Regarding opentsdb-rpc-kafka Unable to deserialize data error

sjmi...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2017, 6:04:42 AM8/2/17
to OpenTSDB
Hi,
I am trying out the opentsdb-rpc-kafka inside OpenTSDB.

However when this plugin tries to pull data from a kafka topic and try to insert into OpenTSDB it gets into following error:

KafkaRpcPluginThread: Unable to deserialize data java.lang.TypeNotPresentException: Type [unknown] not present

And my message in topic is

{"type":"Metric","metric":"fname.metric","tags":{"key1":"A2","key2":"B1"},"timestamp":1501079516693,"value":1755.0}

Message seems to be in proper format.

From the code it seems error may be coming from:

https://github.com/OpenTSDB/opentsdb-rpc-kafka/blob/master/src/main/java/net/opentsdb/tsd/KafkaRpcPluginThread.java#L281

TypedIncomingData.class is an interface and is the issue that while deserializing json it is not getting proper class type to instantiate?

Any idea what maybe going wrong?

Thanks

Sachin

ManOLamancha

Aug 11, 2017, 3:30:48 PM8/11/17
to OpenTSDB
Hmm, that's odd. Can you try logging the raw message just before line 281 to make sure it's in the proper format? Maybe the Kafka message is compressed?

Sachin Mittal

Aug 12, 2017, 3:21:24 AM8/12/17
to ManOLamancha, OpenTSDB
This is resolved now. Actually underlying issue was different version on opentsdb jar being expected by the plugin.

So I think right now development is happening on both versions 2.4 and 3.0.
3.0 may be released by end of this year, how soon are we planning release of 2.4?

Thanks
Sachin

ManOLamancha

Aug 14, 2017, 3:24:55 PM8/14/17
to OpenTSDB, clars...@gmail.com
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 12:21:24 AM UTC-7, Sachin Mittal wrote:
This is resolved now. Actually underlying issue was different version on opentsdb jar being expected by the plugin.

So I think right now development is happening on both versions 2.4 and 3.0.
3.0 may be released by end of this year, how soon are we planning release of 2.4?

A few more patches I want to get into 2.4 before RC2, then let it back a few weeks and release so hopefully mid Sept or so.

anna Kepler

Feb 16, 2018, 11:32:13 AM2/16/18
to OpenTSDB
Is there an update on when 2.4 and 3.0 will be released?

ManOLamancha

May 22, 2018, 1:30:00 PM5/22/18
to OpenTSDB
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 8:32:13 AM UTC-8, anna Kepler wrote:
Is there an update on when 2.4 and 3.0 will be released?

2.4 is finally settling in after a looong wait. Just two more PRs to review and merge and I hope to have it out in a few weeks. 3.0 is still a ways off, tons of work going on there.