All-moving control surfaces

Ethan Foo

Dec 7, 2020, 4:45:50 AM12/7/20
to OpenVSP

Hi all,

Apologies for the beginner question. How might you configure the
wing sub-assembly as an all-moving surface around the 1/4 chord? I cant find a way to shift the hinge position.

Thanks!

C P

Dec 7, 2020, 6:02:00 AM12/7/20
to OpenVSP
Hi,

one way could be in Xform Tab, go to Rot Origin (X) and insert the quarter of chord coordinate. Now the rotation around Y axis will be around this new reference point

Corrado

Ethan Foo

Dec 7, 2020, 6:05:58 AM12/7/20
to OpenVSP
Hi Corrado,

Thanks for the quick reply. Would this method only apply to the x,y,z rotations under XFORM tab, or would this also apply to the settings in the Sub tab?

Thanks!

Rob McDonald

Dec 7, 2020, 11:39:44 AM12/7/20
to ope...@googlegroups.com
You might want to watch one of the videos on the hinge component.  The slides are here.

If you're talking about doing this for VSPAERO, then the control surface SubSurface is probably not what you want.  I would recommend setting up the model with the hinge as above and re-positioning the surface between runs.

The Subsurface control surface is set up for simple plain flap type surfaces with the hinge line at the surface LE.  You could make a surface encompass 100% of a wing, but the hinge line would be in the wrong place for your case.

Rob

Ethan Foo

Dec 8, 2020, 1:00:23 AM12/8/20
to OpenVSP