Multiple Metric Spaces On One HBase Instance

Horse Radish

Jan 18, 2017, 2:06:02 PM1/18/17
to OpenTSDB
Current state:

- Single HBase instance
- Single OpenTSDB instance
- Multiple metrics sources writing into a single set of tsdb tables in the default namespace

Desired state

- Single HBase instance
- Different metrics sources writing to different tsdb tables in separate namespaces
- Different Grafana dashboards for each namespace/table set

Questions

- Can a single OpenTSDB instance view multiple namespace:table sets?  If so, how?
- If we need to run multiple OpenTSDB instances, can one of them run on a host that is not part of the HBase cluster?  That is, can OpenTSDB be installed on an abitrary host and "pointed" at the HBase instance/namespace of interest?  If so, how?

Many thanks...

Jonathan Creasy

Jan 18, 2017, 2:24:34 PM1/18/17
to Horse Radish, OpenTSDB
A single OpenTSDB instance cannot interact with multiple tables, the closest thing you could do is trying to enforce a tag on all data. This would most certainly end in tears.

You can have multiple TSDB instances, each pointing to different tables.

You can run TSD instances anywhere, they just have to be able to communicate with the cluster. You just configure the Zookeeper Quorum and as long as OpenTSDB can communicate with the Zookeeper nodes and the HBase nodes, it will work fine.

I have run multiple TSD instances on a host using multiple docker containers. You could use Nginx to send different sub-domains, or paths to different backend ports. So Nginx on a host, 10x docker containers pointing to 10x hbase tables.

You could do it without containers of course.

Horse Radish

Jan 18, 2017, 2:26:17 PM1/18/17
to Jonathan Creasy, OpenTSDB
On 01/18/2017 01:24 PM, Jonathan Creasy wrote:
> A single OpenTSDB instance cannot interact with multiple tables, the closest thing you could do is trying to enforce a tag on all data. This would most certainly end in tears.
>
> You can have multiple TSDB instances, each pointing to different tables.
>
> You can run TSD instances anywhere, they just have to be able to communicate with the cluster. You just configure the Zookeeper Quorum and as long as OpenTSDB can communicate with the Zookeeper nodes and the HBase nodes, it will work fine.
>
> I have run multiple TSD instances on a host using multiple docker containers. You could use Nginx to send different sub-domains, or paths to different backend ports. So Nginx on a host, 10x docker containers pointing to 10x hbase tables.
>
> You could do it without containers of course.

Perfect, thanks so much.