Events based on OpenTSDB data (real time and trends)

lleto

Aug 18, 2012, 8:18:40 AM8/18/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
I recently got involved in a large scale monitoring effort. We have a lot of off-site data devices delivering metrics to a centralized server. The metrics are perfectly suited for a time series database, so I've started a test with OpenTSDB. This is all running fine, however I have some questions on the surrounding infrastructure.

Is anyone here also using the data in OpenTSDB for historical trending and alerting based on a push model? I would like to more or less constantly monitor the data and alert users of certain trends in the data. There will be lots of separate environments with lots of users, so ideally the monitoring would be adjustable per user. It seems that Esper could do things like that and I saw some efforts to pipe data through Esper into OpenTSDB. My initial feeling it that this could work, but then mainly for real time processing of new data.

I also found this project on GitHub : "Esperio-OpenTSDB is an EpesrIO adapter for OpenTSDB time series database. It enables connecting Esper complex event processing engine to the open source OpenTSDB time series database". Is anybody familiar with it or using it?

Other recommendations are welcome as well.

Thanks,

Lleto

OG

Aug 22, 2012, 8:56:43 PM8/22/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lleto,

We don't use OpenTSDB, but something similar for our Performance Monitoring service (see sig) and we indeed uses Esper for alerts.  In our case Esper runs as a Flume agent, so that's one way to design this.

Otis

lleto

Aug 30, 2012, 9:54:10 AM8/30/12
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Otis,

thanks for that. I'm looking into different options and Esper will be one of them.

lleto