Alternative to Oracle Java

Carlos Rafael Ramirez

Jan 28, 2019, 12:36:33 PM1/28/19
to openwonderland
Hello,

As you may now jdk8u202 was the last public Java 8 for organizations, and the latest for individuals will be sometime in 2020. Java 8 is the latest Java version supported for Open Wonderland and the latests LTS one to support Java Web Start.

There are alternatives with OpenJDK, but I only found one build for Windows which supports Java Web Start which is the one from RedHat. They will give support on Java 8 until 2023.

You must download the MSI build which includes Java Web Start:

You must register as Red Hat developer which is free to be able to download the file.

I tested it and it works.

We have the advantage with this distribution that it is not so strict with the certificates.

Regards