Docker container churn and OpenTSDB

Timothy Ehlers

Nov 18, 2016, 4:59:09 PM11/18/16
to OpenTSDB
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody has been using OpenTSDB where you have thousands of docker containers change per day. Would thousands of new hostname tags every few days cause a problem over time?

Jonathan Creasy

Nov 18, 2016, 5:43:55 PM11/18/16
to Timothy Ehlers, OpenTSDB
Well, it should be fine. One thing I do is for containers that are the same container, just sometimes restarted, I have been setting the hostname in the container to the host's hostname - the container name. So container "test" running on host "node1001" would be "node1001-test".

This way metrics from every incarnation of the "test" container on "node1001" would be tagged the same, but there won't be duplicates.

-Jonathan

ManOLamancha

Dec 20, 2016, 4:17:45 PM12/20/16
to OpenTSDB
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 1:59:09 PM UTC-8, Timothy Ehlers wrote:
I was wondering if anybody has been using OpenTSDB where you have thousands of docker containers change per day. Would thousands of new hostname tags every few days cause a problem over time?

Make sure to use 2.2 or later and set "tsd.storage.uid.width.tagv" to 5 or 6 and you should be able to handle all those docker tags