Using '/api/stats" endpoint for heath checking in WO mode

Fábio Uechi

Sep 1, 2017, 9:57:04 AM9/1/17
to OpenTSDB, Fábio Uechi
Hi,

I'm running OpenTSDB 2.3.0 instances on Kubernetes (Google Container Engine)  and Bigtable.
I was using the "/api/stats" endpoint for health checking (liveness and readiness probes) as suggested in the docs.
However when I switch to WO mode containers cannot start. The endpoint seems to be unreacheable.
Is that an expected behavior ? If so, do you recommend a different endpoint for this purpose ?

Thanks in advance
Fábio

Fábio Uechi

Sep 1, 2017, 12:54:23 PM9/1/17
to OpenTSDB, fue...@ciandt.com
Just found the answer here: https://github.com/OpenTSDB/opentsdb/blob/master/src/tsd/RpcManager.java#L252
In WO mode only "/api/put" (telnet and http) is enabled.
Any ideas on how could I use it for health checking ?
Maybe sending the same data point for a "healthcheck" metric over and over?

ManOLamancha

Sep 5, 2017, 3:19:56 PM9/5/17
to OpenTSDB, fue...@ciandt.com
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 9:54:23 AM UTC-7, Fábio Uechi wrote:
Just found the answer here: https://github.com/OpenTSDB/opentsdb/blob/master/src/tsd/RpcManager.java#L252
In WO mode only "/api/put" (telnet and http) is enabled.
Any ideas on how could I use it for health checking ?
Maybe sending the same data point for a "healthcheck" metric over and over?

Hmm, we should definitely allow the other endpoints in WO mode. Mind filing a Github issue for this please and I'll patch it in 2.3.1? Thanks!

Fábio Uechi

Sep 5, 2017, 8:56:49 PM9/5/17
to OpenTSDB, fue...@ciandt.com