best way to get the datetime when a datapoint was written into opentsdb

Huafeng Lyu

May 24, 2017, 9:01:18 PM5/24/17
to OpenTSDB
Hi,

I need to get the datetimes when a set of datapoints were written into opentsdb. Note, not the timestamps of these datapoints, but the timestamps when they were written into opentsdb.
Seems opentsdb itself doesn't have direct method.
Anyone can help? Thanks.

--huafeng

Jonathan Creasy

May 24, 2017, 9:19:10 PM5/24/17
to Huafeng Lyu, OpenTSDB
I'm not sure how you would do that really. Maybe you can explain more about what you want to accomplish and we can help work out a solution?

Huafeng Lu

May 24, 2017, 10:51:28 PM5/24/17
to Jonathan Creasy, OpenTSDB
Actually I want to get the delay between the datapoint collecting time (usually the timestamp of the datapoint) and the datapoint reporting time (when the datapoint was written into opentsdb).
For example, I'm monitoring the cpu usage of a host. I checked at 10:48:00 and got 50%, so the datapoint would be something like "cpu.usage <10:48:00> 50%", but for some reason the agent reported the datapoint to opentsdb at 10:48:30, so there's a delay of 30 seconds. I'd like to get this delay.
I guess I can check hbase directly, but would like to get advice from this group first.
Any tips? Thanks.

ManOLamancha

May 27, 2017, 6:24:08 PM5/27/17
to OpenTSDB, jona...@ghostlab.net
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 7:51:28 PM UTC-7, Huafeng Lyu wrote:
Actually I want to get the delay between the datapoint collecting time (usually the timestamp of the datapoint) and the datapoint reporting time (when the datapoint was written into opentsdb).
For example, I'm monitoring the cpu usage of a host. I checked at 10:48:00 and got 50%, so the datapoint would be something like "cpu.usage <10:48:00> 50%", but for some reason the agent reported the datapoint to opentsdb at 10:48:30, so there's a delay of 30 seconds. I'd like to get this delay.
I guess I can check hbase directly, but would like to get advice from this group first.
Any tips? Thanks.

Unfortunately you have to hit HBase directly since we don't have an API to read out the cell timestamp right now. But if it's something you're interested in and have some time, it would be nice to have that feature available at query time to set a flag "show me real times too".