starting service at boot time

Peter Speybrouck

Aug 9, 2013, 6:00:19 PM8/9/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have used these tutorials a few times to successfully install hadoop and hbase on a test machine with debian wheezy.

http://www.michael-noll.com/tutorials/running-hadoop-on-ubuntu-linux-single-node-cluster/
http://whyjava.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/installing-hbase-over-hdfs-on-a-single-ubuntu-box/

Howver, one thing that is lacking from these tutorials is starting hadoop and hbase (and eventually opentsdb as well) as a service on startup.
There are no init.d scripts included in these tutorials.

I did find some examples elsewhere, but I have trouble starting the service at the right moment (should start after ssh for example).

How are you guys starting the hadoop/hbase/opentsdb automatically to prevent any manual actions after rebooting the server?
Any init.d scripts available somewhere?

I know this is not really an opentsdb question, but I am hoping some people here might have a good answer :-)

Peter

bernd

Aug 10, 2013, 2:23:40 PM8/10/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
hi,

for hbase/hadoop cluster stuff we use the free cloudera distribution.
easy to install, monitor and maintain over a web interface.
works perfekt for us, no problems so far.

regards
bernd

ManOLamancha

Aug 12, 2013, 10:47:21 AM8/12/13
to open...@googlegroups.com

Am Samstag, 10. August 2013 00:00:19 UTC+2 schrieb Peter Speybrouck:

How are you guys starting the hadoop/hbase/opentsdb automatically to prevent any manual actions after rebooting the server?
Any init.d scripts available somewhere?

I use Cloudera's distro too, very stable and easy. And you probably saw the init script in the /build-aux/deb/init.d directory that you can use for OpenTSDB.

Peter Speybrouck

Aug 12, 2013, 3:11:41 PM8/12/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, I found the init script for openTsdb.
Though since I saw other people mentioning debian, I was hoping for a debian solution for hadoop/hbase as well :-)

ManOLamancha

Aug 13, 2013, 11:18:03 AM8/13/13
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, August 12, 2013 3:11:41 PM UTC-4, Peter Speybrouck wrote:
Indeed, I found the init script for openTsdb.
Though since I saw other people mentioning debian, I was hoping for a debian solution for hadoop/hbase as well :-)

Cloudera's Debian packages work great for the Hadoop and HBase stuff. Their spiffy GUI manager only runs under CentOS I believe, but the important stuff can be installed on Debian.

Erol Merdanović

Oct 8, 2014, 3:06:08 PM10/8/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for reviving the old post, but can you please more info how to actually use startup script? I'm using ubuntu 12.04, opentsdb is installed as package and has a service. But opentsdb does not start at startup.

I tried adding service to startup with command

sudo update-rc.d opentsdb defaults (source: http://askubuntu.com/a/9388/150688)

but I got error

System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/opentsdb already exist.

Another problem is that when I run

service opentsdb status

I get response running. But it's clearly not running. After I manually start it with

service opentsdb start

everything works, but status now returns not running (but clearly it is).

Any ideas? I'm using it on fresh installed ubuntu 12.04, running latest opentsdb (branch next).

ManOLamancha

Oct 14, 2014, 12:51:07 AM10/14/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:06:08 PM UTC-7, Erol Merdanović wrote:
I apologize for reviving the old post, but can you please more info how to actually use startup script? I'm using ubuntu 12.04, opentsdb is installed as package and has a service. But opentsdb does not start at startup.

I tried adding service to startup with command

sudo update-rc.d opentsdb defaults (source: http://askubuntu.com/a/9388/150688)

but I got error

System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/opentsdb already exist.

Another problem is that when I run

service opentsdb status

I get response running. But it's clearly not running. After I manually start it with

service opentsdb start

everything works, but status now returns not running (but clearly it is).

Any ideas? I'm using it on fresh installed ubuntu 12.04, running latest opentsdb (branch next).

No problem, are there any lines written to the opentsdb log file after boot up? And is it co-located on the same machine as an HBase master? If HBase takes some time to come up it could prevent OpenTSDB from starting.

Erol Merdanović

Oct 30, 2014, 9:18:11 AM10/30/14
to open...@googlegroups.com
Yes, actually I solved this by adding sleep 15 to opentsdb startup script. Seems to do the trick.

Mahmoud Abouzeid

Aug 25, 2016, 10:06:37 PM8/25/16
to OpenTSDB
Hi ,

I am new to openTSDB & linux , I did add sleep to be 15 instead of 1 in the startup script.

Also I ran this command "sudo update-rc.d minidlna enable "

I am using a stand-alone VM.

Finally, I have a question, how to automatically run HBase "./bin/start-hbase.sh"

Mahmoud