Do I need as many salt buckets as I have regions?

John Humphreys

Nov 14, 2017, 10:28:02 AM11/14/17
to OpenTSDB
Do I need as many salt buckets as I have regions?

My table has ~300 regions but I only have 16 salt buckets.  Does this mean I'm only using 16 of the regions for writes now?

Or will each metric/tag pair end up on a random 16/300 of the regions?

ManOLamancha

Jan 29, 2018, 8:50:30 PM1/29/18
to OpenTSDB
You generally want a smallish number of buckets as each query has create that number of scanners. e.g. if you have 16 buckets, you'll create 16 scanners for every metric in the query.

If you have 300 regions, then depending on how you split them originally, you should be able to write to all 300. E.g. you want to split the regions evenly on keys starting from "\x00" to "\x0F". It's also good to turn on random metric UID assignments for even better distribution.