Unable to launch application

JNGF

Jul 1, 2014, 5:50:39 AM7/1/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  For some reason I'm getting the 'Unable to launch application' dialog when I try to log into an Openwonderland client,
(using aan HP Pavilion Intel Core i5 laptop which is also running as my OWL server)  can anyone help?

Here are details of the error (and I've also attached screenshots).

Error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodErroe:
       com.sun.sceanrio.Settings.addPropertyChange Listnener(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/beans/PropertyChangeListener;)V

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.sun.scenario.Settings.addPropertyChangeListener(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/beans/PropertyChangeListener;)V
 at com.sun.scenario.animation.MasterTimer.<clinit>(MasterTimer.java:114)
 at com.sun.scenario.animation.Animation.start(Animation.java:63)
 at com.sun.scenario.animation.Clip.start(Clip.java:718)
 at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.<init>(JmeClientMain.java:217)
 at org.jdesktop.wonderland.client.jme.JmeClientMain.main(JmeClientMain.java:649)
 at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks in advance
jngf
Application Error screenshot 1.jpg
Application Error screenshot 2.jpg

Abhishek Upadhyay

Jul 1, 2014, 6:51:06 AM7/1/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Update the code from the SVN and then check.

Regards,
Abhishek Upadhyay.

JNGF

Jul 1, 2014, 12:26:33 PM7/1/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abhishek,
  Thanks for getting back to me about this. I'm using the binary version of Open Wonderland.

Please would explain in further detail how to go about updating the code from the SVN as this is something I've not done before?

Kind Regards

JNGF

Ric Moore

Jul 1, 2014, 3:59:59 PM7/1/14
On 07/01/2014 12:26 PM, JNGF wrote:
> Hi Abhishek,
> Thanks for getting back to me about this. I'm using the binary
> version of Open Wonderland.
>
> Please would explain in further detail how to go about updating the code
> from the SVN as this is something I've not done before?

In your base wonderland directory there are two files that end in
.example. Edit them both and save them minus the .example. It's all in
the README-build.txt file, which I assume is present in the binary
package as well. Keep in mind about ALL binaries is that they are
compiled for the lowest common denominator, which could include i396.
Use the source, Luke, if at all possible.

Install Oracle Java JDK, ant and subversion.
Open a terminal window

Create a src/ subdirectory off of your user directory.
cd into src/
Create a trunk/directory off of the new src/ directory.
cd into trunk/

Type (copy/paste) this into trunk/ from a terminal window command line
and run these commands:

svn checkout https://openwonderland.googlecode.com/svn/trunk wonderland

svn checkout https://openwonderland-modules.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/0.5
wonderland-modules

svn checkout https://openwonderland-video.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
wonderland-video

You'll see three new directories.

cd into wonderland/ and do the edits I mentioned to the two files.

If you do not have networking setup use URL.hostname
http://localhost:8080 and wonderland.webserver,host=address 127.0.0.1
(remove the hash mark to uncomment out the default use)

Then, while in the wonderland directory, type:
ant
and when that is done type:
ant run-server

That's it! When you see the announce that webhost localhost is running
on 8080 then open your browser and point it to 127.0.0.1:8080

One caveat though. If you are running Windows, and have spaces in your
directory tree like "/my user' well MicroSoft being the supreme idiots
that they are, provides spaces in directory names ~by default~ as at one
point they thought they could cleverly control the server market, which
they later didn't.

Spaces in file and directory names is a MicroSoft invention which
doesn't fly on the net. Especially with other OS's that run the
Internet. Java doesn't seem to like it either. So, try to keep your
install directory tree free of spaces in directory/filenames. It's just
good accepted practices for servers. Ric

Nicole Yankelovich

Jul 1, 2014, 4:31:06 PM7/1/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Abhishek,

Do you know if the nightly builds have stopped working? New binaries
should be generated regularly. If the automatic builds are not working,
can you generate a new binary manually?

Thanks,
Nicole.

JNGF

Jul 2, 2014, 6:47:19 PM7/2/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rickey,
   Thank you Kindly for this detailed answer I will try it out and post how I get on!

much appreciated

jngf

Ric Moore

Jul 2, 2014, 6:56:08 PM7/2/14
On 07/02/2014 06:47 PM, JNGF wrote:
> Hi Rickey,
> Thank you Kindly for this detailed answer I will try it out and post
> how I get on!

That works for me, using Debian or Ubuntu Linux. That should work just
the same on any other OS since the tools are pretty much cross-platform
and all work alike. Good LUCK! :) Ric

JNGF

Jul 8, 2014, 4:26:22 PM7/8/14
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ric,

    Managed to get Open Wonderland up and running using source version (as per your instructions! - I've attached some screenshots showing a drama project I'm working on.)

I found that I did have to comment out the following lines in   C:\openwonderland\src\wonderland\trunk\wonderland\build.xml associated with Wonderland video to get OWL up and running:

<!-- if wonderland-video exists and is a sibling of wonderland, build
         it too -->
   <!-- <if>
        <available file="${wonderland.dir}/../wonderland-video/build.xml"/>
        <then>
            <ant dir="${wonderland.dir}/../wonderland-video" inheritall="false"/>
        </then>
    </if> -->

and I couldn't get any recent OWL binary installs to work for me,

Cheers

JNGF
Openwonderland_Stage_View1.jpg
Openwonderland_Stage_View2.jpg

Ric Moore

Jul 8, 2014, 5:04:38 PM7/8/14
On 07/08/2014 04:26 PM, JNGF wrote:
> Hi Ric,
>
> Managed to get Open Wonderland up and running using source version
> (as per your instructions! - I've attached some screenshots showing a
> drama project I'm working on.)

Wow! You did good! Nice screenshots! Glad to have been of help and
thanks for the wonderland-video heads up.

For future reference, all binary builds are compiled for the lowest
common denominator hardware-wise. If you have extra resource goodies
that could possibly be used, then compiling the source will ~usually~
enable them. Back in the day when I had to compile my own Linux kernel
on my old 486, the speed gain was quite noticeable! Now, I am lazy,
except when it comes to server stuff. Again, you did good! :) Ric