:12:50 AM
org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.launcher.WebServerLauncher
compareVersions
WARNING: Comparing versions. Jar file: 1409555531000 Directory: 1409555531000
Oct 23, 2014 9:12:55 AM
org.jdesktop.wonderland.common.utils.ScannedClassLoader createDB
WARNING: Scanned classes in 4463 ms.
Oct 23, 2014 9:12:57 AM com.sun.enterprise.security.ssl.SSLUtils
checkCertificateDates
SEVERE: java_security.expired_certificate
Oct 23, 2014 9:12:57 AM com.sun.enterprise.security.ssl.SSLUtils
checkCertificateDates
SEVERE: java_security.expired_certificate
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:00 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-checksums.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:03 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-wfs.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:04 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-help.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:05 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-modules.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:11 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-runner.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:11 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/deploy/wonderland-web-asset.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:12 AM
org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.service.ModuleManager redeployAll
WARNING: [MODULES] deploying 70 modules.
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:19 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/darkstar-darkstarserver.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:22 AM com.sun.enterprise.web.WebModule setI18nInfo
WARNING: webmodule.defaultLocaleDeprecated
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:35 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/error-report-error-report.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:41 AM
[...]
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:42 AM
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.container.config.AnnotatedClassScanner
WARNING: File, /home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/servermanager-servermanager-web.war/WEB-INF/lib,
is ignored, it not a directory, a jar file or a zip file
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:44 AM
org.glassfish.persistence.common.Java2DBProcessorHelper executeDDLs
WARNING: Got SQLException executing statement "CREATE TABLE
MEMBERENTITY (GROUPID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, MEMBERID VARCHAR(255) NOT
NULL, OWNER SMALLINT DEFAULT 0, groupcolumn VARCHAR(255), PRIMARY KEY
(GROUPID, MEMBERID))": java.sql.SQLE
xception: Table/View 'MEMBERENTITY' already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:44 AM
org.glassfish.persistence.common.Java2DBProcessorHelper executeDDLs
WARNING: Got SQLException executing statement "CREATE TABLE
GROUPENTITY (ID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (ID))":
java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'GROUPENTITY' already exists in
Schema 'APP'.
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:45 AM
[...]
[EL Info]: 2014-10-23
09:13:46.261--ServerSession(152454088)--EclipseLink, version: Eclipse
Persistence Services - 2.0.0.v20091127-r5931
[EL Info]: 2014-10-23
09:13:46.268--ServerSession(152454088)--file:/home/owl/.wonderland-server/0.5/run/webdeploy/security-groups-wonderland-security-groups-weblib.jar_WonderlandGroupPU
login successful
[EL Warning]: 2014-10-23
09:13:46.295--ServerSession(152454088)--Exception [EclipseLink-4002]
(Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.0.0.v20091127-r5931):
org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
Internal Exception: java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'MEMBERENTITY'
already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Error Code: 30000
Call: CREATE TABLE MEMBERENTITY (GROUPID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
MEMBERID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, OWNER SMALLINT DEFAULT 0, groupcolumn
VARCHAR(255), PRIMARY KEY (GROUPID, MEMBERID))
Query: DataModifyQuery(sql="CREATE TABLE MEMBERENTITY (GROUPID
VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, MEMBERID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, OWNER SMALLINT
DEFAULT 0, groupcolumn VARCHAR(255), PRIMARY KEY (GROUPID,
MEMBERID))")
[EL Warning]: 2014-10-23
09:13:46.31--ServerSession(152454088)--Exception [EclipseLink-4002]
(Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.0.0.v20091127-r5931):
org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
Internal Exception: java.sql.SQLException: Table/View 'GROUPENTITY'
already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Error Code: 30000
Call: CREATE TABLE GROUPENTITY (ID VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (ID))
Query: DataModifyQuery(sql="CREATE TABLE GROUPENTITY (ID VARCHAR(255)
NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (ID))")
[EL Warning]: 2014-10-23
09:13:46.368--ServerSession(152454088)--Exception [EclipseLink-4002]
(Eclipse Persistence Services - 2.0.0.v20091127-r5931):
org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
Internal Exception: java.sql.SQLException: Constraint
'MMBRNTITYGRPCOLUMN' already exists in Schema 'APP'.
Error Code: 30000
Call: ALTER TABLE MEMBERENTITY ADD CONSTRAINT MMBRNTITYgrpcolumn
FOREIGN KEY (groupcolumn) REFERENCES GROUPENTITY (ID)
Query: DataModifyQuery(sql="ALTER TABLE MEMBERENTITY ADD CONSTRAINT
MMBRNTITYgrpcolumn FOREIGN KEY (groupcolumn) REFERENCES GROUPENTITY
(ID)")
Oct 23, 2014 9:13:46 AM
org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.launcher.WebServerLauncher main
SEVERE: Error loading web server
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No such type: full
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl$PersistenceType.parsePersistenceType(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:119)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl.getPersistenceType(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:708)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl.checkColdstart(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:411)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl.setDarkstarProperties(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:324)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl.deployFiles(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:272)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.BaseRunner.start(BaseRunner.java:242)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.modules.darkstar.server.DarkstarRunnerImpl.start(DarkstarRunnerImpl.java:240)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.RunManager.doInit(RunManager.java:219)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.runner.RunManager$1.startupComplete(RunManager.java:155)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.utils.AppServerMonitor.fireStartupComplete(AppServerMonitor.java:84)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.RunAppServer.<init>(RunAppServer.java:136)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
at org.jdesktop.wonderland.webserver.launcher.WebServerLauncher.main(WebServerLauncher.java:224)

Error java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No such type: full starting web server
[...]
[RunManager] Stopping all apps

Jos Flores

Oct 23, 2014, 8:29:51 AM10/23/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com

Seems like darkstar and the admin site are not running.
I haven't used owl in years but has it been changed from glassfish to tomcat?
I'd make sure you don't have additional services running in the machine.
I'd also try and get it running locally (local ip address) before trying a fully qualified network name... Do you have a real network redirect for the domain you are trying to set up? You seem to be using both ip address and sub domain in your scripts.

Sean McGrath

Oct 23, 2014, 9:15:15 AM10/23/14
to openwonderland
Thanks for your reply Jos

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Jos Flores <josmas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like darkstar and the admin site are not running.

That is part of it alright, the admin sight definitely isn't running.
Is there a way to start dakstar manually?

> I haven't used owl in years but has it been changed from glassfish to
> tomcat?

That is a good question. It could be the config in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
that installs Tomcat as part of the JDK installation. Is that
possible?

> I'd make sure you don't have additional services running in the machine.

This machine is dedicated to running Wonderland and there's nothing
else running on it.

> I'd also try and get it running locally (local ip address) before trying a
> fully qualified network name...

It's not working on either the IP address or the domain name. Both
give the same results, the default tomcat page being loaded and
nothing else.

>Do you have a real network redirect for the
> domain you are trying to set up?

What do you mean by "real network redirect"? The DNS for
openwonderland.tcd.ie is properly setup:

[root@lonsdale01 ~]# dig openwonderland.tcd.ie

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.23.rc1.el6_5.1 <<>> openwonderland.tcd.ie
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;openwonderland.tcd.ie. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
openwonderland.tcd.ie. 5700 IN A 134.226.14.32

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
tcd.ie. 50806 IN NS int-ns1.tcd.ie.
tcd.ie. 50806 IN NS int-ns2.tcd.ie.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
int-ns1.tcd.ie. 50806 IN A 134.226.251.108
int-ns2.tcd.ie. 50806 IN A 134.226.251.109

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Oct 23 14:12:33 2014
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 131

> You seem to be using both ip address and
> sub domain in your scripts.

I copied some template my.$.build files and added in the IP address or
FQDN as appropriate as per the template.

Anymore suggestions would be very much appreciated from anyone. Many thanks.

Sean

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Oct 23, 2014, 9:33:43 AM10/23/14
to openwonderland
Hello Sean,

I just asked about the launch-openwonderland.sh because you mentioned it in your email. I figure out the content of this file is:

java -jar /home/owl/openwonderland/Wonderland.jar

Just try it as:

/etc/init.d/tomcat6 stop
mv /home/owl/.wonderland-server /home/owl/.wonderland-server-bak

java  -Dwonderland.webserver.port=8082 -Dwonderland.webserver.host=134.226.14.32 -Dwonderland.webserver.host.internal=localhost   -jar /home/owl/openwonderland/Wonderland.jar

Regards

Sean McGrath

Oct 23, 2014, 11:54:38 AM10/23/14
to openwonderland
Some success, thanks very much Carlos, your being very helpful and it
is most appreciated.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Carlos Rafael Ramirez
<crra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Sean,
>
> I just asked about the launch-openwonderland.sh because you mentioned it in
> your email. I figure out the content of this file is:
>
> java -jar /home/owl/openwonderland/Wonderland.jar
>
> Just try it as:
>
> /etc/init.d/tomcat6 stop
> mv /home/owl/.wonderland-server /home/owl/.wonderland-server-bak
>
> java -Dwonderland.webserver.port=8082
> -Dwonderland.webserver.host=134.226.14.32
> -Dwonderland.webserver.host.internal=localhost -jar
> /home/owl/openwonderland/Wonderland.jar

OK, great, that worked, thanks very much.

I can even change the port to 8080 and the server is available.

What had I done wrong that those values in the my.build.properties
weren't being picked up?

Also, can anyone advise how I can set a username and password for the
web admin login as you would normally do via the my.run.properties
file? can that be supplied as an argument to the java launcher too?

Thanks and regards

Sean

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Oct 23, 2014, 12:26:40 PM10/23/14
to openwonderland
It is just preferences. I like to specify the parameters as command line ones and keep my.build.properties as default. Probably Ric use this file because he prefers always compile form source.

Regards

Ric Moore

Oct 25, 2014, 12:32:44 AM10/25/14
On 10/23/2014 12:26 PM, Carlos Rafael Ramirez wrote:
> It is just preferences. I like to specify the parameters as command line
> ones and keep my.build.properties as default. Probably Ric use this file
> because he prefers always compile form source.

You bet! I didn't consider that he might be using a pre-built binary.
All Hail The Nightly Source! :) Ric

Sean McGrath

Oct 31, 2014, 11:17:52 AM10/31/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hello again everyone and thanks for all your help.

With it I have managed to get something up and running. While it is not 100% there yet as I am waiting for some firewall modifications to be made I'm hopeful that the system will be ready to be properly used by the end users soon. This is only because you hvae been kind enough to assist me with the questions I have had.

My next one is how do I set Open Wonderland to start automatically on system boot? Is there a mechanism within wonderland to do so or should I just write an init script?

Thanks

Sean

Nicole Yankelovich

Oct 31, 2014, 8:34:09 PM10/31/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

Glad to hear you're making good progress!

My next one is how do I set Open Wonderland to start automatically on system boot? Is there a mechanism within wonderland to do so or should I just write an init script?
There is no mechanism in Wonderland to do this, so I think you'll need to write a script.

Nicole.

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Oct 31, 2014, 8:46:46 PM10/31/14
to openwonderland
Hello Sean,

Just call the java from a script in init.d and do a killall java for shutdown. Here some information.

Regards

Sean McGrath

Dec 10, 2014, 10:17:57 AM12/10/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Once again I am bugging you very nice people for what is probably a rtm question so my apologies in advance and once again I am very grateful to you all for all your help in getting this up and running. Because of it we have the server pretty much deployed for a research effort.

The next thing I am asking about is the possibility of using a SSL/TLS certificate to sign the java application or however that works. Perhaps I am missing something here. Currently when a user tries to launch the app they get an error that the application is from unknown vendors and prompting them to allow it to run. If you have a certificate is it possible to sign the app or use that certificate to prevent this prompt coming up to users when they try to launch the world?

Nicole Yankelovich

Dec 10, 2014, 11:25:25 AM12/10/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com