UIDs vs RAM? OOM

John Humphreys

Sep 8, 2017, 10:17:11 AM9/8/17
to OpenTSDB
I was trying to create ~150-million metrics (pushing host to metric, lots of hosts and metrics).

I started getting heap exceptions in OpenTSDB.  I'm only using it to create metrics via the API currently, I'm not throwing any data at it.

I started getting OOM / Out Of Memory errors in OpenTSDB.  Does the OpenTSDB implementation require keeping all UIDs in memory at the same time which would cause me to run out of heap? I would have assumed it was an LRU cache or something like that.

ManOLamancha

Jan 29, 2018, 8:21:44 PM1/29/18
to OpenTSDB

Unfortunately right now we only have a full cache. The "next" branch now has an LRU that you can enable via config: https://github.com/OpenTSDB/opentsdb/blob/next/src/utils/Config.java#L593-L596