repeated "passthrough->passthrough..." when trying to access a metric using /api/query

casey.d...@teamaol.com

Oct 14, 2016, 8:45:19 AM10/14/16
to OpenTSDB
at some point recently we have started to get this error when using the api/query endpoint to retrieve metrics that we were previously able to retrieve.

"...passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough -> passthrough) (size=16383) when attempting to add cb=net.opentsdb.tsd.HttpJsonSerializer$1DPsResolver@596b326c@1500197484, eb=passthrough@97095169"

Some things to note:

1. tags for the metric were recently changed both number of tags(7 down to 3), and the tag keys themselves(one name was a tag key already in the system, two others are new)
2. We started adding a huge number of unique metrics with high cardinality to the system.
3. the older metric has a very low cardinality and is only distinguishable to a host for example by adding specific host identifiable tags
4. the new high cardinality metrics are able to be retrieved, and are retrieved much quicker in comparison to the time the original metrics were.
5. tsd compaction was turned off, due to its killing our ability to query for metrics at the hour, and we felt the splicer bridge in between could help to alleviate the need for compaction.

Any help in tracking this down would be greatly appreciated

casey.d...@teamaol.com

Oct 14, 2016, 9:22:34 AM10/14/16
to OpenTSDB
added info this is the start of the error:

13:17:21.429 ERROR [RegionClient.exceptionCaught] - Unexpected exception from downstream on [id:
com.stumbleupon.async.CallbackOverflowError: Too many callbacks in Deferred@1358298081(state=PEN
DING, result=null, callback=net.opentsdb.tsd.HttpJsonSerializer$1DPsResolver@6fce7e91 -> net.ope
ntsdb.tsd.HttpJsonSerializer$1DPsResolver@57b83df1 -> net.opentsdb.tsd.HttpJsonSerializer$1DPsRe
solver@e1026c -> net.opentsdb.tsd.HttpJsonSerializer$1DPsResolver@7f34db62 -> net.opentsdb.tsd.H
ttpJsonSerializer$1DPsResolver@631208e3 -> net.opentsdb.tsd.HttpJsonSerializer$1DPsResolver@75d3
f6c5 -> net.opentsdb.tsd.HttpJsonSerializer$1DPsResolver@7d296871 -> ...

casey.d...@teamaol.com

Oct 14, 2016, 11:37:44 AM10/14/16
to OpenTSDB
Even more info: it appears to be related to a specific tag, there are 3 tags, so if my query contains no tags - ok, tag1 ok, tag2 ok, but tag3 - this error

ManOLamancha

Dec 19, 2016, 9:09:55 PM12/19/16
to OpenTSDB
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:37:44 AM UTC-7, casey.d...@teamaol.com wrote:
Even more info: it appears to be related to a specific tag, there are 3 tags, so if my query contains no tags - ok, tag1 ok, tag2 ok, but tag3 - this error

Yeah, this is an ugly issue we don't have a great fix for. It happens when you have a REALLY high cardinality tag (e.g. 1,000s of values for a specific tag key). We have a couple of potential options that will help in 2.4

Java Enthu

May 9, 2017, 1:17:06 PM5/9/17
to OpenTSDB
Hi ManOLama,

When can I expect a fix for this problem?  My project is really struggling with this problem.

Also, can you please let me know the next release dates (2.4, 3 etc)

Thanks,
Gopi

ManOLamancha

May 27, 2017, 6:00:52 PM5/27/17
to OpenTSDB
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:17:06 AM UTC-7, Java Enthu wrote:
Hi ManOLama,

When can I expect a fix for this problem?  My project is really struggling with this problem.

Also, can you please let me know the next release dates (2.4, 3 etc)

We have some multi-get code in there, just have to fix it up for the UID resolution. I'll try and get a fix in this weekend. 2.4 is still a ways out, it'll be after HBase con and 3.0 is much further out still.